Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Feb 6, 2017 at 11:04 AM Post #30,106 of 42,765
ok..Fiio L19 works with my iPhone 5 but not my iPhone 6 ....damn!

update....it worked just now with the iPhone 6...now it doesn't work again

update...managed to get the Mojo to lock on again...what is going on?

Feb 6, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #30,107 of 42,765
hello,

my reading tells me that as far as sub $500 setups go,
the airmotiv 5s and adam f5 are going to be the 'best' choices to pair with the mojo.

is this a fair reading of what's out there? or have i missed some considerable alternatives?

Feb 6, 2017 at 1:51 PM Post #30,108 of 42,765
  hello,

my reading tells me that as far as sub $500 setups go,
the airmotiv 5s and adam f5 are going to be the 'best' choices to pair with the mojo.

is this a fair reading of what's out there? or have i missed some considerable alternatives?

I fully agree with the Adam F5s

Feb 6, 2017 at 2:20 PM Post #30,109 of 42,765
ok..Fiio L19 works with my iPhone 5 but not my iPhone 6 ....damn!

update....it worked just now with the iPhone 6...now it doesn't work again

update...managed to get the Mojo to lock on again...what is going on?

Does it stay stable with the 5? Are they both on the same IOS version?

Could be later IOS broke compatability ?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Feb 6, 2017 at 2:29 PM Post #30,111 of 42,765

I would convert DSD 128 files to PCM files, either 88 or 176 kHz – otherwise your X3 II would have to do the conversion to PCM (88 kHz) anyway. foobar2000 can do it.

Thanks for this.

Will the Fiio do the conversion even plugged into the Mojo?

Feb 6, 2017 at 2:30 PM Post #30,112 of 42,765
  Can anyone satisfy my curiosity ?

I have a Mojo & Dragonfly Red. They are both USB devices (obviously Mojo as other connections) so why would the Mojo be so affected by wireless interference from 3G/4G/Wifi when close coupled to a phone while the DFR has none at all?

I have managed to reduce Mojo RF interference greatly using ferrite ring on USB cable and a sheet of soft iron between Mojo & Phone but is this just down to a design flaw/weakness in the Mojo or due to it using different components that are affected by RF while the DFR is not ?

Does anyone who has used the Hugo know if it also suffers from RF like the Mojo? I'm considering a Hugo 2.

good question

Feb 6, 2017 at 2:36 PM Post #30,113 of 42,765
Oppo PM-3 and Mojo is simply a fantastic combination....am really surprised at what these mid-level closed cans can do!

Mojo alone with the HD-800 is good but not great...the HD-800 really deserves top notch amplification and sounds sublime with my Trafomatic Experience Head One amp and Mojo as DAC..

Feb 6, 2017 at 3:27 PM Post #30,114 of 42,765

I would convert DSD 128 files to PCM files, either 88 or 176 kHz – otherwise your X3 II would have to do the conversion to PCM (88 kHz) anyway. foobar2000 can do it.

Thanks for this.

Will the Fiio do the conversion even plugged into the Mojo?

It will send the DSD data as DoP throught the S/PDIF output, so no, there will be no actual conversion, as it seems. However, as I see it, with the conversion you have to do beforehand (DSD 128 to DSD 64) you'll lose more relevant data than with a conversion from DSD 128 to PCM 176.4 kHz, maybe even 88.2 kHz (24 or 16 bit).

Feb 6, 2017 at 3:36 PM Post #30,115 of 42,765
I also have the Utopia (same specs as your Elear) and listen around the same level as the ETHER Flow, which is double red, sometimes red/yellow depending on the dynamic level of the track. You listen in the blue range with the Elear's? Wow. That's loud dude.

I always listen to all my headphones at around 75-80dB average, with some peaks around 95dB, which is more than satisfying enough for me. I had the Mojo accidentally on the line-out level and was worried I blew out the ETHER Flow drivers and my ear drums (second time in a year I did that!). I honestly don't know how some people can listen so loud.

Of course anyone can listen to music how loud they want to, but not for me. I also always listen in a quiet environment so I don't need to fight for my music's attention. YMMV.

I just tested things out some more. Turning the volume down to double red sounds like listening to a concert from outside the building. (This is the lowest volume setting before the left light alternates colors to go down to zero, after all.)

I don't see the point in buying anything better than Apple earbuds if you only listen at such whisper-soft levels.

With the Focal Elear (104 dB/mW @ 80 ohms), light blue or turquoise is my average level with the exception of louder recordings. This is usually still softer than real life, and some recordings and instruments aren't as loud as live sound even on purple.

With the Koss KTXPRO1 (103 dB/mw @ 60 ohms), I tend to set the volume lower, perhaps by a color or two on average.

Orange is the lowest I ever go with both headphones. And I never make it nearly as loud as, for example, a metal concert or the peaks of a live orchestra.

Also bear in mind that some recordings have quite a bit lower volume than most do.

And no, I do not have hearing loss. This is about matching the SPL to what the instruments actually are, or at least getting loud enough to make the music come to life. Like I've said before, I've been a musician practically my entire life and pride myself upon my ability to hear music accurately.

Feb 6, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #30,116 of 42,765
  Oppo PM-3 and Mojo is simply a fantastic combination....am really surprised at what these mid-level closed cans can do!

Mojo alone with the HD-800 is good but not great...the HD-800 really deserves top notch amplification and sounds sublime with my Trafomatic Experience Head One amp and Mojo as DAC..

«Top notch amplification» can't match the Mojo's direct output, only add its own sonic signature to it (note that there's no amp to be bypassed), which means it makes it less accurate – a feature the notoriously treble-friendly (6-kHz peak) HD 800 may benefit from in many cases. If you want to get the maximum out of the Mojo/HD 800 pairing, better use equalizing for compensating the HD 800's tonal flaws instead of arbitrary synergetic effects caused by euphonic harmonic distortion – which moreover imply reduced transparency. Electrically speaking, the Mojo can drive the very efficient HD 800 with ease, so there's no need for double amplification.

Feb 6, 2017 at 3:48 PM Post #30,118 of 42,765

It will send the DSD data as DoP throught the S/PDIF output, so no, there will be no actual conversion, as it seems. However, as I see it, with the conversion you have to do beforehand (DSD 128 to DSD 64) you'll lose more relevant data than with a conversion from DSD 128 to PCM 176.4 kHz, maybe even 88.2 kHz (24 or 16 bit).

Very helpful, thanks. Will check out how to do this via Foobar now. 

Feb 6, 2017 at 4:58 PM Post #30,120 of 42,765

do you use any ole cable to connect the mojo to the f5s?
or can you provide a link to something specific?

i am using powered near field monitors, too:

to use the chord (or dragonfly) in preamp/dac mode first
get a 3.5 to dual rca adapter to run from the mojo 
(also called a 1/8'')
...and run some quality cables

https://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/adapters/index.htm
see very bottom under 'adapters' ...audioquest makes one, too:

i'm using blue jeans LC...company has a good reputation without the voodoo $$$.
but there are TONS of cables out there....careful as you can quickly go down a 'twilight zone' $$$ wormhole.

i'm using the LC1 by bluejean cables.
7ft w shipping about $US70 or so.
https://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/audio/index.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back