Chord Mojo vs ipad/iphone
Feb 7, 2017 at 8:50 PM Post #31 of 140
Tidal is supposed to be FLAC, no?

Really would depend on what the songs were.

Tbh for me the point is moot since I wouldn't ever use a service like Tidal anyway. Its expensive as hell for literally nothing, has a horrible collection of music and poor device support aswell as a really shoddy interface and terrible playlists.

Its only really for people who spend time all day to make their own playlists and want to listen to the very small library that Tidal has. This is part of the reason my friend went back to Spotify aswell, the library is just too small to make it worth more than $5/mo.

Tidal has different sub plans. You get lossless audio with hifi sub only. Is it expensive? Hell no. You get unlimited access to CD quality and even studio quality 96/24 music. That is value. I agree with you about playlists. But you can look at this anoher way. It pushes you to make your own unique playlists.

Feb 7, 2017 at 8:54 PM Post #32 of 140
Tidal has different sub plans. You get lossless audio with hifi sub only. Is it expensive? Hell no. You get unlimited access to CD quality and even studio quality 96/24 music. That is value. I agree with you about playlists. But you can look at this anoher way. It pushes you to make your own unique playlists.

Yea I am just someone without time to do such things. I've had Spotify for years and have made about 3-4 playlists.
My only one I actually work on is my Rap playlist, since rap has gotten so bad most of the Spotify Rap playlists are just filled with trash.

But even that I have been working on for months now and only has like 85 tracks, I am really busy with my family and business.

Feb 7, 2017 at 9:14 PM Post #33 of 140
Well, Spotify is whole another story, for me at least. I subbed to Spotify for like 2 years. Loved it a lot (still love the multi device integration and ui better than Tidal) But I did not think there was any difference in quality between 192kbps and 320kbps streams in Spotify except the data usage. That was why I stuck using it 192kHz during my sub period. And after trying out Tidal hifi with the free trial, sadly cancelled my Spotify premium sub. I suspected that if there was a 192 to 320kbps reconversion going on or I don't know.. Well, I AM pretty sure Tidal is giving the advertised quality to their subs. Because as always, I trust MY ears.

Ironically, Spotify premium (160 - 320 kbps) sounds better than Tidal HiFi to my ears. Tidal HiFi sounds "too hard/edgy" while Spotify sounds natural and lifelike.

Feb 7, 2017 at 9:28 PM Post #34 of 140

Ironically, Spotify premium (160 - 320 kbps) sounds better than Tidal HiFi to my ears. Tidal HiFi sounds "too hard/edgy" while Spotify sounds natural and lifelike.

I actually recently found some songs on amazon music that sounded even better than Spotify. I wonder if they have a new "high quality" level.

The majority of the playlists still seem to sound worse but these specific albums of electronic music sounded much better compared to the same ones on spotify.

Feb 7, 2017 at 9:42 PM Post #35 of 140

I guess HS7s deliver more details in high freq area with Tidal, that might be the reason.

Feb 7, 2017 at 9:48 PM Post #36 of 140
All these reported differences in sound between the streaming services makes me glad I already have too much music to keep up with in my own collection.

As for the original thread topic... @Roybenz, if you could try volume-matching between sources with your HE1000, it would give you a better idea of things. (This would only work up to a certain volume, of course.)

Feb 7, 2017 at 9:48 PM Post #37 of 140
I guess HS7s deliver more details in high freq area with Tidal, that might be the reason.

Yep. There's like a DSP thing going on with Tidal when I listen to it. Treble is more upfront while on Spotify, it's just right at least with the HS7s. Treble details IMO is about the same, just that aggressiveness in Tidal is what I don't like.

Feb 8, 2017 at 2:26 AM Post #38 of 140
All these reported differences in sound between the streaming services makes me glad I already have too much music to keep up with in my own collection.

As for the original thread topic... @Roybenz
, if you could try volume-matching between sources with your HE1000, it would give you a better idea of things. (This would only work up to a certain volume, of course.)

How do i preform volume matching?

Feb 8, 2017 at 7:50 AM Post #39 of 140
How do i preform volume matching?

Basically just try to make the perceived loudness the same. If you can't get the Apple source(s) loud enough with some tracks, try using other tracks that are loud enough on them, then adjust the volume on the Mojo to be about as loud. There are more precise ways of going about it, but those may require additional equipment. If you have a smartphone, you could download an SPL meter app and measure the loudness of your headphones from both sources to match the volume more closely.

Feb 8, 2017 at 9:27 AM Post #40 of 140
I see, i did try to make it the same volume, always do it like that when testing. But i will try with the db meter.

Feb 8, 2017 at 10:08 AM Post #41 of 140
The Chord Mojo will run circles around any Apple product.
Apple products have mediocre at best sound output and very little actual amp power.
They also downsample music (i believe there are some workarounds) and play things at 16bit/22khz (I think this is it).

I notice the difference with my 1More Triple Driver & my Panasonic RP-HT360's with my iTouch 6G and my HTC 10 and my FiiO K1. The iPod sounds the worst of the 3 (and the 6G iTouch is said to be the best sounding apple device by some).
Where did you get 16/22?

I've only heard and seen graphs that the headphone output is capped at 16/44.1

Feb 8, 2017 at 1:59 PM Post #43 of 140
I finally found the difference using HE1000v2, the mojo sounds rounder more controlled and nicer then the iPad, the iPad is harder in sound and the top is more messy. I can't say the same for my ie800, if i really try i can tell a tiny difference in some songs, but its almost not noticeable, these are really easy to drive compared to HE1000v2. I use questyle cma800i for those. The mojo was supposed to go with my ie800, but i won't be keeping it. 

Feb 8, 2017 at 2:30 PM Post #44 of 140
I read about it in another thread where they were talking about iPhone internal processing I would link it if I remembered which one it was.

I don't think that's quite accurate and have only seen graphs showing 16/44.1 so am curious if you ever find the thread.

Feb 8, 2017 at 6:55 PM Post #45 of 140
I don't think that's quite accurate and have only seen graphs showing 16/44.1 so am curious if you ever find the thread.

I was looking for it last night but I didn't find the posts.
If I find it I will definitely post it here.

I did find a bunch of posts talking about iPhones and iPods downsampling all music to 16/44.1 despite its original quality

Users who are viewing this thread

Back