Chord Mojo issue solutions thread.
Jul 13, 2016 at 11:25 AM Post #271 of 1,076

I think the two plugs at the end of OTG cables have their pins grounded differently, so they will only connect the mojo correctly, if the correct plug is in the mojo, and the other in the phone.
So retry your original cable, and if it doesn't work first time, try reversing the cable, and try again. 

Yup, tried both ways, no luck

Jul 13, 2016 at 11:31 AM Post #273 of 1,076

Pity, that would have been a simple solution, had it worked.

maybe it's a case of the thin cable not supplying enough current to the Mojo for it to recognise that a signal is being fed to it...or something like that. But whatever, the fact is I got it to work with the phone (albeit with a really weird random rebooting issue)

Jul 18, 2016 at 4:28 PM Post #276 of 1,076
I am gonna say it. This DAC can be fussy. The battery design and Windows drive can be iffy. The battery still gives me intermittent thermal shutdown issues when there should be none. I constantly have to reset the Mojo on my Windows 10 machine because it won't handshake. I have owned several DACs and they have all been SET AND FORGET. I love the sound but I do sometimes get tired of constantly having to reset it. It is still brilliant and once the sounds starts I forget the issues.

Jul 18, 2016 at 4:41 PM Post #277 of 1,076
This is one of the least fussy DACs I have ever encountered. It easily allows me to switch from headphone mode to DAC mode. It handles any audio I throw its way, including the only time I've seen DSD at 4x work properly. It automatically selects the input I have plugged in, be it USB, Toslink or COAX. It automatically keeps its battery at top charge, so I can leave it plugged in 24/7. But it does not need to run 24/7, unlike some DACs, so I just throw it into the bag, and I have immediate good sound wherever I go. I've often brought this to meets to feed into two separate amplifiers. It works well sourced from my Android, iDevice, and Mac computers, seamlessly with the exception of using UAPP on Android (but that's an Android issue). I like the sound and the features of this DAC.

Jul 18, 2016 at 4:42 PM Post #278 of 1,076
  This is one of the least fussy DACs I have ever encountered. It easily allows me to switch from headphone mode to DAC mode. It handles any audio I throw its way, including the only time I've seen DSD at 4x work properly. It automatically selects the input I have plugged in, be it USB, Toslink or COAX. It automatically keeps its battery at top charge, so I can leave it plugged in 24/7. But it does not need to run 24/7, unlike some DACs, so I just throw it into the bag, and I have immediate good sound wherever I go. I've often brought this to meets to feed into two separate amplifiers. It works well sourced from my Android, iDevice, and Mac computers, seamlessly with the exception of using UAPP on Android (but that's an Android issue). I like the sound and the features of this DAC.

I wish I was you. This has not been my experience.

Jul 18, 2016 at 4:45 PM Post #279 of 1,076

I wish I was you. This has not been my experience.

I agree with you on the Hugo, which sounds fantastic, but has some user interface issues.

Have you left your Mojo plugged in 24/7, to allow the battery to equalize with the power source. And do you have a clean USB charger, such as the Apple charger that is highly recommended on this thread? I use the charger that came with my Android tablet, which has a similarly clean charge. Once it is fully charged, I've had no issues with thermal or noise during the re-charge cycles.

Jul 18, 2016 at 4:55 PM Post #280 of 1,076
  I agree with you on the Hugo, which sounds fantastic, but has some user interface issues.

Have you left your Mojo plugged in 24/7, to allow the battery to equalize with the power source. And do you have a clean USB charger, such as the Apple charger that is highly recommended on this thread? I use the charger that came with my Android tablet, which has a similarly clean charge. Once it is fully charged, I've had no issues with thermal or noise during the re-charge cycles.

I do leave it plugged in 24/7 but I do turn it off at night to conserve the battery and I turn on when in use. You are right this does help. It seems when I have issues they show up intermittently. Just seems I have to reset it quite a bit lately. Next week it could be well behaved. Will I get rid of my Mojo. NEVER! I freaking love it! The Mojo is like a mistress, hot in bed but fussy. My old rDAC was like a faithful wife, reliable and no fuss (hopefully) but boring in bed :)

Jul 18, 2016 at 4:55 PM Post #281 of 1,076
Some people have found that simply turning Mojo on its edge prevents thermal issues.

I understand some people getting frustrated by thermal shutdown, but 95% of Mojo owners do not experience that, and it is easy to forget that Mojo is using vastly more silicon horsepower to process the digital signal than most other DACs on planet earth, and in a tiny case size.

As for windows losing handshake with Mojo... I'm honestly not sure whether Mojo is to blame for that, or the Chord driver, or Windows 10.

Jul 18, 2016 at 5:06 PM Post #282 of 1,076
  Some people have found that simply turning Mojo on its edge prevents thermal issues.

I understand some people getting frustrated by thermal shutdown, but 95% of Mojo owners do not experience that, and it is easy to forget that Mojo is using vastly more silicon horsepower to process the digital signal than most other DACs on planet earth, and in a tiny case size.

As for windows losing handshake with Mojo... I'm honestly not sure whether Mojo is to blame for that, or the Chord driver, or Windows 10.

Thanks for the edge trick. I will do that. Well to be fair I do live in the Sonoran Desert where it is often over 110 degrees during the summer here. I also run tube amp/s for speakers in my room along with my tube headphone amp, so this does not help with heat. It can get warm in the evening and I am a desert native so I can tolerate more heat than most people and be perfectly comfortable. Apparently my Mojo wants me to turn down the AC :) Not sure about the Windows driver. I think it just needs an update to address handshake issues when the computer goes into standby.

Jul 19, 2016 at 7:57 AM Post #283 of 1,076

Thanks for the edge trick. I will do that. Well to be fair I do live in the Sonoran Desert where it is often over 110 degrees during the summer here. I also run tube amp/s for speakers in my room along with my tube headphone amp, so this does not help with heat. It can get warm in the evening and I am a desert native so I can tolerate more heat than most people and be perfectly comfortable. Apparently my Mojo wants me to turn down the AC :) Not sure about the Windows driver. I think it just needs an update to address handshake issues when the computer goes into standby.

Aha the root cause emerges - you live in a baking hot desert, and the internal ambient temperature in your house is hotter than most of the other Mojo users.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread-please-read-the-3rd-post/5865#post_12110900 

As John Franks rightly says, the Mojo needs a certain temperature difference between the inside of the Mojos case, and the ambient air temperature in users room.
If the internal ambient temperature inside your house is say 20C higher than most other users, then the temperature inside your Mojos case will also be 20C higher - and this is probably why your Mojo is activating the thermal shutdown.

Mython is correct with the advice to stand your Mojo on its side.
The heat (Watts) that your mojo can dissipate to the surrounding air is proportional to the temperature difference, and the surface area.
If the Mojo is placed on its back, the surface area is approx (6*8) + (2*2*8) + (2*2*6) = 104 cm²
If the Mojo is placed on its side, the surface area is approx (2*6*8) + (2*8) + (2*2*6) = 136 cm², an increase of approx 30%, so the Mojo can dissipate 30% more heat.

Every time that I see someone complain about their Mojo shutting down on them, I glance to see where they are located, and for all the instances that I can remember, they are living in one of the hotter regions of the world (Dubai and Singapore, spring to mind). Possibly Chord should update their user manual, to advise users in those regions to stand their Mojo on its side.

Jul 19, 2016 at 6:16 PM Post #284 of 1,076

Aha the root cause emerges - you live in a baking hot desert, and the internal ambient temperature in your house is hotter than most of the other Mojo users.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread-please-read-the-3rd-post/5865#post_12110900 

As John Franks rightly says, the Mojo needs a certain temperature difference between the inside of the Mojos case, and the ambient air temperature in users room.
If the internal ambient temperature inside your house is say 20C higher than most other users, then the temperature inside your Mojos case will also be 20C higher - and this is probably why your Mojo is activating the thermal shutdown.

Mython is correct with the advice to stand your Mojo on its side.
The heat (Watts) that your mojo can dissipate to the surrounding air is proportional to the temperature difference, and the surface area.
If the Mojo is placed on its back, the surface area is approx (6*8) + (2*2*8) + (2*2*6) = 104 cm²
If the Mojo is placed on its side, the surface area is approx (2*6*8) + (2*8) + (2*2*6) = 136 cm², an increase of approx 30%, so the Mojo can dissipate 30% more heat.

Every time that I see someone complain about their Mojo shutting down on them, I glance to see where they are located, and for all the instances that I can remember, they are living in one of the hotter regions of the world (Dubai and Singapore, spring to mind). Possibly Chord should update their user manual, to advise users in those regions to stand their Mojo on its side.

I did make some risers before but they simply did not raise it enough.Turning the Mojo on it's side is a MUCH more elegant and effective solution. A 30% gain in heat dissipation by putting the Mojo on it's side should be more than enough and is a BIG improvement is heat dissipation. Thank you for making the calculations on this.  No problems yet. I think my Mojo looks better on it's side anyway. It can get hot in my listening room towards the evening and nighttime when all the heat rises. I do not keep my Mojo close to my tube stuff. It is amazing how  much heat 4 6V6 tubes and a rectifier can put out, if run a few hours in my room. I also often keep my door closed to not torment my wife any more than I already do. My headphone tube stuff gets hot but is not nearly as bad as the power tubes on my amps. I will continue to cook in my audio bliss and so far the Mojo seems to be happy.

Jul 20, 2016 at 5:24 AM Post #285 of 1,076

I did make some risers before but they simply did not raise it enough.Turning the Mojo on it's side is a MUCH more elegant and effective solution. A 30% gain in heat dissipation by putting the Mojo on it's side should be more than enough and is a BIG improvement is heat dissipation. Thank you for making the calculations on this.  No problems yet. I think my Mojo looks better on it's side anyway. It can get hot in my listening room towards the evening and nighttime when all the heat rises. I do not keep my Mojo close to my tube stuff. It is amazing how  much heat 4 6V6 tubes and a rectifier can put out, if run a few hours in my room. I also often keep my door closed to not torment my wife any more than I already do. My headphone tube stuff gets hot but is not nearly as bad as the power tubes on my amps. I will continue to cook in my audio bliss and so far the Mojo seems to be happy.

I added some risers to my ISP modem box, and usually it works fine, but this last week the temperatures have started to hit 35C, and the modem has started to lose my internet connection once or twice per hour. First i hear the click of the internal relay, then a couple of seconds later one of the leds on the front panel starts flashing red. It is very frustrating, so I shall explore standing the modem on its side today.
normal_smile .gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back