Chord Mojo issue solutions thread.
Dec 17, 2016 at 2:05 PM Post #466 of 1,085
Looks like my Mojo broke this week... I got a new headphone and while testing them noticed that there´s a clearly audible crackle/popping sounds every now and then. First I thought it was the new headphones, but the sounds are gone with other sources. Started to investigate and it seems my Mojo no longer charges at all while powered off. The battery is almost empty (flashes red), but it won´t charge anymore. The light just doesn´t light up at all. Tried several USB chargers, cables and a few different USB ports.

Off to warranty repair it seems. Too bad, great little dac/amp otherwise!

Dec 17, 2016 at 2:13 PM Post #467 of 1,085
  Looks like my Mojo broke this week... I got a new headphone and while testing them noticed that there´s a clearly audible crackle/popping sounds every now and then. First I thought it was the new headphones, but the sounds are gone with other sources. Started to investigate and it seems my Mojo no longer charges at all while powered off. The battery is almost empty (flashes red), but it won´t charge anymore. The light just doesn´t light up at all. Tried several USB chargers, cables and a few different USB ports.

Off to warranty repair it seems. Too bad, great little dac/amp otherwise!

Sorry to hear about your possible fault.

To get it looked at, please make sure to return it via the dealer you purchased from (you should not try to send it directly to Chord Electronics, yourself)

Pity it's during the Christmas rush, but Chord will try to get it dealt with efficiently, if the postal / courier service is efficient, and provided it doesn't arrive while they are on holiday (please be realistic about this - the timing is very, very near Christmas...)

Dec 17, 2016 at 2:39 PM Post #468 of 1,085

Sorry to hear about your possible fault.

To get it looked at, please make sure to return it via the dealer you purchased from (you should not try to send it directly to Chord Electronics, yourself)

Pity it's during the Christmas rush, but Chord will try to get it dealt with efficiently, if the postal / courier service is efficient, and provided it doesn't arrive while they are on holiday (please be realistic about this - the timing is very, very near Christmas...)

Good point; just sent an email to my favorite dealer. Actually I Already got a reply, he´ll take care of it. Looking back I think the unit started breaking some time ago already... It´s been turning itself off randomly every now and them for a few weeks already despite being charged at the same time via an Apple charger that´s never before caused any issues.

Luckily I have a few backup options – using the HRT Microstreamer for now :) It´s clearly not a match for the Mojo though, that´s audible within a few minutes already.

Headphones that caught this whole issue are new Beyerdynamic T1s(2g) that I´m just burning in.

Dec 17, 2016 at 2:58 PM Post #469 of 1,085
Perhaps it might even be something as simple as the battery connector slightly loose, but no sense in invalidating the warranty by peeking.

Dec 17, 2016 at 10:59 PM Post #470 of 1,085
  Samsung Note 4 : eBay OTG USB cable : Mojo : JH Angie IEMs = occasional loud digital buzzing noise and clicking

PC : included Mojo USB cable : Mojo : JH Angies = no problems

With my Mojo connected to my Note 4 via a USB OTG cable I bought off eBay, I hear a digital-sounding, loudish buzzing, and occasional clicking.  This is not present when connecting the Mojo to the computer via the USB cable that comes with the Mojo.  Current theory is the OTG cable, which is being replaced.  Will report back.

I appear to be having a similar issue with experiencing loud digital buzzing and clicking...  were you able to resolve this?

This typically happens when my Android device is connected using a OTG cable... I too had the JH Angies - thought they were the issue - but it happens with all headphones.

Please let me know.

Dec 19, 2016 at 3:07 AM Post #471 of 1,085
Update on my Chord Mojo dropping out issue.

There were two issues maybe even a third of combination of things.

1) If you use a Corsair AXi series power supply for your computer, the Corsair Link USB Dongle that monitors your power supply via USB causes major traffic in the USB lanes = Workaround was to not use the monitoring feature

2) After disabling and removing the USB cord from the power supply, I was still getting drop offs, but it wasn't as bad.  Turns on the Chord Mojo REALLY needs to be plugged into the rear Mobo USB 2.0 port.  This 2nd step almost fixed all the drop offs and weird behaviors.  But I was still getting some drop offs.  But much more rare occurrences.

3) Nvidia's nvlddmkm.sys was causing some major DPC.  Using Latency checker.  However, this is something I haven't been able to resolved.  I have contacted Nvidia but they have no resolution other than suggest I keep an eye out on new drivers as it *might* fix the issue.  Note:  I have 2x Titan X Pascals.  I tried the Chord Mojo on an older computer with a 980TI and doesn't affect the Chord Mojo.

Dec 19, 2016 at 6:40 AM Post #472 of 1,085

1) If you use a Corsair AXi series power supply for your computer, the Corsair Link USB Dongle that monitors your power supply via USB causes major traffic in the USB lanes = Workaround was to not use the monitoring feature

2) After disabling and removing the USB cord from the power supply, I was still getting drop offs, but it wasn't as bad.  Turns on the Chord Mojo REALLY needs to be plugged into the rear Mobo USB 2.0 port.  This 2nd step almost fixed all the drop offs and weird behaviors.  But I was still getting some drop offs.  But much more rare occurrences.

3) Nvidia's nvlddmkm.sys was causing some major DPC.  Using Latency checker.  However, this is something I haven't been able to resolved.  I have contacted Nvidia but they have no resolution other than suggest I keep an eye out on new drivers as it *might* fix the issue.  Note:  I have 2x Titan X Pascals.  I tried the Chord Mojo on an older computer with a 980TI and doesn't affect the Chord Mojo.

Thanks for the update.

You have tracked down some root causes for dropouts, which only end-users of the Mojo will discover and document - this is one of the benefits of this thread.
normal_smile .gif

Dec 19, 2016 at 7:40 AM Post #473 of 1,085

I have a Corsair RMi and no issue like that, however it doesn't use a USB dongle. It simply plugs a cable from the PSU into a motherboard USB header. I had always assumed that it measures the power out from PSU. The monitoring like fan speeds I assumed were simply read from BIOS. 

Dec 19, 2016 at 8:50 AM Post #474 of 1,085
Hi,

Loving my Mojo but have one serious problem - work computer (where I use my Mojo mostly with iPhone) does not allow for driver installation. Any way I can run Mojo without installing the driver?

Thanks!

Piotr

Dec 19, 2016 at 9:45 AM Post #475 of 1,085
Hi,

Loving my Mojo but have one serious problem - work computer (where I use my Mojo mostly with iPhone) does not allow for driver installation. Any way I can run Mojo without installing the driver?

Thanks!

Piotr

Get a USB to split converter that doesn't require a driver installation. I got one from Peachtree that works but am not sure if they still make it. I think these need to be limited to 24/96. 24/192 requires a driver IIRC

Dec 19, 2016 at 12:10 PM Post #476 of 1,085

I have a Corsair RMi and no issue like that, however it doesn't use a USB dongle. It simply plugs a cable from the PSU into a motherboard USB header. I had always assumed that it measures the power out from PSU. The monitoring like fan speeds I assumed were simply read from BIOS. 

It's not really a "dongle" in a sense like we are used to seeing (a device attached to a port).  It is actually called "Corsair Link USB Dongle" in the Device Manager.  I have the same cable.  It's a Mini-USB to a USB2.0 header cable.

The only reason why I think I am having issue with this is because my ASUS X99 Strix Gaming Mobo only has 4x USB 2.0 in the rear, and then 2x USB Headers one is shared by the ROG EXT (8 possible physical ports).  However, in my built, i am using the ROG_EXT header for the ASUS ROG Front Base, and the last USB header I have is connected to one of these https://www.nzxt.com/products/iu01-usb-expansion which the front panel 2.0 USB + AXi USB cable is connected to.  I don't think the Chord Mojo and the Corsair Link like to be on the same hub.  

As for now I have the Mojo in the rear, tonight I am going to plug my AXi cable back in and see if it will still cause the drop.  If it doesn't that means the Mojo doesn't like to share the USB lanes.  If it still does, than I would think the monitor capability of the AXi is polling heavily on the USB lane

There are not many USB 2.0 ports for this motherboard.  And I think the Chord Mojo is sensitive to USB 3.0 and 3.1, because I tried using those ports as well and the Mojo was mostly skipping on the 3.0/3.1 ports instead of audio drop offs

Dec 20, 2016 at 12:14 AM Post #478 of 1,085
So i was trying to set up my mojo with my windows 10 laptop. 

I set the output to ASIO:foo_dsd_asio, set the buffer 30000 ms, and in the settings for foo_dsd_asio, i set the DSD playback method to "DoP Marker 0x05/0xFA" and the ASIO driver was set to "ASIO Chord 44.1 Khz 768 Khz". in Tools > SACD, set the output mode to DSD.

for DSD64 and DSD128 files and mp3 and flac files, the correct bitrate color flashes on the power button but when i'm trying to play DSD256 files, the mojo pops and hisses with no music. I just copied the same settings from my other windows 7 pc and i have no problems with my android phone using spotify and UAPP which leads me to think this is a windows 10 issue. Not sure if related but it's plugged in to a USB 3.0 port on the laptop. 

I've been going through the forum but i couldn't find any similar situations. Have you guys encounted the same issue?

Thanks

Dec 27, 2016 at 10:27 AM Post #479 of 1,085
First off, be sure to download the latest Foobar (dated 12/21/2016).  In any case, these settings work for me (incl. quad-DSD and DXD and SACD-R / *.iso)

Components
->DSDIFF Decoder version 1.4 (foo_input_dsdiff)
->Super Audio CD Decoder version 0.9.6 (foo_input_sacd)

Playback
->Input: DSDIFF Decoder
   . maximum sample rate [176,400]
->Output Device: DSD:ASIO:ASIO Chord 44.1 kHz 768 kHz
   . Buffer Length: [1000 ms]
   . Format: [32 bit]
   . Dither: [uncheck]
->Output Driver: ASIO Chord 1.05
    . Use 64 bit ASIO: [check] 
    . Run with high priority: [check]

Tools
->Output Mode: DSD
->DSD Output Device: DSD:ASIO:ASIO Chord 44.1 kHz 768 kHz
   . DoP: [check]
   . Configure: [don't click] will cause Foobar to crash! ("known buggy component foo_input_sacd.dll")

Dec 27, 2016 at 8:18 PM Post #480 of 1,085
  First off, be sure to download the latest Foobar (dated 12/21/2016).  In any case, these settings work for me (incl. quad-DSD and DXD and SACD-R / *.iso)

Components
->DSDIFF Decoder version 1.4 (foo_input_dsdiff)
->Super Audio CD Decoder version 0.9.6 (foo_input_sacd)

Playback
->Input: DSDIFF Decoder
   . maximum sample rate [176,400]
->Output Device: DSD:ASIO:ASIO Chord 44.1 kHz 768 kHz
   . Buffer Length: [1000 ms]
   . Format: [32 bit]
   . Dither: [uncheck]
->Output Driver: ASIO Chord 1.05
    . Use 64 bit ASIO: [check] 
    . Run with high priority: [check]

Tools
->Output Mode: DSD
->DSD Output Device: DSD:ASIO:ASIO Chord 44.1 kHz 768 kHz
   . DoP: [check]
   . Configure: [don't click] will cause Foobar to crash! ("known buggy component foo_input_sacd.dll")

hi. i'm trying out your settings. for the output device, i have DSD:ASIO:ASIO Chord 1.05. then for tools, do i need to select SACD? i couldn't find output mode aside from Tools -> SACD. I also couldn't find the DSD Output Device Option from Tools. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back