Chord Mojo issue solutions thread.
Nov 4, 2021 at 6:22 PM Post #1,051 of 1,084
Has anyone had the issue of the Mojo disconnecting randomly? I am using it as a desktop DAC and have disconnected the battery to prevent the device from overheating as it's always plugged in. Does anyone have a solution for this? If not, are there comparable desktop dacs that can provide a similar sound signature with a Fostex TH-900?

Can you tell us more? Like are there any particular circumstances when it disconnects, or is it random?

Have you contacted Chord Electronics?

Nov 11, 2021 at 5:11 PM Post #1,052 of 1,084
After leaving my Mojo connected to a Mac Mini for few days it became very, hot to the touch. Now it does not power up and when connected to USB for charging the three buttons flash white. Who repairs these?

Feb 18, 2022 at 3:47 AM Post #1,053 of 1,084
Hi all,

Recently I was thinking about upgrading my cables between my Chord Mojo and iPhone. What I was using:

- Standard Micro USB to USB cable
- Apple lightning to USB A adapter (https://www.apple.com/nl/shop/product/MD821ZM/A/lightning-naar-usb-camera-adapter)

What I bought was:

- Audioquest Carbon dragontail (https://www.iear.nl/product/audioqu...MI58SR_u2I9gIVmOF3Ch04GgUUEAQYASABEgJAn_D_BwE)
- Audioquest Carbon USB -> Lightning (https://artsexcellence.com/audioquest-carbon-usb-a-to-lightning.html)

This seemed like a nice upgrade to me. But when testing the setup (Mojo -- dragontail -- carbon USB -> lighting -- iPhone), it didn't work.

Seems like the iPhone needs the standard Apple adapter.

I now ordered a Audioquest Carbon USB to Micro USB cable. I want to use this in combination with the standard Apple adapter. This will work, but here are my questions:

- Will I lose audio quality when using the Carbon cable with the standard Apple adapter?
- Are there any better setups that I can think of when using Audioquest cables in combination with the iPhone and Mojo?

edit: BTW, I think this thread can be moved to the Portable Headphone Amps section

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2022 at 4:59 PM Post #1,054 of 1,084
I am back with few more questions on my mind. My battery was dead, and my mojo was one of those not able to work connected to charger while battery disconnected.

So I unplugged the battery and dissected it. 2 li-ion cell and one battery circuitry came out of it. I kept the 2s circuitry and got rid of the rest. The circuitry looks like simple 2s charger circuit that has 5 pins;
B+, B-, BM, V+,V-

I had few 18650 batterie lying around, and a 2s battery slot with spring holder. So I gave it a try, charged my batteries, soldered the 2 pin plug, then connected to mojo mainboard without the 2s circuitry. Voila. Works like a charm. Downsides are:
1) Batteries need to stay outside of the mojo, so overall system looks like a Frankenstein.
2) I need to unplug batteries, and use a separate charger to charge it.

Good thing is I have 4 batteries, so while I use two, other two charges. And it takes about 8 hours to discharge one set.

But I want to turn it into desktop dac, and I want uninterrupted power supply. So I may do a supercapacitor mod but before that I want to use internal charging circuitry work again.

Remember I said I kept 2s circuitry. Today I soldered my battery contacts to 2s circuitry B+,B-,Bm pins. So battery pins read about 8 volts on voltmeter. However V+ and V- pins didn't give any voltage out. Maybe I burnt some chips during soldering, or is there any trick or reconditioning to work 2s charging circuitry again. I plugged battery+2s circuitry and plugged charger to mojo to give it a chance. Mojo did start boot sequence and after the boot it turned itself off. I left it about an hour to charge but it didn't change anything.

I have a Hx-2s-a2 li-ion charging board (a small circular shaped board) at my hand. Operating voltage of it seems like around 9 volts. So if I remove mojo 2s circuitry, and solder this hx-2s in, would that work. Does mojo internal charging circuitry gives 9v out?

Aside from this, do you have any diy project suggestion to make a 8 volt dc supply for mojo?

Aug 16, 2022 at 7:09 PM Post #1,055 of 1,084
Hi all,

Recently I was thinking about upgrading my cables between my Chord Mojo and iPhone. What I was using:

- Standard Micro USB to USB cable
- Apple lightning to USB A adapter (https://www.apple.com/nl/shop/product/MD821ZM/A/lightning-naar-usb-camera-adapter)

What I bought was:

- Audioquest Carbon dragontail (https://www.iear.nl/product/audioqu...MI58SR_u2I9gIVmOF3Ch04GgUUEAQYASABEgJAn_D_BwE)
- Audioquest Carbon USB -> Lightning (https://artsexcellence.com/audioquest-carbon-usb-a-to-lightning.html)

This seemed like a nice upgrade to me. But when testing the setup (Mojo -- dragontail -- carbon USB -> lighting -- iPhone), it didn't work.

Seems like the iPhone needs the standard Apple adapter.

I now ordered a Audioquest Carbon USB to Micro USB cable. I want to use this in combination with the standard Apple adapter. This will work, but here are my questions:

- Will I lose audio quality when using the Carbon cable with the standard Apple adapter?
- Are there any better setups that I can think of when using Audioquest cables in combination with the iPhone and Mojo?

edit: BTW, I think this thread can be moved to the Portable Headphone Amps section
https://www.amazon.com/Meenova-Durable-MicroUSB-iPhone-Android/dp/B09KLW92DJ
Iv'e had success with this OTG cable. Mojo to iPhone 12 Pro - IOS 15.6

Aug 17, 2022 at 9:49 AM Post #1,056 of 1,084
I am back with few more questions on my mind. My battery was dead, and my mojo was one of those not able to work connected to charger while battery disconnected.

So I unplugged the battery and dissected it. 2 li-ion cell and one battery circuitry came out of it. I kept the 2s circuitry and got rid of the rest. The circuitry looks like simple 2s charger circuit that has 5 pins;
B+, B-, BM, V+,V-

I had few 18650 batterie lying around, and a 2s battery slot with spring holder. So I gave it a try, charged my batteries, soldered the 2 pin plug, then connected to mojo mainboard without the 2s circuitry. Voila. Works like a charm. Downsides are:
1) Batteries need to stay outside of the mojo, so overall system looks like a Frankenstein.
2) I need to unplug batteries, and use a separate charger to charge it.

Good thing is I have 4 batteries, so while I use two, other two charges. And it takes about 8 hours to discharge one set.

But I want to turn it into desktop dac, and I want uninterrupted power supply. So I may do a supercapacitor mod but before that I want to use internal charging circuitry work again.

Remember I said I kept 2s circuitry. Today I soldered my battery contacts to 2s circuitry B+,B-,Bm pins. So battery pins read about 8 volts on voltmeter. However V+ and V- pins didn't give any voltage out. Maybe I burnt some chips during soldering, or is there any trick or reconditioning to work 2s charging circuitry again. I plugged battery+2s circuitry and plugged charger to mojo to give it a chance. Mojo did start boot sequence and after the boot it turned itself off. I left it about an hour to charge but it didn't change anything.

I have a Hx-2s-a2 li-ion charging board (a small circular shaped board) at my hand. Operating voltage of it seems like around 9 volts. So if I remove mojo 2s circuitry, and solder this hx-2s in, would that work. Does mojo internal charging circuitry gives 9v out?

Aside from this, do you have any diy project suggestion to make a 8 volt dc supply for mojo?

I've found an answer to my question. I was looking for new 2s charge board, while looking at them I've stumbled upon a solution to my problem.

So apparently these 2s charging (bms) circuits has a starting procedure. Without it, it doesn't give an output.

So there are three battery related pads and two power in/out pads. These are B+, B-, Bm, P+, P-. After you connect your battery to the circuit, you need to apply 8.4v to P+ and P- pads. Then you disconnect 8.4v and you start to get power from your batteries through P+, P- pads. I did this, and connected p+ p- pads to mojo's battery socket, and it started working and charging the batteries again.

Oct 5, 2022 at 2:22 AM Post #1,058 of 1,084
lethe27 said:

"Has anyone had the issue of the Mojo disconnecting randomly? I am using it as a desktop DAC and have disconnected the battery to prevent the device from overheating as it's always plugged in. Does anyone have a solution for this? If not, are there comparable desktop dacs that can provide a similar sound signature with a Fostex TH-900"

I'm having the same problem! I have 3 DACs plugged into my laptop and only the Mojo 2 intermittently crashes (suddenly I hear silence). I also discovered when switching off my desktop fan, it causes my Mojo to drop (most of the time). Remember, my two other DACs never drop. I tried switching out the USB cable, trying a different port and unloading and reinstalling the drivers. It's driving me crazy!

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2022 at 6:52 AM Post #1,059 of 1,084
Maybe try connecting a 220uf 16v silmic II electrolytic across where the battery was to help smooth the voltage and prevent momentary lapses from other sources of draw or momentary intermittence. I specifically pointed to that make and value because I found it sounds great across the battery of the original Mojo when used without a external power source and may help here to smooth out what appears to be momentary Voltage fluctuations as well. If the 220 isn't helping, you can always try a higher value cap to smooth the voltage it sees though you shouldn't need more for this purpose.

Oct 23, 2022 at 12:23 PM Post #1,060 of 1,084
unfortunately i had to return my mojo 2, my win 10 laptop wouldn't recognise it, tried multiple leads, eventually after a lot of uninstalling reinstalling drivers, registry clean ups it would flick between being recognised and not being recognised sometimes a few seconds sometimes less, was advised to return as faulty but a nagging doubt tells me it could have been software conflict or that i should have had a new unit to try
Anyway i have a hipdac2 that i will keep for portable and am really ,really enjoying but tempted again to try another mojo for laptop use especially as the dealer gives a 5 yr warranty and reading the sound quality reviews

Mar 3, 2024 at 9:08 PM Post #1,061 of 1,084
My Chord Mojo 2 worked consistently with Windows 10 (on Qobuz and MediaMonkey), and then today, for no reason at all, it just disappeared (meaning it's not an available output, and can't be found where it used to be plainly visible). I tried reinstalling drivers from Chord's Website. That didn't help. Has anyone experienced this? Any ideas? This thread is really long . . . :scream:

EDIT: I should add: The problem is plainly in Windows. Windows won't recognize it connected via USB C to USB C, or USB A to USB micro. But it works fine connected to my iPhone USB C to Lightning.

EDIT no. 2: I am pretty sure the problem was that I was using charging cables and not OTG cables. I somehow got them mixed up when I left home and packed my bag. I found another USB C cable, and it worked. So, I'm a dope. Leaving this up here in case anyone else has a similar problem and may need a reminder! Cheers headphone fans

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2024 at 12:58 PM Post #1,062 of 1,084
EDIT no. 2: I am pretty sure the problem was that I was using charging cables and not OTG cables.
Don't worry it is easy to do, you are not the first.

The other thing that sometimes trips owners up is using a data cable, which has no 5V Vbus or 0V connection. The Mojo needs the 5V Vbus to activate the USB receiver.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2024 at 3:03 PM Post #1,063 of 1,084
Dear head-fiers, anyone had an issue with android phone refusing to USB host mojo chord 2? Pixel 7pro, otg cable, keep getting the "couldn't switch" as i try to make the phone host. UAPP works, it does recognise the Chord. But android doesn't, so i can't use any other apps. Tried uninstalling UAPP, didn't help. Tried many different cables, no dice
Any thoughts? 🙏🙏🙏

Mar 28, 2024 at 3:28 PM Post #1,064 of 1,084
Dear head-fiers, anyone had an issue with android phone refusing to USB host mojo chord 2? Pixel 7pro, otg cable, keep getting the "couldn't switch" as i try to make the phone host. UAPP works, it does recognise the Chord. But android doesn't, so i can't use any other apps. Tried uninstalling UAPP, didn't help. Tried many different cables, no dice
Any thoughts? 🙏🙏🙏
If your phone is recent, you are probably better posting your question in the Mojo 2 thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back