Chord Mojo vs ipad/iphone
Sep 17, 2017 at 12:13 AM Post #61 of 140
Anyone tried comparison between mojo and iphone 7 or newer ipad? I can't seem to spot much difference. The mojo seems a little darker in some tracks. Using tidal hifi. Anyone know anything about general sound quality output from iphone/ipad/imac?

I cant guess there'll be a compare like that. It is not comparable ip sound to most any $150 buged amp or dap as ibasso T5, Dzero any version mk123, shalain m2s...and ofcouse way from $700 like Mojo.
How easy you realize depends on what iem/hp you have.

Sep 17, 2017 at 12:15 AM Post #62 of 140
Compressed files are fine. Spotify Extreme is OGG VBR ~320kbps. Honestly that is basically as close to FLAC as you can get and virtually indistinguishable from FLAC even on high end headphones or speakers.

OGG format I have no idea but if AAC, I DO believe as you talk

Sep 17, 2017 at 12:26 AM Post #63 of 140
OGG format I have no idea but if AAC, I DO believe as you talk
OGG VBR is just like AAC VBR.
The two are comparable and depending on the encoder one beats the other at the same bitrate.
If the two encoders are just as good AAC is SLIGHTLY better at the same bitrate.
But 320kbps OGG VBR is quite close to FLAC.

Sep 17, 2017 at 12:29 AM Post #64 of 140
I read about it in another thread where they were talking about iPhone internal processing I would link it if I remembered which one it was.

Surely it's not correct. Bcs 22khz sampling freq can cover max 11khz in output sound

Sep 17, 2017 at 12:36 AM Post #65 of 140
This just wouldn't be the case unless you have horrible headphones or a horrible Amp.
The onboard DAC in a MAC is not that good.

Neither is the case, not true at all. The onboard on a mac sounds excellent.

I've owned headphone DAC/AMPS that cost multiples of the budget SMSL stuff you list and MANY headphones that have cost multiple of the IEM's you list in your signature.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2017 at 1:47 AM Post #66 of 140
I'm assuming the iphone 6 with dedicated headphone jack has a very good DAC. I've been quite pleased with this setup. Due to the new iPhone 8 and X I've purchased a Canadian made headphone amp "Peachtree Shift". It is definitely a step up when I use tidal on my iphone 6+. Now I can easily run my modified HD800 with my Peachtree/iphone combo. The only reason why I picked up the Peachtree is because I'm prepping to purchase a new iPhone soon......

The iphone lightning headphone adapter provided with the new phone is flat and lifeless. I truly hear a big jump in SQ with my iphone 6+ with internal DAC.

I really enjoy the sound signature of the Peachtree and I just cannot justify spending more on a Mojo for my iphone 6+. Once I get the new iphone I'll revisit my new Peachtree acquistion.

Next month the new headphone amp from MYTEK will be good discussion. See if that's a Mojo killer.

If ipad retains a headphone jack I think it'll still sound great with the internal dac and and amp is not really necessary for good quality streaming pleasure.

Sep 17, 2017 at 2:11 AM Post #67 of 140
I cant guess there'll be a compare like that. It is not comparable ip sound to most any $150 buged amp or dap as ibasso T5, Dzero any version mk123, shalain m2s...and ofcouse way from $700 like Mojo.
How easy you realize depends on what iem/hp you have.

It was when using my ie800. With he1000v2 the difference is enourmous. But with my ie800 its almost no difference.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2017 at 2:24 AM Post #68 of 140
Neither is the case, not true at all. The onboard on a mac sounds excellent.

I've owned headphone DAC/AMPS that cost multiples of the budget SMSL stuff you list and MANY headphones that have cost multiple of the IEM's you list in your signature.
Congrats on wasting tons of money for no real gains.
Now you come back and say that the Mac DAC "sounds great"?
Its just a standard Cirrus Logic chip, Apple puts 0$ R&D into their products already so its whatever design comes right off the shelf with no modification.

Sep 17, 2017 at 3:37 AM Post #69 of 140
Anyone tried comparison between mojo and iphone 7 or newer ipad? I can't seem to spot much difference. The mojo seems a little darker in some tracks. Using tidal hifi. Anyone know anything about general sound quality output from iphone/ipad/imac?
Hi. It is a strange question. I read here a very nice reviews witch said there is not big difference if any between chord hugo and iphone out. This surprised me soo much that i start a thread " chord hugo is not better than iphone headphone out? Wow". To my further surprise this information is more or less confirmed. In this case it seems obvious that iphone out is much better than chord hugo. Errr realy confusing.....

Sep 17, 2017 at 4:28 AM Post #70 of 140
If you have hard to drive headphones, it would make a big difference. But with sennheiser ie800 its almost no difference imo.

Sep 17, 2017 at 4:39 AM Post #71 of 140
Its just a standard Cirrus Logic chip, Apple puts 0$ R&D into their products already so its whatever design comes right off the shelf with no modification.

The beauty of subjective chatter is that everyone has a preference. No right or wrong when it comes to what a person likes.

Apple puts substantial money into R&D..... how else do they produce the iPhone 8 and X virtually at the same exact time. Please note I use apple products with no real emotional attachments. I'm not jaded as a phone is a phone/tool and nothing more. However to say Apple does not put $$ in their products is polar opposite.

I have a pair of decent IEM's (PSB M4u4) These are nothing to brag about yet they are easy on the ears as they are not for bass heads. Also the high frequency roll off does not trigger my tinnitus.
When I use them with my iphone 6+ they sound detailed enough but not hyper detailed. The convenience in plugging in these IEM's is great. I've auditioned plenty of different portable headphones and they all have different sound signatures just like different models of headphones........it's all about Synergy!

Now that I'm more observant I see plenty of people with Campfire audio's Andromeda's being used with their older gen iphones or even android phones. The signature green buds display to the world that $$$ has been spent but I've observed them settling with streaming music with their phones. Certainly others will use dedicated players too. No one is right or wrong.

Disposable income is just used to buy toy gadgets that are nice to have. Enjoying music is not a need to have....... just one of the simple luxuries or is it a "First world problem" especially for Millennial gen.

The only person that must be pleased in their audio gear is the individual........

3 words...audition, audition and audition. People will never know until they measure SQ with their personal ears.

Sep 17, 2017 at 9:14 AM Post #72 of 140
Now that I'm more observant I see plenty of people with Campfire audio's Andromeda's being used with their older gen iphones or even android phones. The signature green buds display to the world that $$$ has been spent but I've observed them settling with streaming music with their phones. Certainly others will use dedicated players too. No one is right or wrong.

You're quoting me here lol. Yep I get plenty of smile faces when I plug my CA Vegas straight to iPhones and to my Surface Pro laptop. Zero EMI/RFI noise issues mind you.

Sep 17, 2017 at 9:49 AM Post #73 of 140

Lol. Yeah, 0 R and D from Apple. Right. They just took whatever comes off the shelf and became one of the biggest portable music device manufacturers out there (Iphone/Itouch/Ipad).

Check out this article below which is, an in depth review on an Iphone 5. Specifically, the intro and conclusion sums things up nicely!

http://www.kenrockwell.com/apple/iphone-5/audio-quality.htm

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2017 at 3:19 PM Post #74 of 140
You're quoting me here lol. Yep I get plenty of smile faces when I plug my CA Vegas straight to iPhones and to my Surface Pro laptop. Zero EMI/RFI noise issues mind you.

We Agree :)

Today I had a moment to just do some comparison between my iPhone 6+ with Denon MM400 headphones vs my portable Peachtree Shift. I'm aware that this thread is comparing to a Mojo. However my point is that when listening to comfort levels that is not damaging the ear drums the iPhone 6+ I have vs my Peachtree there is VERY LITTLE difference in SQ. I'm absolutely 100% certain that even if there is a difference it's not worth the cost of the Mojo.

There is probably an enjoyable difference but if you had to analyze your wallet vs SQ difference ........... You can appreciate the onboard DAC with built in headphone Jack in the existing apple products.

I've heard FLAC from Astell&Kern, ifi, fiio and pretty much all of the portable offerings at my local headphone shop and they can all sound good.

It's Human nature is to justify a purchase. Some are blunt and will say it's a marginal upgrade and some will glorify a purchase due to cost $$$$$

I've listened to the Audeze Sine with cipher cable and it sounded lifeless with no musical characteristics while my iPhone 6+ sounded ever so slight marginally less detail but more musical. I threw those same exact Sine headphones on a higher end Astell & Kern player and it transformed into a much more cleaner sound but my subjective ears found it having an analytical sound. The less superior dac found in the Peachtree shift amp kinda surprised me in how lush with just enough detail to satisfy musically .

I tested the Red dragon fly with my Iphone 6+ and it was mediocre at best. I found it as gritty and not refined just like my old Samsung Note 4 internal DAC /headphone jack. The factory inboard DAC in the iPhone worked really well compared to spending money on a Red dragon fly.

I could have purchased the MOJO many times but for the cost and SQ difference with my iPhone 6+ I did not see a need. Now that I'll be buying either the iPhone 8+ or "X" I cannot and will not use the factory lightning / 3.5mm jack adapter. The built in dac in that apple adapter is garbage IMO.

I'll be looking forward in comparing my reasonably priced Peachtree shift vs the new upcoming Mytek headphone amp (Cheaper street price than Mojo).

I still enjoy HP's but it's definitely a cheaper audio "fix" than 2 channel hifi stereo.

I think anyone really curious should test a friends iphone 6 series or Apple portable device and compare with a dedicated portable amp. The only crucial question is the type of headphone your testing. My HD800 is easier to drive compared to an HE 560 or HE 400i with my power Peachtree amp. IEM buds should sound great with the Apple products with dedicated jack.

Really it comes down to satisfying your own ears. No one else to impress but yourself.........

Sep 17, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #75 of 140
The beauty of subjective chatter is that everyone has a preference. No right or wrong when it comes to what a person likes.

Apple puts substantial money into R&D..... how else do they produce the iPhone 8 and X virtually at the same exact time. Please note I use apple products with no real emotional attachments. I'm not jaded as a phone is a phone/tool and nothing more. However to say Apple does not put $$ in their products is polar opposite.

I have a pair of decent IEM's (PSB M4u4) These are nothing to brag about yet they are easy on the ears as they are not for bass heads. Also the high frequency roll off does not trigger my tinnitus.
When I use them with my iphone 6+ they sound detailed enough but not hyper detailed. The convenience in plugging in these IEM's is great. I've auditioned plenty of different portable headphones and they all have different sound signatures just like different models of headphones........it's all about Synergy!

Disposable income is just used to buy toy gadgets that are nice to have. Enjoying music is not a need to have....... just one of the simple luxuries or is it a "First world problem" especially for Millennial gen.

The only person that must be pleased in their audio gear is the individual........

3 words...audition, audition and audition. People will never know until they measure SQ with their personal ears.
I can't blame you for not wanting to lug around a DAC.
My HTC 10 is perfect for when I want to listen on the Go and my FiiO K1 is my traveling DAC for my laptop.

But Apple really doesn't do much for R&D and this has shown year after year as they are far behind all of their competitors and most of their dollars are going into marketing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back