Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Nov 29, 2016 at 11:30 AM Post #26,671 of 42,765
I popped back into this thread after a few months absence, here awe are approaching 2000 pages and the chord guys are STILL responding to people's basic questions.  Unbelievable customer support.  These aren't some minimum wage guys paid to respond to our posts, the creators of the Mojo are here giving us their time.  Cool.

Nov 29, 2016 at 11:33 AM Post #26,672 of 42,765
I popped back into this thread after a few months absence, here awe are approaching 2000 pages and the chord guys are STILL responding to people's basic questions.  Unbelievable customer support.  These aren't some minimum wage guys paid to respond to our posts, the creators of the Mojo are here giving us their time.  Cool.
maybe they are at work not working but instead they are on various forums trying to stay awake and trying to look like they are working.

Nov 29, 2016 at 11:56 AM Post #26,673 of 42,765
Only if you think something needs to be solved.
wink.gif

Yes the Mojo works fine with EQ.

Mein friend, smoothness needs to be ironed out in my headphones with every source! 

As long as there is no roll off, ie800 so far did not need any EQ,but  besides ie800 every other headphone and IEM needed heavy EQ to fit my bill. Even ie800 needs some treble sometimes, color me a bright person 
biggrin.gif

Nov 29, 2016 at 12:05 PM Post #26,674 of 42,765

Most of my files are in Flac format. From this thread I've gathered that the best format is RBCD redbook CD. 16bit/44.1KHz.
Does it make a difference if the files were in .wav or .flac ? I've gone through most of post#3, but I might have missed that info...

Thanks.

Quote:
  I do not recall reading that the Mojo is best with Redbook files. Any Redbook quality or above would be fine.

I suspect the reason for that conclusion is simply that many people (myself included) have remarked upon how good Redbook sounds when played through one of Rob's DACs, but, as you have pointed out, that is not the same thing as saying that Rob's DACs are at their best with Redbook.

Quote:

Flac is a file conversion that reduces the file size of a wav file without losing quality (unlike mp3), so you are good to go with flac.

.wav and .flac are both lossless so there's no quality loss in either one. FLAC is better for tagging

@ trachery: there are probably hundreds of discussions on Head-fi, talking about the differences between various file-formats.

I agree with Barndoor and Delayeed, that there is no need to use .wav files on your X7, with or without Mojo.

.Flac will serve you just as well, with almost zero difference in SQ (and possibly fractionally better SQ, under some circumstances), whilst consuming less memory space.

www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-dac-amp-faq-in-3rd-post/16500#post_12525696

Nov 29, 2016 at 12:22 PM Post #26,675 of 42,765
So for those of you with a Sony Walkman and a Mojo, do you turn all of the Walkmans sound enhancements off? if not what do you enable or adjust?

Nov 29, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #26,676 of 42,765
  So for those of you with a Sony Walkman and a Mojo, do you turn all of the Walkmans sound enhancements off? if not what do you enable or adjust?

I suspect none of the enhancements will work whilst using the digital-out, but I can't recall 100% definitely.

Nov 29, 2016 at 12:31 PM Post #26,677 of 42,765

I couldn't agree with you more. Having worked in the high end audio industry for 26 years, this attention bestowed on the owners of Chord products is rare.

Nov 29, 2016 at 1:03 PM Post #26,678 of 42,765
  .wav and .flac are both lossless so there's no quality loss in either one. FLAC is better for tagging

I do not recall reading that the Mojo is best with Redbook files. Any Redbook quality or above would be fine.

Flac is a file conversion that reduces the file size of a wav file without losing quality (unlike mp3), so you are good to go with flac.

@ trachery: there are probably hundreds of discussions on Head-fi, talking about the differences between various file-formats.

I agree with Barndoor and Delayeed, that there is no need to use .wav files on your X7, with or without Mojo.

.Flac will serve you just as well, with almost zero difference in SQ (and possibly fractionally better SQ, under some circumstances), whilst consuming less memory space.

www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-dac-amp-faq-in-3rd-post/16500#post_12525696

Thank you all. Yes I do prefer flac because of the tagging capabilities.
Cheers.

Nov 29, 2016 at 1:23 PM Post #26,679 of 42,765

I suspect none of the enhancements will work whilst using the digital-out, but I can't recall 100% definitely.

Yeah @navydragon showed us a while ago that all settings are not accessible when a Mojo is connected to USB out.

It appears to be output in bit-perfect. However it may be a default setting. Either way, no volume or EQ settings are available when Mojo connected.

Nov 29, 2016 at 2:01 PM Post #26,680 of 42,765
  I'm getting my Mojo next month and have ordered the optical cable to hook up to my X7 Fiio.

You need a Coaxial Cable to connect the Fiio X7 with the Mojo. Fiio X7 does NOT have Optical Out. Check out post #3 for coaxial cable options for Fiio X3ii and X5ii. You need the same cable for X7.

Nov 29, 2016 at 2:39 PM Post #26,681 of 42,765
I never said it was bad. That being said.....why does the hugo sound more open and transparent with more highs if the mojo treble is measured the same? Because the lower noise modulation floor it sounds smoother? there is treble roll off. The whole dac chip, is a bit midcentric without much air at the top and a bit of emphasis on midbass. Sure if this was tuned for iems, sure, i guess the more bassier sound is good because there is so much noise out. Midbass emphasis doesn't allow for bass extension to go as far. Sure it might measure that way, but doesn't sound that way. Even @Duncan
 said that the qp1r has more extension on the top and bottom(albeit not controlled), so yes the mojo does not extend as far. Detail retrieval is great. There is also weird imaging which I found and I was glad that another member @Whitigir
 heard it and pointed out. Instead of a sphere its more of an X with some weird soundscaping. Also with added depth, comes narrow soundstage and less height.

If Mojo was such a transparent amp/dac with such driveability, there doesn't need to be any amps. This is untrue. I followed this forum and tried to drive my he-560 and it sounded far worse from the mojo than the ifi micro idsd, only because of lack of power. I like the DAC section of the mojo better. The mojo while being a marvel in engineering has short comings. I would never dissuade anyone from getting an amp for a HD800 or HE1K and tell them the mojo drives it well enough there will be no increase in sound quality. In a blind test I'm sure people would choose mojo with an amp with many of those headphones.

These are just characteristics of the dac, and if you like it, then you like it. If you don't, then you don't. Just because the masses like something, and award it doesn't mean its great. That reminds me of when my friend berated for not liking beyonce............ I think you know this. This forum is for honest opinions so that people who are looking for impressions can purchase. We aren't looking to fight and put down the mojo. Just try to give an honest opinions and impressions instead of hyperboles.

I read a lot of opinions and bought the QP1R.....people saying it is equal to or much better than the mojo. I find this for myself completely false and prefer the mojo by a mile. Everyone outside the ZX2 thread here said the mojo and qp1r is a step above the ZX2. I do not think so having heard all of them and think for iems, the ZX2(trrs) is better, with much better soundstaging, microdetail retreival(nuances), etc. The mojo does sound punchier and cleaner so it does sometimes make the music feel more alive. For headphones and my studio monitors....the mojo.

People's opinions can different from my own.....but i still respect them and it is their choice of what to think. If they want an amp, let them use the amp instead of being......the mojo has enough power...you just haven't had brain burn in to understand the sound....or you like distortion that is leading to a worse sound. Don't refuse to acknowledge someone else's opinion and keep regurgitating Rob Watt's words like the gospel. Everyone hears differently. If they didn't, CHORD would be the only dac maker and everyone would be left in the dust. Just be happy we have choices.

I've always said there's nothing wrong with adding an amp if it's to your liking. I've always said that everyone should go with their personal preference. Read my signature, I stand by it. Your assertion that the HE-560 sounded worse as a result of a lack of power is a false conclusion. The math says it's fine, your brain just doesn't like it. The ZX2 sounds so digital and fake to my ears I can't stand it, but I don't go in the ZX2 thread saying that Mojo is so much better. Again, preferences. Just because the Mojo is tuned smooth and the QP1R (your example) is tuned bright doesn't mean the Mojo isn't extended. Just like the HD800 is considered bright by some and natural by others. Just different presentations and preferences. I'm simply stating that comments like 'it isn't extended' are false, and it is. I've tried helping new users, and to keep much of the technical information straight as it's a confusing implementation for many. Apologies if it came across as beating over anyone's head.

Good luck, I'm out.

Edit: And just to know where I'm coming from, I put my money where my mouth is and own a TOTL 9W amp because guess what, I enjoy the colouration it adds to the DAVE from time to time. It doesn't make me blind to the technical fact that it's adding its' own sound to the mix.

Nov 29, 2016 at 5:10 PM Post #26,682 of 42,765
maybe they are at work not working but instead they are on various forums trying to stay awake and trying to look like they are working.
it's because we travel the world and are in hotel rooms half a world away from where we live and aren't sleepy. So wide awake :flushed:at 3:00 am the forums are a good form of entertainment and all your points, discussions and suggestions go into the mix for our next steps. It's more than useful, you guys are our guiding light along the rocky path to audio nirvana! Don't mess around with our batteries power supplies though. A lot of thought and knowledge has gone into them to give the best results and keep you all safe and batteries are potentially very nasty if one goes up in flames in your face. :sleeping:

Nov 29, 2016 at 5:20 PM Post #26,683 of 42,765
Hey there,

has anyone tried the Ifi IDefender3.0 with Mojo?
It provides galvanical isolation... or like 95% isolation and might be useful partner for Mojo.

Cheers

Nov 29, 2016 at 5:20 PM Post #26,684 of 42,765
it's because we travel the world and are in hotel rooms half a world away from where we live and aren't sleepy. So wide awake :flushed:at 3:00 am the forums are a good form of entertainment and all your points, discussions and suggestions go into the mix for our next steps. It's more than useful, you guys are our guiding light along the rocky path to audio nirvana! Don't mess around with our batteries power supplies though. A lot of thought and knowledge has gone into them to give the best results and keep you all safe and batteries are potentially very nasty if one goes up in flames in your face. :sleeping:

Travelling for work sounds glamorous, but it is not always as enjoyable as it sounds. 
regular_smile .gif

Nov 29, 2016 at 5:53 PM Post #26,685 of 42,765
Is anyone else using BubleUPnP app on their smartphone to play music from a NAS drive through a Mojo with a Chromecast Audio in between? I have a couple of questions about it -

First, I have a toslink cable running from the Chromecast Audio to mojo. However I can change volume with my phone, which I dont want to happen. How do I make sure the Mojo receives the original digital signal?

Secondly, how do i stop BubbleUPnP repeating albums in a never ending loop? I just want it to play the album or song i select one time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back