Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Feb 6, 2017 at 5:23 AM Post #30,091 of 42,765
Can anyone satisfy my curiosity ?

I have a Mojo & Dragonfly Red. They are both USB devices (obviously Mojo as other connections) so why would the Mojo be so affected by wireless interference from 3G/4G/Wifi when close coupled to a phone while the DFR has none at all?

I have managed to reduce Mojo RF interference greatly using ferrite ring on USB cable and a sheet of soft iron between Mojo & Phone but is this just down to a design flaw/weakness in the Mojo or due to it using different components that are affected by RF while the DFR is not ?

Does anyone who has used the Hugo know if it also suffers from RF like the Mojo? I'm considering a Hugo 2.

Feb 6, 2017 at 5:33 AM Post #30,092 of 42,765
my personal gauge is the vocals, sound louder than real life? Then too loud!

My safe limit for any of my head or earphones is double green.

I only use SE846's (don't even have any headphones) and I can hardly bare double Red, often having it set to the two dull Pink colours !!!

On my laptop I'm usually at 8-12 out of 100 !

If I was looking to try some headphones (only ever listened to some HD800's in a HiFi store and preferred my Shure's) what would sound better than the SE846's ? Anything at the £500 level ?

Feb 6, 2017 at 8:08 AM Post #30,093 of 42,765
I only use SE846's (don't even have any headphones) and I can hardly bare double Red, often having it set to the two dull Pink colours !!!

On my laptop I'm usually at 8-12 out of 100 !

If I was looking to try some headphones (only ever listened to some HD800's in a HiFi store and preferred my Shure's) what would sound better than the SE846's ? Anything at the £500 level ?

The HD600 sound amazing

Feb 6, 2017 at 8:11 AM Post #30,094 of 42,765

Coax cable for Fiio X3ii to Mojo has finally arrived from Hong Kong (this one: http://penonaudio.com/Coaxial-Decoding-cable-for-Chord-Mojo-with-DAP) but when I try to play DSD 128 files won't play, the Fiio states that file is not supported. It plays it fine direct to the headphones but not via the coax. Have I got something wrong, here? Is the cable the problem? Thanks for any help!
Chris

OK, I've answered my own question. See here: http://fiio.me/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=40503 
Does anyone know a workaround? Or is it easy enough to convert my 128 DSDs to 64?
Thanks for any help! 

I would convert DSD 128 files to PCM files, either 88 or 176 kHz – otherwise your X3 II would have to do the conversion to PCM (88 kHz) anyway. foobar2000 can do it.

Feb 6, 2017 at 8:15 AM Post #30,095 of 42,765
If the Mojo is set to line level output by simultaneous pressing of the two volume buttons (to be used as an external DAC in a hifi setup), does the volume control work?

It looks like it's a bit of hit and miss to get the 3V line level by pressing the 2 volume buttons while powering on the device. And what is the right color to confirm that the line level out is ok? It is supposed to be blue, right? But there is light blue and dark blue, so which one is it?

Feb 6, 2017 at 10:06 AM Post #30,097 of 42,765
  I cant go past double green on 150ohm AKGs

that is quite loud lol blues at 32ohms.

Soon I will take note of volume levels I use on the Mojo with various headphones and music and report here in more detail.

I have extremely sensitive hearing that can pick up the subtlest nuances, so I definitely don't have much hearing loss at all. It's just that I'm the type of audiophile who wants the experience to be as close to real life as possible, including volume.

However, as a musician, I am used to being next to the other performers...and that's a lot louder than being out in the audience. I don't make it quite as loud as being, say, in front of a trumpet section, 'cause that's too much even for me.

Also, sensitivity is more important than impedance. The Elear and Utopia are 104 dB/mW @ 80 ohms.

my personal gauge is the vocals, sound louder than real life? Then too loud!

My safe limit for any of my head or earphones is double green.

I didn't even notice you had a Mojo! (It's not listed on your profile or sig.)

If the Mojo is set to line level output by simultaneous pressing of the two volume buttons (to be used as an external DAC in a hifi setup), does the volume control work?

It looks like it's a bit of hit and miss to get the 3V line level by pressing the 2 volume buttons while powering on the device. And what is the right color to confirm that the line level out is ok? It is supposed to be blue, right? But there is light blue and dark blue, so which one is it?

Yes, you can set the volume on the Mojo to whatever you like.

Light blue.

Feb 6, 2017 at 10:23 AM Post #30,098 of 42,765
* PSA - because I care *

I just want to pipe up and say that although it's nice to experience real life performance levels (pretty darned loud) once in a while, I would caution anyone that repeated long term exposure to these levels will damage your hearing. I won't link all the numerous articles and studies done on this but just say that if often listening for more than 15min at over 100dB you are taking a very strong risk at long term hearing loss. The scary thing is that the listener does not notice it, it creeps up slowly over time, and they continue to turn up the volume to reach their perceived preference while at the same time causing more damage. I'm NOT singling anyone out here, I see this all over Head Fi.

Ok, one link for heck of it. Noise Induced Hearing Loss (NIHL)

I leave it to you, the listener, to make your own choices but please be informed of the risks. Apologies for being 'that guy' and that's all I'll say on the matter, not wanting to de-rail the thread.
smily_headphones1.gif

Is there a "standardized" color-to-dB equivalency table like there is for frequencies (printed on the Mojo box)?  I understand that different headphones sensitivities and different recording levels will affect the perceived volume, but at least it could provide some basic guidance -- say I am targeting 85dB, what color (range) might that be?

Feb 6, 2017 at 10:48 AM Post #30,099 of 42,765
I just received the Mojo but it does not work with my iPhone 6 and the Fiio L19 lightning cable...am I doing something wrong?

Feb 6, 2017 at 10:52 AM Post #30,100 of 42,765
Please forgive. I know we are not supposed to chat about different headphones. However I wondered just out of curiosity if anyone tried the Shure KSE1500, (comfortably priced at £2500, haha.) Meaning along with the Mojo of course.

Then there is some debate about the Sennheiser£200-£400 ear-phones. However in that price range the new AKG N40 has taken that crown from Sennheiser, with What Hi-Fi.

Lastly though I am massively curious about the Grado SR325e now, with the Mojo. I must try it out sometime, since I have the SR225e. I like the pairing of the Mojo + SR225e, but ..and there is a but. I definitely feel there is much more possible.... It needs to have a wetter faster sound, with more detail, better tone, and more tonal balance.

The 225e are amazing in their own right though. They still surprise me every time I use them.

Somehow though I don't think the SR325e is the solution for me. It's left me incredibly curious though. (I think the 325e would be a two point upgrade. One because of the headphone upgrade. Secondly because I have to use a headphone cable adaptor for my SR225e. They have a 6mm jack due to being SR225i with e-drivers. Whereas I would plug straight to Mojo with SR325e.)

I'll have to take Mojo along somewhere and have a listen.

Feb 6, 2017 at 10:54 AM Post #30,101 of 42,765
  I just received the Mojo but it does not work with my iPhone 6 and the Fiio L19 lightning cable...am I doing something wrong?

Do you get a message on the iPhone?  I bought a supposedly genuine Fiio L19 cable off ebay and it didn't work with a 6 but for some strange reason did with a 5S.

Feb 6, 2017 at 10:58 AM Post #30,103 of 42,765
Feb 6, 2017 at 10:58 AM Post #30,104 of 42,765
not an apple user here, but what I remember reading many times is that beta IOS images caused trouble with cables, many times...so if you are on beta try switching to an official IOS release.

Hope this helps.
Cheers

Feb 6, 2017 at 11:02 AM Post #30,105 of 42,765
Can anyone recommend a short USB micro to USB micro cable to connect the Mojo to AK300  I am using a diy one presently but its far too long.  Moon Audio seem to do a Tousling cable in the size I am looking for but not a USB one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back