Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Feb 6, 2017 at 6:29 PM Post #30,121 of 42,765
I have to LOL at this for my own annoyance ;0
iOS 10.3 Beta 1 has broken the CCK to Mojo and so I cannot listen to music via Mojo now. OOPS! 
Yes that is correct, the genuine CCK does not work. Well thats a new one on me!
ahhh ***. Back to listening to my iPhone direct then.

Is Beta 2 any better for you (my iPhone 5 works okay) or are you still searching for the Holy Grail?

Feb 6, 2017 at 6:52 PM Post #30,122 of 42,765
I just tested things out some more. Turning the volume down to double red sounds like listening to a concert from outside the building. (This is the lowest volume setting before the left light alternates colors to go down to zero, after all.)

I don't see the point in buying anything better than Apple earbuds if you only listen at such whisper-soft levels.

With the Focal Elear (104 dB/mW @ 80 ohms), light blue or turquoise is my average level with the exception of louder recordings. This is usually still softer than real life, and some recordings and instruments aren't as loud as live sound even on purple.

With the Koss KTXPRO1 (103 dB/mw @ 60 ohms), I tend to set the volume lower, perhaps by a color or two on average.

Orange is the lowest I ever go with both headphones. And I never make it nearly as loud as, for example, a metal concert or the peaks of a live orchestra.

Also bear in mind that some recordings have quite a bit lower volume than most do.

And no, I do not have hearing loss. This is about matching the SPL to what the instruments actually are, or at least getting loud enough to make the music come to life. Like I've said before, I've been a musician practically my entire life and pride myself upon my ability to hear music accurately.

I said my piece, but you seem to want to express that high volume is ok. I just tested the Utopia (exact same sensitivity and impedance as the Elear) at double green/turquoise and it measured rough ballpark averages around 100dB and peaks above 105dB on well recorded tracks, ie., not brickwalled modern pop music. Some Decca classical was 93-103dB depending on the piece at double green/turquoise.

I really don't want to be a prat about this, but this is a public forum and the levels you listen at seem to be high (measuring is the only way to be sure) so I'm publicly throwing a caution out there, for the public, so they are aware of the risks. My previous post was simply as a general caution that listening repeatedly over 100dB for more than 15min will run a high risk of damaging hearing in general. You are posting that it's fine, for you, and I'm saying to the general public that caution should be observed. At the volume settings you listed, they would be pumping over 100dB easily through the Elear headphones with most tracks and I simply would not endorse anyone listen that loudly. YMMV.

Also, FYI, many musicians (even many famous ones) have hearing loss. It's an occupational hazard and well known. Google 'musician hearing loss'. I'm not saying you do as the only way to really know is to go to an audiologist, but again, this is a public forum and hence my public caution.

- Example: Reading the Elear thread some members are listening so loud they are bottoming out the driver (overdriving the speaker) and they think it's normal volume. This is why I'm bringing it up. -

Edit: To be clear, I'm not attacking anyone's preferences here. Just throwing out caution to everyone.

Feb 6, 2017 at 6:59 PM Post #30,123 of 42,765
Please take note of the 'action' levels around 85 dB. I worked in a production factory with mandatory hearing protection at that level and you are listening at 100 dB and think you'll be ok? 

Feb 6, 2017 at 7:09 PM Post #30,124 of 42,765
I said my piece, but you seem to want to express that high volume is ok. I just tested the Utopia (exact same sensitivity and impedance as the Elear) at double green/turquoise and it measured rough ballpark averages around 100dB and peaks above 105dB on well recorded tracks, ie., not brickwalled modern pop music. Some Decca classical was 93-103dB depending on the piece at double green/turquoise.

I really don't want to be a prat about this, but this is a public forum and the levels you listen at seem to be high (measuring is the only way to be sure) so I'm publicly throwing a caution out there, for the public, so they are aware of the risks. My previous post was simply as a general caution that listening repeatedly over 100dB for more than 15min will run a high risk of damaging hearing in general. You are posting that it's fine, for you, and I'm saying to the general public that caution should be observed. At the volume settings you listed, they would be pumping over 100dB easily through the Elear headphones with most tracks and I simply would not endorse anyone listen that loudly. YMMV.

Also, FYI, many musicians (even many famous ones) have hearing loss. It's an occupational hazard and well known. Google 'musician hearing loss'. I'm not saying you do as the only way to really know is to go to an audiologist, but again, this is a public forum and hence my public caution.

- Example: Reading the Elear thread some members are listening so loud they are bottoming out the driver (overdriving the speaker) and they think it's normal volume. This is why I'm bringing it up. -

Edit: To be clear, I'm not attacking anyone's preferences here. Just throwing out caution to everyone.

Oh, yeah, I totally agree with you. Live sound is not safe to listen to for extended periods and can go far above 100 dB.

Each person is ultimately going to use the volume level they're comfortable with, so I didn't mean to sound like I was recommending anything to anyone; just sharing my experiences.

I only listen to music for a few hours per day, and it's never as loud as things I mentioned, like a metal concert (which is painfully loud to me) and so on. I just like it to be loud enough for it to seem more like real instruments rather than background music.

I didn't mean I have zero hearing loss. Everyone has at least a little. I just meant that it's not significant enough to be a factor.

Feb 6, 2017 at 7:59 PM Post #30,125 of 42,765

Many people don't care about hearing loss until it is too late. I always listen between 65 to 75. What is interesting to me is that every time I let my friends of family members listen to my headphones, they imcrese the volume so much that I don't only fear for their hearing loss, but also for my headphone drivers.

Feb 6, 2017 at 11:19 PM Post #30,127 of 42,765
Really liking the Miter Mojo/iPhone 7 case.

02a00a805247c3ae558139bd9b45c358.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feb 7, 2017 at 10:16 AM Post #30,129 of 42,765
Really liking the Miter Mojo/iPhone 7 case.

02a00a805247c3ae558139bd9b45c358.jpg

Nice! Would you share more pictures?

This is the only other one I took last night. I'll snap a few more this evening with my DSLR so you can see what it looks like connected to the iPhone. It's still a little bulky, which is why I'm looking forward to Poly, but it definitely looks sleek, IMO.

b1c4deb8403476b4e3e476243c415616.jpg

Feb 7, 2017 at 10:30 AM Post #30,130 of 42,765
This is the only other one I took last night. I'll snap a few more this evening with my DSLR so you can see what it looks like connected to the iPhone. It's still a little bulky, which is why I'm looking forward to Poly, but it definitely looks sleek, IMO.

b1c4deb8403476b4e3e476243c415616.jpg

Looks very similar to the Chord Mojo case that I have. Kinda hard to see in this pics.

Feb 7, 2017 at 1:15 PM Post #30,132 of 42,765
I have my cck cable. Suggestions on a good usb cable for my mojo and iPhone? Under 50 bucks thanks.

get the extender kit... trust me ...way worth it over an additional cable
OR get a specialized cable from moon audio or penon that mimics both a cck and the additional cable.
price is both the same: about US$100

connection often breaks with 2 cables...been there done that

Feb 7, 2017 at 1:27 PM Post #30,133 of 42,765
  Please take note of the 'action' levels around 85 dB. I worked in a production factory with mandatory hearing protection at that level and you are listening at 100 dB and think you'll be ok? 

agree: i try to keep things in the low 70s range, to play it safe.

you can easily download a sound pressure app...many free for both ios and android.
i think it was xrelicx who suggested this to me (or some other helpful person)
: put your device right up close to your iems/cans at the volume
being played and  you'll get a pretty accurate reading.

Feb 7, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #30,134 of 42,765
  you can easily download a sound pressure app...many free for both ios and android.
i think it was xrelicx who suggested this to me (or some other helpful person)
: put your device right up close to your iems/cans at the volume
being played and  you'll get a pretty accurate reading.

I'd like to measure the SPL, but don't use smartphones. I may end up just buying an SPL meter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back