Chord Mojo issue solutions thread.
Jun 19, 2016 at 6:13 AM Post #241 of 1,084
Thanks! I tried charging mojo for an entire day today, but still the same. While turned off, the charging light comes on for 5 seconds then turns off, then doesn't charge at all after about 20 hours.

Looks like I need to return another mojo to my dealer.

Sorry it didn't solve the issue, but it was worth a try. Battery charging issues with Mojo do seem to fall into four categories:

1 - The combination of charger and cable is not delivering enough current, so you get the continuous light on/light off cycle - cured by changing the charger and/or cable
2 - A buzzing coming from Mojo, caused by ripple currents in the power supply (Vbus?) causing the internal inductors to vibrate - cured by changing the charger and/or USB socket
3 - Unresponsive charging due to a near fully discharged battery, causing Mojo to enter battery protection mode - cured by switch-off, then recharge after a short break
4 - There have been a handful of users, for whom their issues fall outside the top three categories, and they have needed to return the mojo to their dealer.

You have explored the first three categories, with no success, so sadly i think that you will have to return your mojo. 
frown.gif

Jun 19, 2016 at 9:35 AM Post #242 of 1,084
Thanks! I tried charging mojo for an entire day today, but still the same. While turned off, the charging light comes on for 5 seconds then turns off, then doesn't charge at all after about 20 hours.

Looks like I need to return another mojo to my dealer.

I just spotted this mentioned by Rob Watts on the Chord hugo thread in post #13473
"Its possibly its in safety charge mode. Turn it off, disconnect the charger, wait ten seconds, re-connect the charger, leave overnight and keep fingers crossed."

So you could try again, but make sure that you disconnect the charger for the ten seconds. I know the post relates to hugo, but maybe it also applies to mojo as well.

Jun 22, 2016 at 8:43 PM Post #243 of 1,084

I just spotted this mentioned by Rob Watts on the Chord hugo thread in post #13473
"Its possibly its in safety charge mode. Turn it off, disconnect the charger, wait ten seconds, re-connect the charger, leave overnight and keep fingers crossed."

So you could try again, but make sure that you disconnect the charger for the ten seconds. I know the post relates to hugo, but maybe it also applies to mojo as well.

I left it off for several hours, then plugged it in to charge for 2 days - still nothing. It does make a low whining sound when plugged in for a while then stops. Will return it. Thanks for all your help!

Jun 25, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #244 of 1,084
Has anyone had a problem connecting the mojo to an iphone 4(using CCK 30 pin adapter)?

I bought the mojo from another headfier many months ago and at that time the connection was ok between the mojo and the iphone 4.

I'm not sure why since more than a month ago I can't connect the mojo to the same iphone anymore, it says not supported or something like that when I plug the cable in.

I know that it is an old phone for todays standard and it might be the reason why it is causing this problem, however both the mojo and the iphone can connect to my pc perfectly, so I figured I should ask around.

I will need the mojo for commute everyday in like 2 weeks due to moving office location, so I really want this fixed, else I need to find another way to get a good source for my music on the go.

Jun 25, 2016 at 1:10 PM Post #245 of 1,084
  Has anyone had a problem connecting the mojo to an iphone 4(using CCK 30 pin adapter)?

I bought the mojo from another headfier many months ago and at that time the connection was ok between the mojo and the iphone 4.

I'm not sure why since more than a month ago I can't connect the mojo to the same iphone anymore, it says not supported or something like that when I plug the cable in.

I know that it is an old phone for todays standard and it might be the reason why it is causing this problem, however both the mojo and the iphone can connect to my pc perfectly, so I figured I should ask around.

I will need the mojo for commute everyday in like 2 weeks due to moving office location, so I really want this fixed, else I need to find another way to get a good source for my music on the go.

Unfortunately, I have a suspicion that some head-fi sellers (not necessarily yours) may be unscrupulously damaging their Mojo microUSB ports, and then sneakily selling-on those Mojo units to unsuspecting fellow head-fiers.

Note: I am not saying this is necessarily what has happened, with yours, but I am noticing a possible emerging pattern, generally.

When a long microUSB plug is inserted into any pocket device, it can act as a potential lever that can exert high stress upon the microUSB socket, on the device (smartphone, Mojo, etc., etc.). Most people are sensible enough to take care to prevent force being applied, inadvertently, whilst in a bag or pocket, but some people are less careful.

The specific issue you describe does sound remarkably similar to LeeMark's:

I have had the Mojo for around a month and love(d) it, but the last few days the music has been cutting in and out playing off my iPhone, wiggling the USB connected cord helped, but today nothing works and the iPhone no longer recognizes it and even says it does not support this accessory. It is not the USB cable as it happens with others and it is not the iPhone as the same thing happens with my computer. I am so sad and I am sure it needs to go back to be fixed or replaced. I called them to day format eh US and they said to email them which I did. I am waiting to hear back but was wondering if others have this issue and has anyone gotten it fixed or now a quick fix for this. Thanks.

In his case, it did turn out to be a probable damaged microUSB socket.

This does not automatically mean that your unit is also damaged, in the same way, but there seems sufficient grounds for you to contact your seller, to ask them if they would be willing to approach the dealer from whom they originally purchased the device. If they are willing to assist you, then it will be easier for you to get your unit checked by Chord personnel.

It seems rather an acute 'coincidence' that your unit, and LeeMark's were associated with the very same iPhone error message "does not support this accessory", and both your unit and LeeMark's are secondhand. Having said that, if you've been using yours, without issue, for several months, and it only developed this issue, a month ago, then perhaps it may have been damaged during your ownership?

As I'm sure you've noticed, I posted this, on the previous page, during my early discussion with LeeMark, some days ago:

The reason I asked about the connector is that very few audiophile cables have L-shaped connectors, so they have an increased chance of stressing the USB socket of DACs, due to exerting too much accidental leverage. So, damage to Mojos USB socket is one possible cause of your issue.

Additionally, I know quite a few people have experienced issues with even genuine-Apple CCKs, so it might be worth trying a new CCK.

Or maybe the M-A cable itself might have developed a fault.

It seems you're going to need to swap each part of your chain, in turn, to troubleshoot this issue.

Sorry I can't provide you with a more definite answer, but without having your set-up in my hands, I can't do more than suggest possibilities to explore.

As I remarked, a few minutes ago, in the main Mojo thread, it has, surprisingly, been known for Apple iOS updates to sometimes increase the likelihood of error messages being generated, when USB devices are connected to an iDevice - do you know if your iOS was updated around the same time your errors began appearing?

Jun 25, 2016 at 9:37 PM Post #246 of 1,084

Unfortunately, I have a suspicion that some head-fi sellers (not necessarily yours) may be unscrupulously damaging their Mojo microUSB ports, and then sneakily selling-on those Mojo units to unsuspecting fellow head-fiers.

Note: I am not saying this is necessarily what has happened, with yours, but I am noticing a possible emerging pattern, generally.

When a long microUSB plug is inserted into any pocket device, it can act as a potential lever that can exert high stress upon the microUSB socket, on the device (smartphone, Mojo, etc., etc.). Most people are sensible enough to take care to prevent force being applied, inadvertently, whilst in a bag or pocket, but some people are less careful.

The specific issue you describe does sound remarkably similar to LeeMark's:

In his case, it did turn out to be a probable damaged microUSB socket.

This does not automatically mean that your unit is also damaged, in the same way, but there seems sufficient grounds for you to contact your seller, to ask them if they would be willing to approach the dealer from whom they originally purchased the device. If they are willing to assist you, then it will be easier for you to get your unit checked by Chord personnel.

It seems rather an acute 'coincidence' that your unit, and LeeMark's were associated with the very same iPhone error message "does not support this accessory", and both your unit and LeeMark's are secondhand. Having said that, if you've been using yours, without issue, for several months, and it only developed this issue, a month ago, then perhaps it may have been damaged during your ownership?

As I'm sure you've noticed, I posted this, on the previous page, during my early discussion with LeeMark, some days ago:

thx for the reply man,

don't know bout the mojo socket, the mojo can connect to the pc without any problem, does this rule out the possibility of the mojo connector being broken?

actually about a week ago I bough a new cable and a new CCK (not official) and I still have the same problem.

there is also a possibility of the software upgrade in iphone4 causing the issue, although I didn't remember upgrading the iphone IOS lately.

I think I might email chord to ask about this.

if it turns out that the IOS is causing this, I think I will jump ship to android, most likely to samsung for my next phone.

Jun 25, 2016 at 9:43 PM Post #247 of 1,084
Hold on - although I still stand by my other remarks, made earlier, I admit I overlooked your mention of 30-pin...I kept thinking iPhone 4 has a lightning connector (I'm not an iPhone user).

If it's 30-pin, that may be the reason - but are you sure it was previously working with that iPhone and a 30-pin connector?

http://chordelectronics.co.uk/mojo/

How do I connect Mojo to my Apple iDevice?

First its important to identify what connection your iPhone or iPad uses. Older devices which use the 30 Pin connector will not work. If you have a newer Lightning connector on your device then you will need to purchase a genuine Apple Camera Connection Kit.

Once purchased, you simply need to connect the USB to Micro USB cable to Mojo. Your iDevice will automatically recognise Mojo and will instantly play music through the device.

Jun 25, 2016 at 11:17 PM Post #248 of 1,084
  Hold on - although I still stand by my other remarks, made earlier, I admit I overlooked your mention of 30-pin...I kept thinking iPhone 4 has a lightning connector (I'm not an iPhone user).

If it's 30-pin, that may be the reason - but are you sure it was previously working with that iPhone and a 30-pin connector?

http://chordelectronics.co.uk/mojo/

How do I connect Mojo to my Apple iDevice?

First its important to identify what connection your iPhone or iPad uses. Older devices which use the 30 Pin connector will not work. If you have a newer Lightning connector on your device then you will need to purchase a genuine Apple Camera Connection Kit.

Once purchased, you simply need to connect the USB to Micro USB cable to Mojo. Your iDevice will automatically recognise Mojo and will instantly play music through the device.

I just saw this, yes it was working when I got the mojo for the first time,
It's working fine for many months, it' just in the last month or so(maybe close to 2 months), that it's not working anymore.

I basically need to find a way to make it work again if at all possible.

Jun 30, 2016 at 10:36 AM Post #249 of 1,084
I am getting a replacement from the US dealer that it was bought from, Fatwyre, so I think things will work out in the end.

Just as a follow up, got the new Mojo, brand new, works perfectly, all taken care of.  Nice!

Jul 3, 2016 at 5:57 AM Post #250 of 1,084
I've happily used the Mojo connected to a specially built (fanless) PC for the last 5 months.
It's never been used as a portable device.
This week Foobar 2000 has started to give me a message
"Unrecoverable playback error: Cannot load audio device driver"
Mojo does not show up anymore in the Sound Devices Panel where my sound card does show up.
I've tried ALL of the USB ports in both PCs
I've tried 6 different USB cables including the one that came with Mojo and also one that is terminated as type C at the PC end
I've unchecked the box in device manager that prevents the USB hub from sleeping to save power
I've uninstalled and reinstalled the Chord Driver to no avail
I've even reset the Windows 10 installation
I've deleted and re-installed ASIO and WASAPI
I've tried Mojo in another PC - it's exactly the same as the first PC
Mojo does not appear in the list of connected sound devices and not in device manager
The Coaxial and Optical inputs both work fine but my audio PC doesn't have those outputs.
I'm at my wits end. Can I try anything else or is my Mojo faulty?
Also I've noticed an issue where the 2 volume control lights stay lit but the power button light goes out.
Please help

Jul 3, 2016 at 9:18 PM Post #251 of 1,084

Also I've noticed an issue where the 2 volume control lights stay lit but the power button light goes out.
Please help

When the power light goes out and the volume lights are on, it usually means theres no input detected, in your case the USB. Try another PC, but it does sound like the USB input has failed.

I just got my 2nd mojo replaced with a new one under warranty. 

Jul 5, 2016 at 9:23 PM Post #252 of 1,084
I have had the Mojo for 8 months and have just bought FLC8s and I am now finding that I have an electrical whilstling noise that sometimes goes away when the volume buttons are used.

Is this a known issue with the Mojo and certain high sensitivity iems?

Is this a return to dealer? It would be bad to be without it whilst it gets repaired :frowning2:

Jul 5, 2016 at 9:25 PM Post #253 of 1,084
That is not a 'known issue' during normal operation.

I recommend you contact your dealer.

Note:

Some people have reported some charging noise, when using poorly-regulated USB chargers, but that tends to be externally-audible, rather than through the headphone output, and tended to be mostly only on the very early units (see the section 'Battery & Charging' > 'Charging Noise', in the main Mojo thread)

Jul 5, 2016 at 9:52 PM Post #254 of 1,084
  That is not a 'known issue' during normal operation.

I recommend you contact your dealer.

Note:

Some people have reported some charging noise, when using poorly-regulated USB chargers, but that tends to be externally-audible, rather than through the headphone output, and tended to be mostly only on the very early units (see the section 'Battery & Charging' > 'Charging Noise', in the main Mojo thread)

I found the same info in the main thread but the noise is when the unit is not charging and even when no source is attached.

I contacted my local dealer and they have a new unit to compare against to see if it is the flc8s or the mojo. If it is the mojo they will swap and I get a new unit without having to wait for repair!

Jul 8, 2016 at 10:53 PM Post #255 of 1,084

Sorry it didn't solve the issue, but it was worth a try. Battery charging issues with Mojo do seem to fall into four categories:

1 - The combination of charger and cable is not delivering enough current, so you get the continuous light on/light off cycle - cured by changing the charger and/or cable
2 - A buzzing coming from Mojo, caused by ripple currents in the power supply (Vbus?) causing the internal inductors to vibrate - cured by changing the charger and/or USB socket
3 - Unresponsive charging due to a near fully discharged battery, causing Mojo to enter battery protection mode - cured by switch-off, then recharge after a short break
4 - There have been a handful of users, for whom their issues fall outside the top three categories, and they have needed to return the mojo to their dealer.

You have explored the first three categories, with no success, so sadly i think that you will have to return your mojo. 
frown.gif

I love the sound of the Mojo and it is FREAKING amazing; but damn, this thing is fussy. You would think for the price they would include a charger. Remember Chord you have to engineer the human out. Whatever... I bought another charger and this fixed overheating problems. A DAC that overheats! Sounds amazing but poorly engineered in some respects. I also have had odd Windows problems. When I am tired at the end of the day and just want to listen to music and my stuff to work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back