Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Mar 12, 2017 at 5:17 AM Post #31,052 of 42,765
above 15 pounds yes. 20% vat plus duty

Mar 12, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #31,054 of 42,765
Damn you @KookaBurrra! I love the look of your setup and now I'm quite curious of using Toslink on the Mojo. So, started looking at a DAP (as sometimes I don't like my phone tossing in notifications while I'm trying to listen to music). Now I'm looking at the Fiio X5 3rd Gen and AK70 as possible candidates. Though, doing so makes me wonder why I would keep the Mojo around then.

Mar 12, 2017 at 2:38 PM Post #31,056 of 42,765
While playing back and connected to power.

I was getting the same thing with my original unit. I believe my second unit is quieter with the coil whine, but it is definitely still there. I don't use it plugged in anymore. I use off of battery, if I were to leave it plugged in, no matter how low the coil whine is, I find that whine unacceptable in a $550 unit meant for "audio". 

Mar 12, 2017 at 2:42 PM Post #31,057 of 42,765
  I was getting the same thing with my original unit. I believe my second unit is quieter with the coil whine, but it is definitely still there. I don't use it plugged in anymore. I use off of battery, if I were to leave it plugged in, no matter how low the coil whine is, I find that whine unacceptable in a $550 unit meant for "audio". 

Always remember that the original prime use case for the Mojo was 'mobile' attached to a phone, and not being charged at the same time.
Use the device as originally intended, and you will get no coil whine. 

Desktop use is a bonus.

Mar 12, 2017 at 2:51 PM Post #31,058 of 42,765

Always remember that the original prime use case for the Mojo was 'mobile' attached to a phone, and not being charged at the same time.
Use the device as originally intended, and you will get no coil whine. 

Desktop use is a bonus.

Agreed, but they offered it as a "use case" scenario. I utilized my Oppo HA-2 in this fashion for a week or so... no whine from that. Like I said, it is sad that this is the case, and we all just "accept" it. Then again, I've decided to "accept" it as well, since I do like the sound from the Mojo. O'well.

Mar 12, 2017 at 9:29 PM Post #31,060 of 42,765
Hi all, just a few hours back I purchased my first ever DAC or Amp. and I went with the mojo after much reading and watching video reviews. I am not too much in to music so I am looking for a "one and done" strategy, so really hoping i made the right choice. I currently own Philips SHP9500, AKG k7xx(still new in the box as I was Waiting for a DAC/Amp combo) and LZ A4 which will arrive later this month I hope.

So for now, what would you guys recommend as far as connecting to PC? USB or Optical? my mobo has no coaxial out so that's not an option at the moment.    

Mar 12, 2017 at 9:52 PM Post #31,062 of 42,765
Mar 12, 2017 at 10:09 PM Post #31,064 of 42,765

Sorry, but the K712 are sort of easy to drive. Not the easiest but certainly not really dificult. You may be mistaking the sound signature of the headphone (I haven't heard them) for requiring more power. Often people mistake synergy for power requirementLook at the specs from AKG's website:

http://www.akg.com/pro/p/k712pro

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATION

General
Headphone typeopen
Max. Input Power200 mW
Audio frequency bandwidth10 to 39800 Hz
Sensitivity headphones105 dB SPL/V
Rated Impedance62 Ohms
Earpads 
Detachable cableyes
Cable Length3 m
Earpads replaceableyes

Mar 13, 2017 at 1:52 AM Post #31,065 of 42,765
  Sorry, but the K712 are sort of easy to drive. Not the easiest but certainly not really dificult. You may be mistaking the sound signature of the headphone (I haven't heard them) for requiring more power. Often people mistake synergy for power requirementLook at the specs from AKG's website:

Yeah, even my Koss KTXPRO1 is harder to drive. The Mojo has no trouble at all driving my HE500 (89 dB/mW @ 38 ohms) either. I'd bet it could even make the HE6 and Abyss pretty loud, though at that point I'd want a more powerful amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back