Chord Mojo issue solutions thread.
Sep 17, 2017 at 1:55 PM Post #751 of 1,084
So far so good but im not noticing major difference in SQ using my westone w60. Maybe the bass is punchier but thats it dunno if its worth the price...was expecting some wow improvement reafing through the reviews and the hype around here..

lol, such is life, my friend, such is life. Especially in the audiophile world. I have an Asgard 2/modi 2, ifi idsd black label and a Mojo. Mojo is supposed to have this magical musical qualify that eclipses space and time! It does have a smoothness, but I find the black label more articulate (ever so slightly). Both Mojo and idsd do have noticeably better bass in higher quantities than Asgard 2/modi 2, the only difference that you can put your finger on.

How many times have I ordered a headphone online, waiting for it with baited breath, romanticizing the glorious sound that will soon be on my ears (often based on reviews+headfi chatter) only to get them in the mail, put them on and say "meh". Then, you spend some time with the phones and you grow to like them, like an arranged marriage. There are a few exceptions, but most equipment does this. At least with headphones, there is always a noticeable difference in signature and sound quality between them. With amps and dacs, especially on a high level, you have to squint one eye and play 14 different tracks just to maybe notice a difference so slight that you say to your self, "I think that's better or different, but is that my mind playing tricks?" And, some rare notable exceptions, but very rare.

All this said, I still love the art of sound and the sight, touch and smell of electronics. Even the taste of wire insulation in my mouth sometimes when I use my teeth to strip a wire. I know, I'm sick, Headfi is a self-help group. Now leave me alone, I have to go wait 6-12 months for my Cavalli Amp to arrive from MD

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2017 at 2:32 PM Post #752 of 1,084
Yup at leat with iem you can expect different sound signature, soundstage etc.maybe if i use some cheap headphones id notice a difference

Sep 17, 2017 at 4:51 PM Post #753 of 1,084

That is pretty awesome but that case is not good for protecting your phone. The lip of the case needs to come up above the edge of the screen more to keep it from cracking when it falls. the way the mojo snaps into it is pretty cool though! Also that short lightning to micro usb is great but $130? id rather not. Thanks for bringing my attention to that case though. I think I am gonna try to 3d print something like that.

Sep 18, 2017 at 12:56 AM Post #754 of 1,084
That is pretty awesome but that case is not good for protecting your phone. The lip of the case needs to come up above the edge of the screen more to keep it from cracking when it falls. the way the mojo snaps into it is pretty cool though! Also that short lightning to micro usb is great but $130? id rather not. Thanks for bringing my attention to that case though. I think I am gonna try to 3d print something like that.

You have a point, but the cost of the cable a for a big part due to Apple with their "have to validated by Apple" stuff. So special equipment is needed and seen this truly makes it compact i though for a 1000$ phone and 600$ DAC the cable does not make the cost of the setup. (dismissing the fact that Apple does not allow USB-out over 48Khz ... a bit of a silly construction).

On an iPhone the max out is 48Khz, on an android it has no maximum, but those of the devices involved. So 192/24 is no issue on an android device.

Hope you can make a cool 3D print. Have a look at the FIIO system with the frame to hold-on DAC's when stacking, there are rubber bands, but not in front of the screen.

Sep 18, 2017 at 4:43 AM Post #755 of 1,084
Hi All,

I just got my mojo from massdrop.

I am having disconnects.

I think it is due to low battery but the battery indicator is blueish indigo.

I am using windows 7.

My mojo just auto shutdown after a while.

Anyone had the same issue?

Ok it seems that the battery indicator is always blue while charging...

It will only show the blinking red when it is not charging.. sorry for not noticing it earlier.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2017 at 6:26 AM Post #756 of 1,084
(dismissing the fact that Apple does not allow USB-out over 48Khz ... a bit of a silly construction).
On an iPhone the max out is 48Khz, on an android it has no maximum, but those of the devices involved. So 192/24 is no issue on an android device.

The 48 KHz cap on iPhone is only for built-in Music player app. You can USB-OUT hi-res with third party apps like Onkyo HF.

Sep 18, 2017 at 7:20 AM Post #757 of 1,084
Hi All,

I just got my mojo from massdrop.

I am having disconnects.

I think it is due to low battery but the battery indicator is blueish indigo.

I am using windows 7.

My mojo just auto shutdown after a while.

Anyone had the same issue?

Ok it seems that the battery indicator is always blue while charging...

It will only show the blinking red when it is not charging.. sorry for not noticing it earlier.
If you have flashing red, you have less than 2% battery, so it is not surprising if your mojo shuts down. There is also an auto shutoff if the mojo has been without signal for a few minutes. Have you read all the charging info in the faq section of the main mojo thread?

Sep 18, 2017 at 8:00 AM Post #758 of 1,084
The 48 KHz cap on iPhone is only for built-in Music player app. You can USB-OUT hi-res with third party apps like Onkyo HF.

(No, no. The usb out on an iPhone, also to external DACs is limited to 48Mhz.
It is known and documeted. No matter the App or devices.... it is a limit set by Apple.)

my comment () stand correct. Error is on my part.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2017 at 8:35 AM Post #759 of 1,084
If you have flashing red, you have less than 2% battery, so it is not surprising if your mojo shuts down. There is also an auto shutoff if the mojo has been without signal for a few minutes. Have you read all the charging info in the faq section of the main mojo thread?

thanks for replying.

i just found out how the charging indicator works right after i post.

initially i thought the indicator will grow red while charging. it seems that it will only glow red when it is not charging.

it is working fine now. thanks.

Sep 18, 2017 at 10:38 AM Post #760 of 1,084
No, no. The usb out on an iPhone, also to external DACs is limited to 48Mhz.
It is known and documeted. No matter the App or devices.... it is a limit set by Apple.

I ll try to find a link to the official Apple feedback on it.

This is definitely > 48 KHz

kt-mojo-600.png

mojo-sample-rates.jpg

Sep 18, 2017 at 12:01 PM Post #761 of 1,084
This is definitely > 48 KHz

mojo-sample-rates.jpg

I stand corrected! Thank you for your input.
I used Equalizer Pro, that plays FLAC ... but apparently the App down-samples.

What App do you use? How much is it?

Thanks again for correcting me!! Much appreciated.

Sep 20, 2017 at 3:48 AM Post #762 of 1,084
I'm sorry you've had this problem however your statements that it just fell off are just untrue! Because your images clearly show that all four vertical through hole pins have been ripped out of the circuit board and the large solder pad under the connector has also been ripped off the board showing us that extreme force has been applied this connector with the likely fulcrum being the outer case so this would imply a strong downward force from a high quality USB plug has acted on the lip of the case applying many foot pounds of force to the connector so please just send the unit back through your retailer and we will fix it and do us a favour let's have less of this " just fell off nonsense please!

Huge thanks to Mr. John Franks who helped me get my Mojo USB repaired for no cost even though it was out of warranty! Really appreciate the kind gesture from Chord!

I guessed as much that they would not re-solder the microUSB port and they replaced the entire PCB.. my previous board had the revision dated 1/8/15, and this replacement board has the revision dated 8/8/16 and has the auto-shutoff feature.. really thankful for that!

I have been using my Shanling M1 directly from the headphone out for the past few days when my Mojo was away and had a chance to reacquaint myself with the SQ with and without the Mojo.. I have to say the sound is not a big difference that jumps out at you immediately.. but it takes time..

With the M1 standalone, the sound sounds tinny and harsh.. but not by a great amount.. but somehow I find that I can't listen to it for long without getting some fatigue in my ears..

With the Mojo there is a very subtle difference in sound that I would describe as being 'smoother'.. like comparing fine grit sandpaper to silk rubbing on your skin..

Needless to say I would be treating my Mojo with much more care this time around.. music without it just isn't the same!

Sep 20, 2017 at 5:46 PM Post #763 of 1,084
Huge thanks to Mr. John Franks who helped me get my Mojo USB repaired for no cost even though it was out of warranty! Really appreciate the kind gesture from Chord!

I guessed as much that they would not re-solder the microUSB port and they replaced the entire PCB.. my previous board had the revision dated 1/8/15, and this replacement board has the revision dated 8/8/16 and has the auto-shutoff feature.. really thankful for that!

I have been using my Shanling M1 directly from the headphone out for the past few days when my Mojo was away and had a chance to reacquaint myself with the SQ with and without the Mojo.. I have to say the sound is not a big difference that jumps out at you immediately.. but it takes time..

With the M1 standalone, the sound sounds tinny and harsh.. but not by a great amount.. but somehow I find that I can't listen to it for long without getting some fatigue in my ears..

With the Mojo there is a very subtle difference in sound that I would describe as being 'smoother'.. like comparing fine grit sandpaper to silk rubbing on your skin..

Needless to say I would be treating my Mojo with much more care this time around.. music without it just isn't the same!
Glad that was all sorted out.
Yet another example of Chord going the extra mile, to solve an issue for a customer. :slight_smile:

Sep 26, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #765 of 1,084
Thank you for your response. Regarding to issue 1,just to be more specific: I could not switch it to line level mode only while charging it. I can only do it while it is only using battery.
Hi guys,

I have the same behaviour on my Mojo aswell, line out can not be selected when turned off and on while on charger. Is this normal to all the mojos? I haven`t found any info on this in the manual. Another observation is, that no matter if turned off without charger or left on charger, every time Mojo is started with an active charger, it will not go through the colour cycle on power on.

Thanks for your observations in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back