Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Nov 28, 2016 at 10:50 PM Post #26,641 of 42,765

Due to poor planning... I am using my Audioquest Cinnamon cable to charge the Mojo!   Muh hah hah!    Greatly improved topped-off-ed-ness...

(But it is a beautifully made cable.  And I am using a nice Audioquest optical cable for the music!)

Nov 28, 2016 at 11:50 PM Post #26,643 of 42,765
Nov 28, 2016 at 11:59 PM Post #26,644 of 42,765
Hi everyone, I'm picking up my Mojo tomorrow! Had the pleasure to try a half broken demo unit nearly a year ago and fell in love. Also thinking about ordering moon audio cables for my mojo's. I'm new to the thread, so excuse me if this question has already been asked; what has everybody's experience been with aftermarket cable upgrades specifically pertaining to the mojo? 

Nov 29, 2016 at 12:58 AM Post #26,647 of 42,765
Depends on who's measuring it..... Rob's confident it's flat to 20kHz. Stereophile measures it flat. Golden Ears measures it flat.

With some headphones it's more noticeable than others HD600 it sounds pretty well extended but with the Ether C there is immediatly apparent low end and high end roll off when level matched to CA DAC Magic Plus which also measures perfectly flat... Once again measurements don't corrolate to hearing... Maybe it's because it can't deliver enough current to the planar drivers?

Nov 29, 2016 at 1:14 AM Post #26,648 of 42,765
With some headphones it's more noticeable than others HD600 it sounds pretty well extended but with the Ether C there is immediatly apparent low end and high end roll off when level matched to CA DAC Magic Plus which also measures perfectly flat... Once again measurements don't corrolate to hearing... Maybe it's because it can't deliver enough current to the planar drivers?

I'll just agree to disagree with you. With the LCD-2, ETHER C(1.1), ETHER Flow, Nighthawk, or Utopia I hear zero roll off compared to my DAVE, or compared when using those headphones with the Liquid Gold. The Mojo outputs 0.5A Current throughout the volume range, same as Hugo. It isn't lacking in current output. The Mojo is smooth, but that's down to the lack of noise floor modulation according to Rob's info that he's posted.

When I had the Oppo HA-1 I vastly preferred direct from the Mojo over the HA-1's headphone out (SE or balanced). The HA-1 had exaggerated / digital / grainy treble (to me) that I just didn't like. When using the DAC-19 to the Liquid Carbon (both now sold), again, I preferred the Mojo and didn't find it lacking any extension. All the detail is there, no question, just smooth and enjoyable.

By all means, if you prefer the CA DAC Magic Plus's tuning then I'm glad for you. I just strongly disagree that the Mojo is not well extended based on my experience. Also, compared to the DACMagic Plus the Mojo measures far better vs the ancient dual Wolfson WM8740 chip implementation in the DACMagic Plus.

Nov 29, 2016 at 1:28 AM Post #26,649 of 42,765
I'll just agree to disagree with you. With the LCD-2, ETHER C(1.1), ETHER Flow, Nighthawk, or Utopia I hear zero roll off compared to my DAVE, or compared when using those headphones with the Liquid Gold. The Mojo outputs 0.5A Current throughout the volume range, same as Hugo. It isn't lacking in current output. The Mojo is smooth, but that's down to the lack of noise floor modulation according to Rob's info that he's posted.

When I had the Oppo HA-1 I vastly preferred direct from the Mojo over the HA-1's headphone out (SE or balanced). The HA-1 had exaggerated / digital / grainy treble (to me) that I just didn't like. When using the DAC-19 to the Liquid Carbon (both now sold), again, I preferred the Mojo and didn't find it lacking any extension. All the detail is there, no question, just smooth and enjoyable.

By all means, if you prefer the CA DAC Magic Plus's tuning then I'm glad for you. I just strongly disagree that the Mojo is not well extended based on my experience. Also, compared to the DACMagic Plus the Mojo measures far better vs the ancient dual Wolfson WM8740 chip implementation in the DACMagic Plus.

Just to clarify I WAY prefer Mojo over the DAC Magic Plus but it doesn't have the sub bass and air to me. (also not the harshness which is why I sold the DAC Magic Plus) Very interesting that it sounds different for us. As you said: agree to disagree 
redface.gif

Nov 29, 2016 at 3:22 AM Post #26,650 of 42,765
At measurement level only, I would like to add the following:

Mojo is Flat, -0.1dB at 20kHz:
  1. True if no Load (no headphone connected)
  2. True if Load have more than ~100 Ohms
  3. Wrong for Loads under 100 Ohms: 8 Ohms/16 Ohms/32 Ohms

Mojo Outputs 0.5A as Huguo:
  1. True only at specific load and voltage

Before clipping max current per channel is:
  1.  around 280mA rms for loads under 8 Ohms
  2.  around 220mA rms at 8 Ohms
  3.  around 160mA rms at 22 Ohms
  4.  around 44mA rms at 100 Ohms
  5.  around 10mA rms at 500 Ohms

Otherwise as mentionned by some, Mojo has more than enough power (0.5W per channel in the 10 - 40 Ohms area)
In fact it has even more or same power than all portable amplifiers in the market.

Nov 29, 2016 at 3:46 AM Post #26,651 of 42,765

This was the same situation with FiiO E12A. It has the extension, but is smooth. 

I guess that there are a few of us who prefer brighter signatures? 

Shouldn't the smoothness of Mojo be easily solved with some EQ? Most headphones will need EQ anyways to sound their best... 

Nov 29, 2016 at 4:09 AM Post #26,652 of 42,765
This was the same situation with FiiO E12A. It has the extension, but is smooth. 

I guess that there are a few of us who prefer brighter signatures? 

Shouldn't the smoothness of Mojo be easily solved with some EQ? Most headphones will need EQ anyways to sound their best... 

Only if you think something needs to be solved. :wink:

Yes the Mojo works fine with EQ.

Nov 29, 2016 at 4:23 AM Post #26,653 of 42,765
At measurement level only, I would like to add the following:

Mojo Outputs 0.5A as Huguo:
  • True only at specific load and voltage

Before clipping max current per channel is:
  •  around 280mA rms for loads under 8 Ohms
  •  around 220mA rms at 8 Ohms
  •  around 160mA rms at 22 Ohms
  •  around 44mA rms at 100 Ohms
  •  around 10mA rms at 500 Ohms

All devices will change depending on the load. All of them.

Not sure where you got the mA measurements, but it's been stated that the Mojo delivers 0.5A RMS. Anyway, I'm tired of this constant back and forth. The simple fact is the Mojo is a little wonder box with incredible engineering that measures incredibly, sounds incredible, and is winning awards and music lovers hearts for a reason. I love it, others love it, and yet soooo many people just seem to want to lay false claims about extension and drive ability. Been at this for over a year with the Mojo and to be honest if someone doesn't like the little thing that's fine. If someone wants to point out measurements other than the designers, cool. Have fun. I'll just leave Rob's comments below about the current delivery of the Mojo. Have fun.

Originally Posted by Rob Watts View Post

The earlier prototypes had less current than Hugo - 0.2A RMS. But last Feb we were with Nelson (Malaysian distributor) and I showed him the prototype. He brought some headphones, and we compared it to Hugo - and it was bad, a lot of clipping from Mojo, none from Hugo. It so happened (luckily) Nelson gave us possibly the only 8 ohm headphones on the market Final Audio Pandora.

So I upgraded the current to match Hugo, its the same 0.5A RMS. To do this I used 6 small OP transistors in parallel as size would not permit use of the large devices I use in Hugo.

Mojo development had some weird fortuitous events - the first time we showed the prototype happened to use the only 8 ohm headphones that would show problems - and the day we were deciding on the design Xilinx emailed me with a new FPGA that would enable Hugo performance but with the needed power, and happened to be in production just in time for Mojo.

Originally Posted by Rob Watts View Post

1. The battery is capable of delivering 3A of current, and has very low impedance.
2. Mojo amplifier has a very high power supply rejection ratio.
3. The output is pure class A at 5v RMS into 300 ohm.

I just had an email today from a very experienced dealer that asked me this question:

"Chord Mojo should have single amplification which drive to both headphone output, but if I'm using any headphones (HD800 for example, very heavy to drive) to put on headphone output 1 and I connect another headphone to headphone output 2 (Beyer T1 for example), I hear no differences on sound quality. Normally if one amplification section used to drive 2 headphones output, then once we connect the second headphone will make overall sound quality degradation (as the case of Beyerdynamic A20 amp, Grace Design M903, etc). What is the logical explanation of this? As it seems Mojo has 2 separate amplification sections which drive independently for each headphone output."

Of course Mojo does not have two amplification stages. It can drive two headphones with ease because it has exceptional low output impedance, and it has exceptional current linearity. So loading it with more headphones has no effect, unlike other headphone amplifiers.

Indeed, when I initially started designing Hugo I was shocked how poor from a measurement point of view headphone amps were. Poor output impedance, huge levels of distortion, and poor current linearity seem to be typical. And these things matter, if your goal is transparency and musicality.

Rob

Nov 29, 2016 at 4:28 AM Post #26,654 of 42,765
Finally ordered my Mojo from Audio Sanctuary UK :D

Can't wait to receive it.

e-earphone JP is having a sale on the Dignis leather case for Mojo @ 9800 yen. I can't decide what colour to get. O:

Nov 29, 2016 at 4:31 AM Post #26,655 of 42,765
I have problem with my Chord Mojo if I fully charge it during the evening and leave it off during the night, then next day morning  try to use it flashes red light and turns itself off. Is this a defect in unit or should I request to get it repaired if so how much it will cost.

Thanks..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back