Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Nov 21, 2016 at 11:06 AM Post #26,146 of 42,765
  Hope somebody can help,

Okay so, I completely drained the battery, and then put it back on charge. there is a slight buzzing sound, as i understand is normal. But after charging for 5 and a half hours the mojo started buzzing louder, with the charging light still on. 

I am using a apple 5v 1 amp charger, and a generic cable.

First question I have to ask (sorry, but I have to get it out of the way, before going further): Is Mojos charging LED blinking during charging, or is it consistently still?

Secondly, have you tried a different charging cable? Some cables, surprisingly, have quite high resistance, and this can make the charger struggle to deliver enough current to Mojo.

Nov 21, 2016 at 11:17 AM Post #26,147 of 42,765
The charging light isn't blinking, and i have not tried  a different cable. 

This is its second charge, and it was ok the first time.

Different cable then?? I was looking at a native union cable, as on the apple store, or a cable that is rated for at least 2 amps.

Nov 21, 2016 at 11:29 AM Post #26,148 of 42,765
Good to hear the charging LED isn't blinking.

I'm not saying it's definitely your cable that's to blame for the buzzing - I'm suggesting it is one possibility, so, provided you don't choose an unnecessarily expensive alternative, yes, it would be worth trying a different one.

The noise is due to ripple voltage on the charger upsetting the inductors/capacitors within Mojo. If you use a clean quality PSU and a low resistance USB cable to the charger PSU the mechanical noise should be silent or insignificant. 

Rob

Nov 21, 2016 at 11:43 AM Post #26,149 of 42,765

'Globally' means lower the level of EVERY frequency band of the EQ.

Lower EVERY slider by 2db, then increase only the band you want to hear more of

Personally, I would not EQ - I prefer bit-perfect output, but if you want to EQ, then the reason why it was suggested that you lower every slider and then increase only the one you want to hear more of is because it means that you are less likely to experience distortion because of trying to 'amplify' a frequency band higher than it normally is.

OK ok. So lower everything but leave the band I need stimulated alone. And then add 2db to thr one Oh oh oh ok won't that recess?

No, not for parametric EQ... there aren't individual sliders for frequency bins, that's graphical EQ. The reason for attenuating is because saturating to zero is less audible than saturating to max level. The LSB of the data word contributes very little to overall amplitude... The MSBs contribute significantly.

There is a slider in the parametric EQ window that controls gain globally... it's usually effected as a prescale value for the samples before the signal processing.

Nov 21, 2016 at 11:45 AM Post #26,150 of 42,765

'Globally' means lower the level of EVERY frequency band of the EQ.

Lower EVERY slider by 2db, then increase only the band you want to hear more of

Personally, I would not EQ - I prefer bit-perfect output, but if you want to EQ, then the reason why it was suggested that you lower every slider and then increase only the one you want to hear more of is because it means that you are less likely to experience distortion because of trying to 'amplify' a frequency band higher than it normally is.

OK ok. So lower everything but leave the band I need stimulated alone. And then add 2db to thr one Oh oh oh ok won't that recess?

No, not for parametric EQ... there aren't individual sliders for frequency bins, that's graphical EQ. The reason for attenuating is because saturating to zero is less audible than saturating to max level. The LSB of the data word contributes very little to overall amplitude... The MSBs contribute significantly.

There is a slider in the parametric EQ window that controls gain globally... it's usually effected as a prescale value for the samples before the signal processing.

Agreed, but the parametric looks to be an additional pay-to-unlock component, within UAPP.

Cheers for clarifying, though.
beerchug.gif

I'm surprised more people didn't chip-in, as we have lots of UAPP users here.

Nov 21, 2016 at 11:46 AM Post #26,151 of 42,765
Agreed, but the parametric looks to be an additional pay-to-unlock component, within UAPP.

Cheers for clarifying, though. :beerchug:

most on here will never use EQ.

Nov 21, 2016 at 11:49 AM Post #26,152 of 42,765

Cheers for clarifying, though.
beerchug.gif

most on here will never use EQ.

LOL - good point (and one I happen to be in agreement with).

Nov 21, 2016 at 11:50 AM Post #26,153 of 42,765
LOL - good point (and one I happen to be in agreement with).
yeah ABBA,Celine Dion, and Norah Jones doesnt need EQ. Lucky you :blush:

Nov 21, 2016 at 12:12 PM Post #26,154 of 42,765
  Hi Folks, 
I have tried hard to read posts for the last few days!  I think I am might have thread fatigue syndrome (TFS).  I could use some wise clarity.  

I am trying to understand high quality, portable, listening in a hurry as Black Friday is fast approaching.  
I have a iPhone 6s and a Mojo Chord.  Years past I got into Flac for a home system.  The iPhone and the Mojo sound fantastic.  I have been streaming Spotify Premium at the highest bit rate of 320kbs.  I want to build do a few things:

1.  Download music in a lossless format, Alac or Flac, in order to listen away from wifi.  

2. Rip CDs in a lossless format in order to listen away from wifi. 

I tried messing around with Tidal this morning.  It seems that you can't play Flac files on an iPhone that you download from Tidal, or, if you can it's too complicated for me.  There are apparently restrictions on how the iPhone can work with Tidal.  I love the convenience of using my iPhone with the Mojo, but maybe with Black Friday approaching I should consider buying a DAP to use with the Mojo.  My newbie understanding is that I want a DAP that can bypass it's internal amp and output Bit Perfect (?) signals to the Mojo.  I also want a DAP that has wifi and can download Tidal/Flac and Spotify music to a memory card.  I just want to keep it simple and not too technical.  

I have read that the Mojo is likely to be superior to the DAC/AMP stages of most DAPs.  

How do I get into lossless formats and keep in clean and simple for the portable use of downloaded music?  What should I buy?

Thank you very much. 

I am not sure what you are really trying to do, but to keep it simple, you cannot download music from streaming services and play it in your iPhone's music app. To play music from the streaming service while offline (no wifi) you need to use the streaming service's app.

• Go to the App Store and search for Tidal.
  • Install the App on your iPhone and open it.
  • Find an album or playlist you want to listen to.
  • Select it and just below the artwork (cover) you will see 3 buttons. The one on the right (switch with a down arrow) is download.
  • Tap it and you will see a message that it has been added to the download queue.
  • Back out of the playlist or album to get to the Home Screen.
  • Tap the three lines in the upper left corner to open the Menu.
  • Up one from the bottom of the list is Offline Content. Tap it to view the Albums, Playlists and the Download Queue for Offline Content.
  • To play the offline content, use the top item of the Menu to put the Tidal App in the offline mode and then select Offline Content to select the album or playlist to play.
  • There are some settings that you need to set for downloaded and streaming quality.

How much music you can store in the Tidal app depends on the available memory of your iPhone. If or when you cancel your monthly subscription the downloaded music will be removed from your iPhone. Tidal works the same on Android phones and DAPs, but the Android OS upsamples the output to the Mojo. The Astell & Kern DAPs have added the ability to stream Tidal, but they do not allow storing its music for later playback. At this point, I would just stick with your iPhone and learn how to use the Tidal App.

Hope this helps. PM me if you have any how to questions and I will try to help you.

Nov 21, 2016 at 12:15 PM Post #26,155 of 42,765

Cheers for clarifying, though. :beerchug:

Understood. I was under the impression we were talking about parametric EQ since the poster was instructed to twiddle with the Q factor.

Nov 21, 2016 at 12:30 PM Post #26,157 of 42,765

yeah ABBA,Celine Dion, and Norah Jones doesnt need EQ. Lucky you :blush:

Depends on the headphones and equipment actually, not necessarily the source material... Though in some cases that may be true as well.

Mojo has built-in protection for excessive voltage, but I don't think Rob incorporated protection for excessive wailing, so anyone using Mojo to play Celine Dion does so entirely at their own risk, and may invalidate their warranty!

Probably best to also avoid using glass toslink cables, as her wailing may shatter the strands.

Nov 21, 2016 at 12:33 PM Post #26,158 of 42,765
Mojo has built-in protection for excessive voltage, but I don't think Rob incorporated protection for excessive wailing, so anyone using Mojo to play Celine Dion does so entirely at their own risk, and may invalidate their warranty!

Probably best to also avoid using glass toslink cables, as her wailing may shatter the strands.

I'd give you rep twice for that if I could.

Nov 21, 2016 at 12:37 PM Post #26,159 of 42,765
Jost got my Mojo on this weekend, very excited. I have a Sony Walkman NWZX100. What's the best way, best cable to use when connecting the two?

Nov 21, 2016 at 12:39 PM Post #26,160 of 42,765
By the way, as I await the arrival of my Mojo on Wednesday, I wanted to let those on the fence know how to get 20% off from Amazon.

Amazon has the Mojo for $549, but if you sign up for the Amazon credit card, you get a $70 instant credit. The approval process takes less than a minute.

So, I paid $479 for a brand new Mojo shipped and once the bill shows up in a month, I'll pay it off. This gives me some time to sell my TEAC HA-P50 in red and some other items to help offset the cost of my new toy.

I'm a former Hugo owner, so I have a real good idea on what the Mojo sounds like, and I'm excited! 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back