Chord Mojo issue solutions thread.
Dec 28, 2016 at 12:26 PM Post #481 of 1,085
Well, let's see --

1. Under Playback,

(a) click on the word Output and another panel will open up, at the top select the  [DSD:ASIO:ASIO Chord 44.1 kHz 768 kHz] from a long list on the pull-down menu, then close this panel

(b) click on the word ASIO under Output and a different panel will pop up, this is where you select [ASIO Chord 1.05] from a much shorter pull-down menu

2. under Tools, click on SACD and yet another panels opens up.  At the top, you need to choose [DSD] or [PCM] as your preferred output mode and it is just that, a matter of preference  If you select PCM a few more options will need to be made but the Output Device (in the middle of the panel) would remain the same in either case -- as selected under 1(a).

Please experiment with DSD and PCM output, I'd be interested to hear which you think works and sounds best.  Good luck!

Dec 28, 2016 at 7:58 PM Post #482 of 1,085
  Well, let's see --

1. Under Playback,

(a) click on the word Output and another panel will open up, at the top select the  [DSD:ASIO:ASIO Chord 44.1 kHz 768 kHz] from a long list on the pull-down menu, then close this panel

(b) click on the word ASIO under Output and a different panel will pop up, this is where you select [ASIO Chord 1.05] from a much shorter pull-down menu

2. under Tools, click on SACD and yet another panels opens up.  At the top, you need to choose [DSD] or [PCM] as your preferred output mode and it is just that, a matter of preference  If you select PCM a few more options will need to be made but the Output Device (in the middle of the panel) would remain the same in either case -- as selected under 1(a).

Please experiment with DSD and PCM output, I'd be interested to hear which you think works and sounds best.  Good luck!

Hmm i also set it like that but it's not playing quad DSD if i output it as DSD under Tools -> SACD. It's like a messed up electronic sound. could it be related to it being plugged in to a USB3.0 port? In any case though, from playing my DSD64 and DSD128 files, i couldn't hear a difference between PCM and DSD outputs admittedly. So i'll probably stick to PCM output for now so i could play my DSD256 files too. thank you for the assistance :)

Dec 29, 2016 at 8:48 PM Post #483 of 1,085
  Well, let's see --

1. Under Playback,

I changed USB cables used for connecting to my laptop. It's functioning properly now haha. Thank you for the help. :)

EDIT: Strangely not working again haha. I'll look for a different cable.

EDIT2: Yup, same problem as before. Static sounds for quad DSD. in any case, PCM output is working and seems to sound the same to me so i'll stick with that for my windows 10 laptop. When i'm on my windows 7 pc, i could use DSD output. Thanks.

Dec 30, 2016 at 9:47 AM Post #484 of 1,085
Wow, may you live in exciting times!  Don't know if I got this right, but it appears the short little cable that came with the Mojo is intended for power only?  The box content list indicates this to be the case.  

For the signal I am using a cable from Ghent Audio on the recommendation of another member.  It ships quickly from Hong Kong, is affordable and works great.  

My laptop USB port is rated only 500 mA and I believe that to be pretty much the standard for laptops.  Chord Electronics recommends "at least 1 A" so for recharging I got the Anker PowerPort2 wall wart with matching cable, again as recommended by another member, and it works really well also. Don't know why, but recharging time has been gradually increasing and now takes a full 6 hours as opposed to the advertised 4 hours, the battery may be on its way out already.  Hope not.

I would second the recommendations for both these accessories for use with the Mojo.

Dec 30, 2016 at 10:27 AM Post #485 of 1,085
  Wow, may you live in exciting times!  Don't know if I got this right, but it appears the short little cable that came with the Mojo is intended for power only?  The box content list indicates this to be the case.  yes, android phones need an OTG cable, and iphones need their own special cable. Alternatively buy the Chord module with included cables.

For the signal I am using something a cable from Ghent Audio on the recommendation of another member.  It ships from Hong Kong, is affordable and works great.  

My laptop USB port is rated only 500 mW and I believe that to be pretty much the standard for laptops.  Chord Electronics recommends "at least 1 W" so for recharging I got the Anker PowerPort2 wall wart with matching cable, again as recommended by another member, and it works really well also. Don't know why, but recharging time has been gradually increasing and now takes a full 6 hours as opposed to the advertised 4 hours, the battery may be on its way out already.  Hope not.

I would second the recommendations for both these accessories for use with the Mojo.

Anker have a good reputation on this thread. Some users do experience increasing charge time, but it is related to the charger adopting trickle charge mode, when the battery is nearly fully charged. I don't think that you have anything to worry about, but there is more discussion about charging in post #3.

Jan 1, 2017 at 7:22 PM Post #486 of 1,085
Thanks for the reassurance, I believe you are right.  Upon closer inspection, I realize the light on the Anker changes from green to blue at about the 4 hour mark, after which it is in slow charge/stand-by mode.  Another two hours or so of "topping up" and the light on the Mojo goes off.

Jan 2, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #487 of 1,085
Hey Guys,

I got my Mojo hooked up to my MBP but for whatever reason when I'm trying to use Chrome, I get no audio. If I switch to Safari then it works perfectly fine, and things like Tidal and Spotify also work great.

I did search and honestly couldn't find anything. 
confused.gif

Jan 2, 2017 at 1:51 PM Post #488 of 1,085
  Hey Guys,

I got my Mojo hooked up to my MBP but for whatever reason when I'm trying to use Chrome, I get no audio. If I switch to Safari then it works perfectly fine, and things like Tidal and Spotify also work great.

I did search and honestly couldn't find anything. 
confused.gif

Is this link from post #3 any help?
http://www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-dac-amp-faq-in-3rd-post/13095#post_12417207

I don't use a MBP so I have no expertise on getting them to work, but maybe it is just a settings issue.

Jan 3, 2017 at 9:41 AM Post #489 of 1,085
Jan 8, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #490 of 1,085
I'm having a fair amount of  difficulty when playing spotify from my phone via USB otg on android. Mojo stops playing if I move the phone at all. Tried another two small cheap cables same problem. I have one long USB cable that doesn't seem to have this problem.

Can anyone direct me to some reasonable priced USB cables and USBOTG cables that would be a good match for the Mojo?

Jan 8, 2017 at 4:07 PM Post #491 of 1,085
  I'm having a fair amount of  difficulty when playing spotify from my phone via USB otg on android. Mojo stops playing if I move the phone at all. Tried another two small cheap cables same problem. I have one long USB cable that doesn't seem to have this problem.

Can anyone direct me to some reasonable priced USB cables and USBOTG cables that would be a good match for the Mojo?

There are several cables listed within post #3 on http://www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-dac-amp-faq-in-3rd-post

only cables which prove reliable in use, stay on the lists, but this still leaves a choice of budget and premium cables. There is a preference for cables with right angled plugs, because such plugs place less strain on the mojo usb sockets.

Jan 8, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #492 of 1,085
I've been using some cheap £5 of ebay via Hong Kong and worked great though I did fit a ferrite ring around cable to block EMF interference streaming music over cellular.

Then just imported one of these solid silver ones and excellent build quality and getting no interference without a ferrite wring. Sticks out less and cable more flexible. Sure it sounds better somehow but that might just be placebo effect.

http://penonaudio.com/OTG-Pure-Silver-Cable

With cheap £5 cable

With new silver cable

Jan 11, 2017 at 11:33 AM Post #493 of 1,085
Streaming music app like itunes and spotify not work with mojo (there is no sound coming out from mojo) when I connected to galaxy A3 (OTG supported), but when I connected mojo to galaxy S7 it's all work fine playing streaming music app. Is there any fix on this?

Jan 13, 2017 at 2:45 PM Post #494 of 1,085
The USB input on my Mojo seems to be dead after a very short period of ownership, but I was going to see if anyone can recommend troubleshooting ideas before I return the Mojo to Amazon.

When I received the Mojo, the included Chord micro-USB did not work straight out of the box. However, my own micro-USB cords did work so I was not too concerned. 

The other day I was using the Mojo with my IPhone and everything was fine. I was called away and turned off the Mojo for a few minutes. When I returned to my bedroom and turned it back on I could not get the Mojo to work with my Iphone. I tried several different cables but had the same issue, with music playing through the Iphone speaker. Interestingly though when I plugged in the cable the source orb would turn red indicating the Mojo knew the source was 44 kHz. But music would just play from my Iphone speaker and not through the headphones plugged into the Mojo.

I tried several different cable as well as other Iphones to no avail. I thought maybe the Apple CCK had died, but checked it with my camera and it is working fine (at least with images). I then tried the Mojo with my computer (which has the Mojo driver installed) and the Mojo is now not showing up as a device. So the issue seems to be with the USB and not the CCK.

I suppose it could be a bad cable but I have tried a few now and the same cables seem to work well for other purposes, including transferring picture files from my DSLR. So, I don't think the problem is there. And it is very strange that the source orb lights up but sound is not outputting and Mojo is not recognized by my PC. I have used the Mojo with an optical input from my Sonos streamer and it works fine with that so I think this is purely a USB issue.

If there is some troubleshooting I would like to try it. I do like the Mojo, but given I have to ship this back to Europe I am inclined to return to Amazon for a full refund while I can and not a replacement. I am a bit skeptical of a device that fails so soon, especially since this has not been used as a portable but merely sits in one place in my apartment. Are others having trouble with the USB input or am I an outlier.

Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Jan 13, 2017 at 2:56 PM Post #495 of 1,085
  The USB input on my Mojo seems to be dead after a very short period of ownership, but I was going to see if anyone can recommend troubleshooting ideas before I return the Mojo to Amazon.

When I received the Mojo, the included Chord micro-USB did not work straight out of the box. However, my own micro-USB cords did work so I was not too concerned. 

The other day I was using the Mojo with my IPhone and everything was fine. I was called away and turned off the Mojo for a few minutes. When I returned to my bedroom and turned it back on I could not get the Mojo to work with my Iphone. I tried several different cables but had the same issue, with music playing through the Iphone speaker. Interestingly though when I plugged in the cable the source orb would turn red indicating the Mojo knew the source was 44 kHz. But music would just play from my Iphone speaker and not through the headphones plugged into the Mojo.

I tried several different cable as well as other Iphones to no avail. I thought maybe the Apple CCK had died, but checked it with my camera and it is working fine (at least with images). I then tried the Mojo with my computer (which has the Mojo driver installed) and the Mojo is now not showing up as a device. So the issue seems to be with the USB and not the CCK.

I suppose it could be a bad cable but I have tried a few now and the same cables seem to work well for other purposes, including transferring picture files from my DSLR. So, I don't think the problem is there. And it is very strange that the source orb lights up but sound is not outputting and Mojo is not recognized by my PC. I have used the Mojo with an optical input from my Sonos streamer and it works fine with that so I think this is purely a USB issue.

If there is some troubleshooting I would like to try it. I do like the Mojo, but given I have to ship this back to Europe I am inclined to return to Amazon for a full refund while I can and not a replacement. I am a bit skeptical of a device that fails so soon, especially since this has not been used as a portable but merely sits in one place in my apartment. Are others having trouble with the USB input or am I an outlier.

Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I seem to remember another person having this issue a few weeks back, and after a period of unsuccessful troubleshooting, Mojo ideas advised him to return the Mojo through his dealer.
If you search the Mojo thread, you may strike lucky and find the relevant posts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back