Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Nov 30, 2016 at 9:31 AM Post #26,701 of 42,765
[Mod Comment]

I've just had to delete almost 3 pages of posts which are off topic, or which add nothing to the thread.  There will be people who like the Mojo, people who prefer something else - and it is Ok to discuss this.  It is not OK to attack someone because of their opinion.  Debate the point - don't make it personal.

And to all of those who leap to one side or the other's defence - DON'T.  Please don't.

If there is something which you think breaks the forum rules - flag it, and a Moderator will get to it.  Don't play vigilante and add to the problem.

[rule]
John - I think ClieOS has made a valid comment.  If in your view it is incorrect - perhaps you could explain your reasons why it is incorrect.  It would seem an ideal opportunity for us all to benefit from your experience (from an engineering standpoint) on why some DAC/amps do sound different when they are measurably flat.  I know from a reviewers angle that better understanding of the why would help me a lot.  I haven't heard any of your products - but the topic intrigues me (if you have the time it would be appreciated).

Eg why do I perceive one DAC/amp as warm, and another as drier or brighter - when both have flat frequency response?

Thanks

Paul
Hi my original point was really about misinformation about the tonal qualities was being dripped into the thread in a rather deliberate way over a few weeks. Comments which were picked up and perpetrated. To my veiw point what was being said made no sense in engineering terms and so the original information was not being countered properly I'm naturally sorry if, as some sugested I've given offence. I'm pleased to say we Brits don't take offence very easily. So I guess we are more apt to annoy those perhaps with more sensitive natures.

Nov 30, 2016 at 11:53 AM Post #26,702 of 42,765
I don't know if this has already been asked before. But I hope someone can answer my query:

Am I double amping if I connect my Mojo to a desktop amplifier and I don't use line level out, i.e., I lower the volume from violet (line level) to blue?

I just bought an Audio Technica ATH-R70x and noticed that the highs are buried in the background if i use the Mojo's line level with the Lake People G109A (the latter's volume knob rests at 12 o'clock). In order to feed more power to the R70x, which are power-hungry cans (they are rated at 470 ohms), I decided to lower the Mojo's volume level by six to seven clicks until I see two blue balls; doing so allows me to crank up the volume knob of the G109A to 3 o'clock to reach the same loudness as with line level. In the second setting, the highs are much more prominent without sounding sibilant or fatiguing.

I don't notice any noise or artifacts that are usually associated with double amping.

If my understanding of how the Mojo is incorrect, please let me know.

Thanks a lot! :D

Nov 30, 2016 at 11:55 AM Post #26,703 of 42,765
  I don't know if this has already been asked before. But I hope someone can answer my query:

Am I double amping if I connect my Mojo to a desktop amplifier and I don't use line level out, i.e., I lower the volume from violet (line level) to blue?

No.

That's no problem at all.

Nov 30, 2016 at 12:04 PM Post #26,704 of 42,765

No.

That's no problem at all.

Thanks @Mython for the quick response!

Based on my very basic understanding of the Mojo's architecture, it doesn't have a dedicated amp section (unlike most portable DAC/amp units available). Hence, there's really no double amping happening since the Mojo's DAC section is also its "amp section". I hope I am making some sense here. Hahaha :)

Thanks again! :D

Nov 30, 2016 at 12:19 PM Post #26,705 of 42,765

Thanks @Mython for the quick response!

Based on my very basic understanding of the Mojo's architecture, it doesn't have a dedicated amp section (unlike most portable DAC/amp units available). Hence, there's really no double amping happening since the Mojo's DAC section is also its "amp section". I hope I am making some sense here. Hahaha :)

Thanks again! :D

There still are 6 transistors in the output stage but idk how much that affects things.

Nov 30, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #26,707 of 42,765
  At measurement level only, I would like to add the following:

Mojo is Flat, -0.1dB at 20kHz:
  1. True if no Load (no headphone connected)
  2. True if Load have more than ~100 Ohms
  3. Wrong for Loads under 100 Ohms: 8 Ohms/16 Ohms/32 Ohms

Mojo Outputs 0.5A as Huguo:
  1. True only at specific load and voltage

Before clipping max current per channel is:
  1.  around 280mA rms for loads under 8 Ohms
  2.  around 220mA rms at 8 Ohms
  3.  around 160mA rms at 22 Ohms
  4.  around 44mA rms at 100 Ohms
  5.  around 10mA rms at 500 Ohms

Otherwise as mentionned by some, Mojo has more than enough power (0.5W per channel in the 10 - 40 Ohms area)
In fact it has even more or same power than all portable amplifiers in the market.

Great post.

Of course it only makes sense to discuss Mojo measurements into extremely high impedance loads (i.e. unloaded)... otherwise you're no longer talking about the Mojo but Mojo AND some other equipment. 

Nov 30, 2016 at 1:54 PM Post #26,709 of 42,765
  Is anyone using USB Audio Player Pro + Android + Mojo here without issues?

I heard there are problems with music fading in/out

Torn up between the Mojo and Oppo HA-2...

Thousands of people around the world are successfully using USB Audio Player Pro + Android + Mojo without issues

Nov 30, 2016 at 3:16 PM Post #26,714 of 42,765
I connected my new Mojo to my main system to see how it sounds there, and the results are very good. I'm taking the output of the Mojo and connecting it to the fixed level inputs on my Luxman MQ88 amp which drives a pair of Raidho XT-1s.

I tried using the variable level inputs on the MQ88, but the sound is noticeably better letting the Mojo control volume level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back