Chord Mojo vs ipad/iphone
Feb 8, 2017 at 7:05 PM Post #46 of 140
I was looking for it last night but I didn't find the posts.
If I find it I will definitely post it here.

I did find a bunch of posts talking about iPhones and iPods downsampling all music to 16/44.1 despite its original quality
That definitely does happen without an external DAC.

Feb 8, 2017 at 7:12 PM Post #47 of 140
That definitely does happen without an external DAC.

I have read that it happens even with external dac's too unless you use some specific software I think they had a workaround for it?

I just started searching for specificalyl what I was writing about and if you google "apple iphone downsampling audio" there are alot of threads even on the apple forums talking about this and how external DAC's are getting 16/44.1 and how they cannot load music on their phones that are past 16/48. Some people have gotten away with doing 24/48 (i think newer iOS) but then reported that it was downsampled.

Feb 8, 2017 at 7:19 PM Post #48 of 140
I have read that it happens even with external dac's too unless you use some specific software I think they had a workaround for it?

I just started searching for specificalyl what I was writing about and if you google "apple iphone downsampling audio" there are alot of threads even on the apple forums talking about this and how external DAC's are getting 16/44.1 and how they cannot load music on their phones that are past 16/48. Some people have gotten away with doing 24/48 (i think newer iOS) but then reported that it was downsampled.

Similar to Nexus devices, playing with the stock music player will be capped at 16/44.1. You can load 24/48 but it will play at 16/44.1.

If you use Onkyo HF Player on either OS, you can access the full capability of the external DAC. You'll have to load high res files using the iTunes Onkyo interface, instead of the main iTunes music library. With Android, you would just load it through the regular directory structure.

Feb 10, 2017 at 1:18 PM Post #49 of 140
Does anyone know about anything else portable that's better than mojo? That would benefit with my ie800?

Jul 8, 2017 at 5:26 PM Post #51 of 140
Anyone tried comparison between mojo and iphone 7 or newer ipad? I can't seem to spot much difference. The mojo seems a little darker in some tracks. Using tidal hifi. Anyone know anything about general sound quality output from iphone/ipad/imac?

+1

My mojo sounds great with every source I’ve tried it with, but I can’t tell ANY difference when using it with my iPad 10.5 vs. straight out of the iPad headphone jack. I’m not sure if this means the Mojo is providing poorer quality via the iPad, or it’s just that the iPad has a really good dac of its own. I’m running iOS 11 beta 2, but I get the same result via my iPhone 7 Plus on iOS 10.3.3. I’ve listened with Elears, TH-X00, and HD600s, same results on all of them. Tidal, Pandora, and local Apple lossless files via the Apple Music app...same issue.

The only difference I can think of is that the connection to the iPad/iPhone is via the Camera Connection Kit adapter and lightening port, where all other connections are through usb or optical. Not sure if it is an issue on the Apple side, the cable connection, or something in the Mojo. Frustrating, as I bought the Mojo to enhance my iPad music while not in front of my PC.

Sep 16, 2017 at 5:48 PM Post #53 of 140
Sep 16, 2017 at 10:07 PM Post #55 of 140
Tidal is supposed to be FLAC, no?

Really would depend on what the songs were.

Tbh for me the point is moot since I wouldn't ever use a service like Tidal anyway. Its expensive as hell for literally nothing, has a horrible collection of music and poor device support aswell as a really shoddy interface and terrible playlists.

Its only really for people who spend time all day to make their own playlists and want to listen to the very small library that Tidal has. This is part of the reason my friend went back to Spotify aswell, the library is just too small to make it worth more than $5/mo.
Im a tidal user and im neither a 'make my own playlist' or 'listen to a small library' person

Sep 16, 2017 at 11:39 PM Post #56 of 140
I had the same issue. Was buying all sorts of DACS/AMPS trying to best the output of my mac, but wasn't hearing any improvement. Huge waste of money when the onboard DAC is just as good.
This just wouldn't be the case unless you have horrible headphones or a horrible Amp.
The onboard DAC in a MAC is not that good.

Sep 16, 2017 at 11:55 PM Post #60 of 140
Oh I listen to thousands of songs per month from hundreds of artists and pay $5/mo with spotify so I'm good.
I listen to millions so im better

Users who are viewing this thread

Back