Chord Mojo issue solutions thread.
Feb 28, 2019 at 6:17 AM Post #931 of 1,085
There must be a signal for him to get the power-draw message on iOS.
The USB connectors contain four wires, two for the power, plus two for the data.
Just because there is a message related to the power, does not also mean that there is a data signal.

"on the phone it says "Accessory Unavailable" Device uses too much power."
I do assume that the OP is not making a simple mistake, such as trying to feed the input signal into the mojo charging port.
A few owners have posted about trying this in the past.

Feb 28, 2019 at 6:38 PM Post #934 of 1,085
Over a hundred thousand units shipped ... very few usb failures over all. about 0.003 percent those were mostly caused by ham fisted gents forcing the connector in upside down this is quite obvious when seen under a microscope ..................... Lol
Let’s not get fanboy about this. Glad you like your Mojo, I like mine... But dude... They have a lot of USB port issues compared to other products. Come on.

The USB connectors contain four wires, two for the power, plus two for the data.
Just because there is a message related to the power, does not also mean that there is a data signal.
True, but I merely stated that some sort of signal was getting through. Data or power, take your pick. Your comment I replied to seemed to be asking the OP why he was sure it was an issue with the USB port on the Mojo, and not merely a dead cable. At least that’s what I took your meaning to be... If I was wrong, I apologize.

Since the iOS device was issuing a power-draw message, we can assume SOME sort of signal was getting through... USB power, at least. USB data just wasn’t being transferred correctly. If the OP’s iOS device software is up to date, and he has tried several different cables, I think it’s safe to assume it is an issue with the USB port on his Mojo... As I joked earlier, it’s not exactly unheard of with the Mojo.

I’ve read from several sources that the Micro-USB ports on the Mojo, Hugo, and Hugo2 all lack strain reliefs. Which of course is a pretty standard way to connect those ports... Even cheap stuff from Fiio uses some sort of strain relief. It allows the port a little play, so cable movement is not transferred directly to the soldering, which can cause it to loosen, and for the signal to be compromised.

My hope for the Mojo 2 and Hugo 3 is that they use reliefs... Or better yet, switch to USB-C ports with reliefs... USB-C being a much more robust port than Micro-USB to begin with.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2019 at 7:01 PM Post #935 of 1,085
Let’s not get fanboy about this. Glad you like your Mojo, I like mine... But dude... They have a lot of USB port issues compared to other products. Come on.

Fanboy? He designed the Mojo’s casing and runs the company.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2019 at 7:12 PM Post #936 of 1,085
Fanboy? He designed the Mojo’s casing and runs the company.
I don’t know who anybody is. Unless they’re Burt Reynolds. And then only because there are usually airboats and explosions involved.

That said, come on. We all know the Chord portable stuff seems to have more Micro-USB port issues than similar products on the market. Rather than pretending they don’t, it’s probably best to just fix the issue, no?

I love my Chord stuff. The USB port issue doesn’t change that. But it would be nice if improvements were made in that particular area on future products.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2019 at 7:15 PM Post #937 of 1,085
We all know the Chord portable stuff seems to have more Micro-USB port issues than similar products on the market

Source? This is certainly the first I've heard of that. Sounds like you're just trolling.

Feb 28, 2019 at 8:52 PM Post #938 of 1,085
Source? This is certainly the first I've heard of that. Sounds like you're just trolling.
With respect, it sounds like maybe you are the one playing the troll? The Mojo’s USB issues have been discussed many times in this very thread, as well as in threads on at least two other major headphone/AV forums... Even the Verge review of the Chord 2 mentioned a USB port issue. Is this honestly the first you’re hearing of the issue? If it is, no harm no foul... But with your post-count, it’s surprising.

Again, it’s not a huge deal. I still love my Chord stuff. But it’s something worth addressing in future products.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2019 at 9:10 PM Post #939 of 1,085
This couldn't be a case of USB being plugged into the wrong Mojo port, could it? The Mojo power port is power-hungry, but the Mojo signal port should be drawing very little USB power at all.

I switched back and forth to make sure and it was the same either way, but I did wonder the same thing after the optical input worked fine.

Feb 28, 2019 at 9:20 PM Post #940 of 1,085
With respect, it sounds like maybe you are the one playing the troll? The Mojo’s USB issues have been discussed many times in this very thread, as well as in threads on at least two other major headphone/AV forums... Even the Verge review of the Chord 2 mentioned a USB port issue. Is this honestly the first you’re hearing of the issue? If it is, no harm no foul... But with your post-count, it’s surprising.

Again, it’s not a huge deal. I still love my Chord stuff. But it’s something worth addressing in future products.

When you make a fallacious blanket statement, you will be called out. You're the one making the claim that Chord products have more usb issues than other brands, so prove it. You haven't come close yet. In fact, it is more likely that based on the huge number of Mojo units sold, that Chord ranks more reliable than other brands in this respect.

We all know the Chord portable stuff seems to have more Micro-USB port issues than similar products on the market.
- says the guy who called the owner of Chord a Chord fanboy...

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2019 at 9:55 PM Post #941 of 1,085
When you make a fallacious blanket statement, you will be called out. You're the one making the claim that Chord products have more usb issues than other brands, so prove it. You haven't come close yet. In fact, it is more likely that based on the huge number of Mojo units sold, that Chord ranks more reliable than other brands in this respect.

- says the guy who called the owner of Chord a Chord fanboy...
When many instances of Chord Micro-USB port issues can readily be found via a quick Google search, many of those reports within this very thread, it is not up to me to “prove” anything. I am not going to interrogate the people who claim to have issues. If you would like to do so, have at it.

We both know you’re being somewhat disingenuous here. Why? Do you feel some sense of loyalty because you really enjoy your Chord products? I really enjoy my Chord products too. They are not perfect. But I’ll take a lesser USB port and excellent sound over something with lesser sound but an excellent USB port any day. That said, I’d like the ports to be more reliable on future Chord products. Wouldn’t you? As someone who is likely to buy more Chord products in the future, do you believe it is in your best interest to distract attention from an area in which they could improve?

Companies that win my business tend to be outfits that are always striving to fine-tune and better their products. I believe Chord is one of those companies, despite the fact that I am not intimately familiar with the members of their leadership team. You are not being disloyal by accepting a known issue for what it is, and challenging them to do better on the new models.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2019 at 2:28 AM Post #942 of 1,085
I switched back and forth to make sure and it was the same either way, but I did wonder the same thing after the optical input worked fine.
Thinking back a few years, my first Mojo developed a problem where the USB input was no longer recognized. I never thought to check whether it also was pulling a lot of current at the time. Same as yours, the optical input worked fine. It happened early enough that the unit was replaced under warranty.

Mar 1, 2019 at 3:16 PM Post #943 of 1,085
When many instances of Chord Micro-USB port issues can readily be found via a quick Google search, many of those reports within this very thread, it is not up to me to “prove” anything. I am not going to interrogate the people who claim to have issues. If you would like to do so, have at it.

We both know you’re being somewhat disingenuous here. Why? Do you feel some sense of loyalty because you really enjoy your Chord products? I really enjoy my Chord products too. They are not perfect. But I’ll take a lesser USB port and excellent sound over something with lesser sound but an excellent USB port any day. That said, I’d like the ports to be more reliable on future Chord products. Wouldn’t you? As someone who is likely to buy more Chord products in the future, do you believe it is in your best interest to distract attention from an area in which they could improve?

Companies that win my business tend to be outfits that are always striving to fine-tune and better their products. I believe Chord is one of those companies, despite the fact that I am not intimately familiar with the members of their leadership team. You are not being disloyal by accepting a known issue for what it is, and challenging them to do better on the new models.

Alot of the problems that were caused was because people were using third party cables on an iphone, each ios update made the cable not work anymore, as chinese companies were counterfeiting apple lightning cable chips and transplanting them onto silver cables. Apple found out and started blocking them with each ios update.

Had the folk just bought a cck cable, everything would of worked properly from the start. The cck cable made their setup look ugly so they bought dodgy cables and blamed it on chord.

I’ve had 3 mojo’s, 2 poly’s and 1 hugo 2 and none of them had/have shady usb ports. By rights, since there has been roughly 100k mojos made and shipped, I would of had a 1 in 3 chance of owning one of them shady mojos, but nope.

If there was a legit usb problem, it probably affected only the first batch of mojo’s as nobody that I know has had usb problems with their mojo’s usb ports.

Am I trolling you ?

Chances are high that I’am, but I wouldn’t admit it to you, especially in public.

Lol, mojo ideas being a chord fanboi. Funniest thing I’ve read on HF today.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2019 at 4:53 PM Post #944 of 1,085
Lol, mojo ideas being a chord fanboi. Funniest thing I’ve read on HF today.
I know, right? What an idiot I am! When is this famous, famous person (who everyone who is not an idiot knows) next starring in a major motion picture or TV show? Did they really get that shredded from the Keto diet? Will they be issuing a twitter apology for the E! News interview where they claimed to have enjoyed Flipper as a child, not knowing how offensive that is to people who identify as dolphins? What about the TMZ report that they have left Jennifer Anniston, and are now seeing Angelina Jolie, their blinding star-wattage combining to form the staggeringly famous and instantly recognizable “Mojolina”?

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2019 at 5:07 PM Post #945 of 1,085
I know, right? What an idiot I am! When is this famous, famous person (who everyone who is not an idiot knows) next starring in a major motion picture or TV show? Did they really get that shredded from the Keto diet? Will they be issuing a twitter apology for the E! News interview where they claimed to have enjoyed Flipper as a child, not knowing how offensive that is to people who identify as dolphins? What about the TMZ report that they have left Jennifer Anniston, and are now seeing Angelina Jolie, their blinding star-wattage combining to form the staggeringly famous and instantly recognizable “Mojolina”?

Somebody needs to be a tv or film star to be famous ?

What about Jesus, he is famous and not a tv in sight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back