Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Mar 27, 2024 at 11:53 AM Post #10,201 of 10,460
Isn't the usb c for data only? Charging is supported only by micro usb.

🤪 You are correct. Sorry.

Yes. Absolutely a usb c to micro usb off a usb c device that delivers 3A will work well.

Mar 27, 2024 at 2:17 PM Post #10,202 of 10,460
One thing that bothers me is the desktop mode. It feels a bit illogical. For example, today I started the PC and the LED was purple, so it was on the desktop mode, turned on mojo it stayed purple on the back, all good. I have it connected to a monitor USB3 port which is wired to the one from mobo (for short cable and convinience). So I've listened a bit of music, and when I stopped I turned off the mojo. It shown purple again. Now after some time monitor goes to sleep, the usb port looses power, but in the mean time also Mojo turned off (10 minutes). Ok so when I come back I turn it on, and now the light is blinking blue again, and its been so for 30 minutes. I can't possibly imagine it would loose so much charge, while it was turned off? When it was just purple lol.

Mar 27, 2024 at 2:28 PM Post #10,204 of 10,460
One thing that bothers me is the desktop mode. It feels a bit illogical. For example, today I started the PC and the LED was purple, so it was on the desktop mode, turned on mojo it stayed purple on the back, all good. I have it connected to a monitor USB3 port which is wired to the one from mobo (for short cable and convinience). So I've listened a bit of music, and when I stopped I turned off the mojo. It shown purple again. Now after some time monitor goes to sleep, the usb port looses power, but in the mean time also Mojo turned off (10 minutes). Ok so when I come back I turn it on, and now the light is blinking blue again, and its been so for 30 minutes. I can't possibly imagine it would loose so much charge, while it was turned off? When it was just purple lol.
Everytime you disconnect the power, it takes a bit time for it to go back to desktop mode. Ya, something like 30mins. It's the design, not about battery losing power.

Mar 27, 2024 at 3:00 PM Post #10,205 of 10,460
From what I understand, there are a small number of folks that disconnect and remove the battery from the Mojo 2, and plug the unit into a high quality linear power supply. This apparently forces the unit into permanent desktop mode. Obviously makes sense if your application is purely desktop (and assumes you're comfortable performing surgery on your Mojo 2!).

Mar 27, 2024 at 3:43 PM Post #10,206 of 10,460
Yeah thanks for replies guys. It was actually the cable. I found various cables I used (since included is too short) had diff level of charge, some had green, some had blue. But finally I found my Garmin device cable, which shown white led (full charge) even when connected to the PC USB3 port. Although the usb3 port doesn't have 2A, it takes a bit longer to go to the desktop mode, but it eventually went there, so all good.
Yes, some cables are not USB spec, for example ohms/m length, and will result in to great a voltage loss when charging.
At least you have now identified which cable will work for you.

Mar 27, 2024 at 4:23 PM Post #10,207 of 10,460
Possibly more to do with the electronics built into the cable ends (or lack thereof) allowing the cable to be recognised in terms of their USB specification and as being appropriate to send higher voltage/current to optimise charging speeds.

Very interesting video put together by Adam Savage of Mythbusters fame where he and a tech guy dissect and test different USB cables. They show why a Thunderbolt cable is so expensive, the amount of electonics in the body of the plugs is surprising and the detail of the design is more so, a circuit board trace that is inside another around a corner has a little wiggle/dogleg in it to match the length of the outer circuit trace.

Some cables have no electronics and devices don't know what to do with them so either don't work at all or default to absolute minimum data and power transfer. Others are different spec in the electronics and will allow only mid range data and power transfer.

Mar 27, 2024 at 5:20 PM Post #10,208 of 10,460
Possibly more to do with the electronics built into the cable ends (or lack thereof) allowing the cable to be recognised in terms of their USB specification and as being appropriate to send higher voltage/current to optimise charging speeds.

Very interesting video put together by Adam Savage of Mythbusters fame where he and a tech guy dissect and test different USB cables. They show why a Thunderbolt cable is so expensive, the amount of electonics in the body of the plugs is surprising and the detail of the design is more so, a circuit board trace that is inside another around a corner has a little wiggle/dogleg in it to match the length of the outer circuit trace.

Some cables have no electronics and devices don't know what to do with them so either don't work at all or default to absolute minimum data and power transfer. Others are different spec in the electronics and will allow only mid range data and power transfer.
USB 3 has additional pins and protocols. Through these protocols, a device can identity itself to the host.
USB 2 (Mojo2's case) does not abide by such protocols. In effect, for power purposes, it is a dumb system. The extra abilities of USB-C or USB3 are lost to a Mojo2.
I would not use the same PC for both data and charging. It may induce noise in to the system.
Use a wall charger! a proper known brand.

Mar 27, 2024 at 6:15 PM Post #10,209 of 10,460
USB 3 has additional pins and protocols. Through these protocols, a device can identity itself to the host.
USB 2 (Mojo2's case) does not abide by such protocols. In effect, for power purposes, it is a dumb system. The extra abilities of USB-C or USB3 are lost to a Mojo2.
I would not use the same PC for both data and charging. It may induce noise in to the system.
Use a wall charger! a proper known brand.

Thank you I am sure you are correct.

Frankly I was forgetting that Mojo 2 is still stuck with a Micro USB charging port from 2007 :relaxed:

Mar 27, 2024 at 6:20 PM Post #10,210 of 10,460
Thank you I am sure you are correct.

Frankly I was forgetting that Mojo 2 is still stuck with a Micro USB charging port from 2007 :relaxed:
Mojo2 is strictly a USB2 device!
regardless of the shape of the connector.
Even the USB-C data port, works ONLY in USB2. And the cables connecting it to DAPs are also in USB2.
Indeed, digital Audio does not go beyond USB2, nor it needs to.

Mar 27, 2024 at 8:12 PM Post #10,211 of 10,460
Mojo2 is strictly a USB2 device!
regardless of the shape of the connector.
Even the USB-C data port, works ONLY in USB2. And the cables connecting it to DAPs are also in USB2.
Indeed, digital Audio does not go beyond USB2, nor it needs to.

If a cheap bare bones A to Micro charging cable doesn't meet any particular spec then what ?

Presumably the Mojo 2 must do some talking with the charger assuming the charger and the cable meet basic specs but if a cable is the most basic of basic does the Mojo 2 get no communication at all and charging defaults back to the very most basic level and is thus slower ?

The chap above indicated clearly apparent charging differences, if it is a dumb system with any cable how does that work ?

I can't image any typical USB charging cables of any sane length will have enough of a difference in the most basic of electrical properties to change charging speeds, it surely comes down to electronics and protocols.

Or the chaps observations were in error and there was some other cause which was incorrectly attributed to the cables, which is of course always possible.

What am I missing here ? Not trying to argue, just trying to understand, enquiring mind is a curse sometimes ! :relaxed:

Mar 27, 2024 at 8:59 PM Post #10,212 of 10,460
If a cheap bare bones A to Micro charging cable doesn't meet any particular spec then what ?

Presumably the Mojo 2 must do some talking with the charger assuming the charger and the cable meet basic specs but if a cable is the most basic of basic does the Mojo 2 get no communication at all and charging defaults back to the very most basic level and is thus slower ?

The chap above indicated clearly apparent charging differences, if it is a dumb system with any cable how does that work ?

I can't image any typical USB charging cables of any sane length will have enough of a difference in the most basic of electrical properties to change charging speeds, it surely comes down to electronics and protocols.

Or the chaps observations were in error and there was some other cause which was incorrectly attributed to the cables, which is of course always possible.

What am I missing here ? Not trying to argue, just trying to understand, enquiring mind is a curse sometimes ! :relaxed:
If the cable is bad (high impedance, and yes! they do exist) charging either slows down or stops. If both charger and cable are good, Mojo2 decides to charge faster, because it senses that enough current is available without significant voltage drop. This is done by ascertaining the situation internally, I.e. not talking to the charger. Mojo will do the best it can under the circumstances.
At no time, will it send a signal to the charger, asking or instructing the charger.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2024 at 12:04 AM Post #10,214 of 10,460
I still have yet to get one of these, but if it's anything Chord, it's probably fantastic.

Mar 28, 2024 at 1:53 AM Post #10,215 of 10,460
From what I understand, there are a small number of folks that disconnect and remove the battery from the Mojo 2, and plug the unit into a high quality linear power supply. This apparently forces the unit into permanent desktop mode. Obviously makes sense if your application is purely desktop (and assumes you're comfortable performing surgery on your Mojo 2!).
That is extremely ironic given the stance of Rob Watts on linear power supplies:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back