Chord Mojo issue solutions thread.
Sep 13, 2017 at 3:08 AM Post #736 of 1,084
I had a usb problem with my Mojo just after getting it second hand and I contacted Chord. They told me my unit was out of warranty and referred me to a hifi place that could fix it. They ended up replacing the entire main board and it cost around $180. If you are handy with a soldering iron you could try soldering on a new one yourself.

thanks, I contacted the local distributor in my country and they told me to bring it down to get a quote.. I'm afraid they might indeed tell me that the entire board has to be replaced.. in that case I would rather risk it and try to do a fix myself.. this is disappointing.. i thought the Mojo was well built but it seems the USB ports are likely points of failure if you apply stress to them over time.. and if I were to get a quote for $180 just to fix a disconnected USB port.. well that's just insane.....

Sep 13, 2017 at 9:58 AM Post #737 of 1,084
image.jpeg

the entire USB connector just fell off its socket.. the legs of the USB connector are all still intact so they didn't shear off.. maybe there wasn't enough solder to hold it from stress over time.. or maybe my connector took a hard knock recently at just the right angle..

image.jpeg

anyway the connector fell off cleanly except for the leftmost pin where the trace has sheared off.. otherwise it would've been a simple fix.. unfortunately this means I definitely won't be bringing it to the distributor as they'd surely want to replace the whole PCB.. I'll find a contact who can perform reflow soldering and perhaps do a point to point connection from the broken off trace to the USB pin..

be careful with your USB jack guys..

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2017 at 3:11 PM Post #738 of 1,084

the entire USB connector just fell off its socket.. the legs of the USB connector are all still intact so they didn't shear off.. maybe there wasn't enough solder to hold it from stress over time.. or maybe my connector took a hard knock recently at just the right angle..

anyway the connector fell off cleanly except for the leftmost pin where the trace has sheared off.. otherwise it would've been a simple fix.. unfortunately this means I definitely won't be bringing it to the distributor as they'd surely want to replace the whole PCB.. I'll find a contact who can perform reflow soldering and perhaps do a point to point connection from the broken off trace to the USB pin..

I'm sorry you've had this problem however your statements that it just fell off are just untrue! Because your images clearly show that all four vertical through hole pins have been ripped out of the circuit board and the large solder pad under the connector has also been ripped off the board showing us that extreme force has been applied this connector with the likely fulcrum being the outer case so this would imply a strong downward force from a high quality USB plug has acted on the lip of the case applying many foot pounds of force to the connector so please just send the unit back through your retailer and we will fix it and do us a favour let's have less of this " just fell off nonsense please!

Sep 13, 2017 at 3:54 PM Post #739 of 1,084
In fairness to Chord, on the main Mojo thread, they have long been advising against the use of items such as usb adaptor plugs, because it is so easy to accidently knock the plug (or put the mojo/plug in ones bag), and then break/lever the socket from the circuit board.
Those of us who are long time followers of the Chord threads do try and pass on the advice when anyone proposes using a socket, and thankfully cases like yours have consequently proved rare.
Return your mojo through your dealer, and hopefully everything can get sorted out quickly. :relaxed:

Sep 13, 2017 at 9:44 PM Post #740 of 1,084
I'm sorry you've had this problem however your statements that it just fell off are just untrue! Because your images clearly show that all four vertical through hole pins have been ripped out of the circuit board and the large solder pad under the connector has also been ripped off the board showing us that extreme force has been applied this connector with the likely fulcrum being the outer case so this would imply a strong downward force from a high quality USB plug has acted on the lip of the case applying many foot pounds of force to the connector so please just send the unit back through your retailer and we will fix it and do us a favour let's have less of this " just fell off nonsense please!

I will say it is definitely due to a large force.. I usually use my Mojo with a Shanling M1 and a USB-C to MicroUSB (short) adapter and I put both devices in my bag during my commute.. I have been using it this way for some time and I guess I have been putting stress on this USB port without being aware of it.. the Mojo is definitely built like a tank but I will definitely make sure to find another way to use it such that it is protected while used this way (after I get it fixed).

This would be a user issue (me) and I use my Mojo every day for hours on my commute and at work, I was emphasizing to the others as well who would most likely be using it this way as well to be careful because I surely didn't think this could eventually happen. :smile_phones:

Sep 15, 2017 at 4:15 AM Post #741 of 1,084
Question 1: Does Moon have a Blue Dragon Micro USB to MIcro USB cable to connect Android to Mojo? I dont see it in their OTG cable section on their website, but I hear they have one. Anyone have a link?

Question 2: Might be more of an Android question, but occasionally when using either Type C to Micro USB input or Micro USB to Micro USB on the Mojo my device will play for a while, maybe even an hour or so and then out of the blue there is a click sound and Mojo will not longer receive a signal from the phone or DAP. It's almost as if it is shorting out for a split second on the USB out and then the Android device goes into protection mode because when I try the device again later, it works again.

I have had this happen with several OTGs and with a V20, G6 and Pionner XDP 100R. I have also noticed it with my iFi iDSD Black Label. So, its probably not a direct Mojo issue, but was hoping someone had experience dealing with and fixing this issue.

Just wondering if there is a fix for this? Maybe a better OTG cable? Software update?

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2017 at 8:19 AM Post #742 of 1,084
Just received my mojo this morning, great device, howver i hear interfence with my s8 on both wifi and 4g and that causes clicks or pops from time to time. Any solution or just a longer cable?

Sep 15, 2017 at 8:28 AM Post #743 of 1,084
Just received my mojo this morning, great device, howver i hear interfence with my s8 on both wifi and 4g and that causes clicks or pops from time to time. Any solution or just a longer cable?

Use a meter long cable and separate them at least 2 feet from each other. Interference solved. The best solution is of course get the Poly or other bluetooth to SPDIF devices

Sep 15, 2017 at 8:32 AM Post #744 of 1,084
Use a meter long cable and separate them at least 2 feet from each other. Interference solved. The best solution is of course get the Poly or other bluetooth to SPDIF devices
Buying another gadget is not part of my immediate plans however ill be trying a longer cable.

Sep 15, 2017 at 10:24 AM Post #745 of 1,084
Buying another gadget is not part of my immediate plans however ill be trying a longer cable.
Firstly try switching your phone to airplane mode. If the crackles disappear, then at least you have confirmed that the issue was RFI. If the crackles continue, then you have identified that the issues are more related to electrical noise generated internally by your phone and/or pauses/breaks in the stream of music data - probably caused by phone or music player app settings.

Sep 15, 2017 at 10:47 AM Post #746 of 1,084
Firstly try switching your phone to airplane mode. If the crackles disappear, then at least you have confirmed that the issue was RFI. If the crackles continue, then you have identified that the issues are more related to electrical noise generated internally by your phone and/or pauses/breaks in the stream of music data - probably caused by phone or music player app settings.
thanks that was something i thought of, i just put the 2 far from each other i didnt get any interference. i Will get them close again and turn airplane mode and see how it goes

Sep 15, 2017 at 1:23 PM Post #747 of 1,084
Ok so now even if the 2 devices touch each other with music off no interferenve be it on 4g or wifi. Weird if you ask me. Ill monitor if it comes back

Sep 16, 2017 at 5:57 PM Post #748 of 1,084
Sep 16, 2017 at 6:21 PM Post #749 of 1,084
Ok so now even if the 2 devices touch each other with music off no interferenve be it on 4g or wifi. Weird if you ask me. Ill monitor if it comes back
All I can add is that when I initially used Mojo with my phone, I removed the RFI by using ferrite chokes, but still had electrical interference caused by the phone (mostly triggered by an update to android overwriting my phone settings).
So monitor how you get on.

Sep 17, 2017 at 5:39 AM Post #750 of 1,084
So far so good but im not noticing major difference in SQ using my westone w60. Maybe the bass is punchier but thats it dunno if its worth the price...was expecting some wow improvement reafing through the reviews and the hype around here..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back