Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Nov 21, 2016 at 7:55 AM Post #26,131 of 42,765

Funny thing is that there is a FAQ on the sidebar of the thread that anyone is welcome to add useful information.... just saying.

Regarding answers, I think that many have provided answers quickly.

I have followed this thread on my iPhone since the Mojo was announced and never see the full title of the thread. Anyone coming in via the Portable Source Gear category is similarly hampered. I don't see a sidebar either and there is no visible search function. These are limitations of head-fi's mobile support. So how about: At the very start of the first post telling people about the 3rd post and ALSO tell them how to find and use the search function effectively on this thread. Keep up the good work.

Thankyou for the feedback.

I didn't realise the mobile site is quite so neutered as that.

You are the first person in over a year, that I can recall mentioning that the whole thread title is not visible.

I think we all realise there is no perfect solution for every person, and there isn't a great deal I can do, but I will think about a few small formatting changes, here & there.

Cheers.

Nov 21, 2016 at 8:33 AM Post #26,132 of 42,765

You are the first person in over a year, that I can recall mentioning that the whole thread title is not visible.

I think we all realise there is no perfect solution for every person, and there isn't a great deal I can do, but I will think about a few small formatting changes, here & there.

Cheers.

Mython, I think it is time that Chord gave you a loaner of a Dave DAC for a few weeks (or maybe years 
blink.gif
) for services rendered way beyond reasonable expectation of any Head-Fi'er? 
wink.gif

Nov 21, 2016 at 8:42 AM Post #26,133 of 42,765

Cheers.

Mython, I think it is time that Chord gave you a loaner of a Dave DAC for a few weeks (or maybe years 
blink.gif
) for services rendered way beyond reasonable expectation of any Head-Fi'er? 
wink.gif

LOL - well, Rob loaned me a Mojo, a couple of weeks ago (thanks, Rob), so I'll just have to lust after DAVE until I can afford one in ten years or so from now!
ph34r.gif

Nov 21, 2016 at 8:43 AM Post #26,134 of 42,765
I understand your POV, but the 'simple' truth is that I can't possibly please everyone

What follows isn't me being stroppy or defensive - as I said, I can see your POV, so what follows is just by way of explanation:

It's simple to expect a 'simple' FAQ, but there are such a vast number of possible permutations, issues, configurations, technical queries, background technical information etc. that what one person would be satisfied with, hundreds of others would find lacking for their particular niche question(s). Mojo is a simple, and yet deceptively-complex, little beast, and it thoroughly deserves an in-depth knowledge-base for a wide range of people to be able to dip into.

Faced with such a vast quantity of information, I have had to try categorise it and sub-divide it, without diluting the depth of information. I can appreciate that that may seem daunting to some (especially if viewing on a smartphone), but I am unwilling to shortchange more technical users for the sake of a few who may find it daunting. Even those who find it daunting, can, if they are willing to invest a little patience, find most of the answers they need, if they carefully scan post #3, and then click on the spoilers headings that seem most relevant. They can also visit Chord Electronics' dedicated website: www.chordmojo.com/support/

Do I think post #3 is perfect? No, not by a long chalk. It will never be perfect, but it provides a wide array of information to help a wide array of Mojo customers, and wherever it may fall short, others will be happy to answer, here in the thread, and I will endeavour to add that to post #3, as time goes by.

I'm not suggesting anyone actually does this, but if one begins at the bottom of post #3, and works their way upwards, expanding every spoiler, and nested-spoiler, sequentially, you'll probably end up with well over 50 pages of information. That's a good & a bad thing, at the same time, but I won't throw away useful detailed information just for the sake of those unwilling to dig a little; sorry.

When you say that no one volunteers to be patient, I think you may be seeing people point to post #3, with good reason, if the information is indeed contained in post #3, but that doesn't necessarily mean they are being unhelpful.

Like it or not, there are a surprising number of people who, one after another, ask basic questions which have been patiently answered many tens of times (or more) in the thread, and included in post #3 for many months, just sitting there, helpfully waiting to be read. Perhaps not formatted in a way that suits your preferences, but nevertheless openly available to anyone who reads the clear thread title and uses a little initiative before jumping into the thread and posting a question.

Where there are more technical questions that may slip in between the cracks of the knowledge-base in post #3, there are quite a number of people only too willing to assist, on a daily basis. I'm sure you know this - I've seen you post, sporadically, in this thread, for quite some time, now, so you will have seen a lot of informative answers posted by people (x RELIC x, in particular, has really stepped up to the plate, in recent months).

So... no hard feelings, but as xtr4 mentioned, I, too, will have to amicably agree to disagree with you.

You are most welcome to add information that you consider useful, to the Head-fi FAQ which I've linked at the top of post #3, since it is open to contributions from all head-fiers:

Head-fi Mojo FAQ (started by 'Currawong')

Like I said, it's your call since it's your own post. It was a just a suggestion.

Nov 21, 2016 at 9:00 AM Post #26,135 of 42,765

I understand your POV, but the 'simple' truth is that I can't possibly please everyone

What follows isn't me being stroppy or defensive - as I said, I can see your POV, so what follows is just by way of explanation:

It's simple to expect a 'simple' FAQ, but there are such a vast number of possible permutations, issues, configurations, technical queries, background technical information etc. that what one person would be satisfied with, hundreds of others would find lacking for their particular niche question(s). Mojo is a simple, and yet deceptively-complex, little beast, and it thoroughly deserves an in-depth knowledge-base for a wide range of people to be able to dip into.

Faced with such a vast quantity of information, I have had to try categorise it and sub-divide it, without diluting the depth of information. I can appreciate that that may seem daunting to some (especially if viewing on a smartphone), but I am unwilling to shortchange more technical users for the sake of a few who may find it daunting. Even those who find it daunting, can, if they are willing to invest a little patience, find most of the answers they need, if they carefully scan post #3, and then click on the spoilers headings that seem most relevant. They can also visit Chord Electronics' dedicated website: www.chordmojo.com/support/

Do I think post #3 is perfect? No, not by a long chalk. It will never be perfect, but it provides a wide array of information to help a wide array of Mojo customers, and wherever it may fall short, others will be happy to answer, here in the thread, and I will endeavour to add that to post #3, as time goes by.

I'm not suggesting anyone actually does this, but if one begins at the bottom of post #3, and works their way upwards, expanding every spoiler, and nested-spoiler, sequentially, you'll probably end up with well over 50 pages of information. That's a good & a bad thing, at the same time, but I won't throw away useful detailed information just for the sake of those unwilling to dig a little; sorry.

When you say that no one volunteers to be patient, I think you may be seeing people point to post #3, with good reason, if the information is indeed contained in post #3, but that doesn't necessarily mean they are being unhelpful.

Like it or not, there are a surprising number of people who, one after another, ask basic questions which have been patiently answered many tens of times (or more) in the thread, and included in post #3 for many months, just sitting there, helpfully waiting to be read. Perhaps not formatted in a way that suits your preferences, but nevertheless openly available to anyone who reads the clear thread title and uses a little initiative before jumping into the thread and posting a question.

Where there are more technical questions that may slip in between the cracks of the knowledge-base in post #3, there are quite a number of people only too willing to assist, on a daily basis. I'm sure you know this - I've seen you post, sporadically, in this thread, for quite some time, now, so you will have seen a lot of informative answers posted by people (x RELIC x, in particular, has really stepped up to the plate, in recent months).

So... no hard feelings, but as xtr4 mentioned, I, too, will have to amicably agree to disagree with you.

You are most welcome to add information that you consider useful, to the Head-fi FAQ which I've linked at the top of post #3, since it is open to contributions from all head-fiers:

Head-fi Mojo FAQ (started by 'Currawong')

Like I said, it's your call since it's your own post. It was a just a suggestion.

As a compromise, please check the top of post #1, now.

I've also shortened the thread title (Mobile site users please feedback to me on whether or not you can now read the full thread title)

Nov 21, 2016 at 9:08 AM Post #26,136 of 42,765
Well said!

Suggestion was to make FAQ to-the-point and efficient since none with portable devices and PC wants any freezing going through unnecessary wall of pictures/texts. FAQ is about quick access.

You should include that in your future products since Rob is too busy designing well implemented DACs. I wouldn't mind spending extra dollar or two for a better manual.

Nov 21, 2016 at 9:10 AM Post #26,137 of 42,765
Can the Mojo be used as a dac with the Little Dot Mk3 tube headphone amp. My main headphone system operates through a Chord DAVE but I was thinking of buying the LD as a low cost introduction to tube headphone amps and an opportunity to explore tube-rolling. Any advice on how best to set things up? Thanks.

Nov 21, 2016 at 9:11 AM Post #26,138 of 42,765

As a compromise, please check the top of post #1, now.

I've also shortened the thread title (Mobile site users please feedback to me on whether or not you can now read the full thread title)

Sorry bro - I am mobile at the moment but can't see nothing? 
blink.gif

Nov 21, 2016 at 9:27 AM Post #26,139 of 42,765
That whole essay post Mython just wrote was along the line of "there won't be any modifications on my post".

I just did modify post #1, as a very reasonable compromise, to include hotlinks to instantly skip to post #3, in light of your suggestion:

Still have no clue why ppl insist on putting FAQ as post #3 when it should be post #1 like I have mentioned months ago.

Suggestion was to make FAQ to-the-point and efficient since none with portable devices wants any freezing going through unnecessary wall of pictures/texts. FAQ is about quick access.

Page #1 isn't formally an FAQ - it has grown and evolved out of the conversations in this Mojo thread, and some conversations in other Chord DAC threads on head-fi.

There are, however, links, non-official and official, to FAQs.

No one cares to see the Chord Mojo image and awards one after another. I'll just start a new post getting tired of scrolling down considering it spam.

Chord Electronics are a sponsor of this website that you are using. They have a right to an introductory post listing awards the product in question has won.

There are countless posts on Head-fi that begin with images of an announced or released product.

I have been very careful to not include embedded youtube links on page 1, to minimise bandwidth usage.

I will chat to Chord, and ask if they'd like me to reduce the number of images in post #1, but it is their right to continue to have them there, if they wish.

No one wants to to read Rob Watts interviews and philosophy in FAQ.
It's a FAQ, not a introductory post. No wonder ppl just skip it.

Please don't presume to speak for everyone else. Rob's DACs are quite unique in their technical approach, and Rob has been generous with his explanations of the whys and wherefores of his technical approach to designing DACs. His posts are highly informative, even to those who do not own one of his DACs, and I can assure you I am not saying that from a sycophantic standpoint - it is simply an observation of what is so.

A seperate head-fi FAQ is listed in the very first line of post #3, and you can contribute anything you wish to it, to bring it further in line with your needs.

Also listed in post #1 and post #3 (and now also post #2) is Chord's official FAQ, which, you may be glad to see, does not contain in-depth discussion of Rob's design philosophy: http://www.chordmojo.com/support/

To be clear: I am not a Chord employee.

I have built the content of the posts in page 1 out of a willingness to support what I consider a decent product, and to support other head-fiers. I don't earn a penny or cent from doing so.

Nov 21, 2016 at 9:34 AM Post #26,140 of 42,765
Moving on.
I just did modify post #1, as a very reasonable compromise, to include hotlinks to instantly skip to post #3, in light of your suggestion:

[rule]

Page #1 isn't formally an FAQ - it has grown and evolved out of the conversations in this Mojo thread, and some conversations in other Chord DAC threads on head-fi.

Chord Electronics are a sponsor of this website that you are using. They have a right to an introductory post listing awards the product in question has won.

There are countless posts on Head-fi that begin with images of an announced or released product.

I have been very careful to not include embedded youtube links on page 1, to minimise bandwidth usage.

I will chat to Chord, and ask if they'd like me to reduce the number of images in post #1, but it is their right to continue to have them there, if they wish.

Please don't presume to speak for everyone else. Rob's DACs are quite unique in their technical approach, and Rob has been generous with his explanations of the whys and wherefores of his technical approach to designing DACs. His posts are highly informative, even to those who do not own one of his DACs, and I can assure you I am not saying that from a sycophantic standpoint - it is simply an observation of what is so.

A seperate head-fi FAQ is listed in the very first line of post #3, and you can contribute anything you wish to it, to bring it further in line with your needs.

Also listed in post #1 and post #3 (and now also post #2) is Chord's official FAQ, which, you may be glad to see, does not contain in-depth discussion of Rob's design philosophy: http://www.chordmojo.com/support/

I have built the content of the posts in page 1 out of a willingness to support what I consider a decent product, and to support other head-fiers. I don't earn a penny or cent from doing so.

I get it. It was just a suggestion. I was speaking while staying stricyly objective to the FAQ. OFC people want to hear Rob's philosophy about music and his dacs. I am a fan of Hugo. Neverthless, dosen't belong in FAQ IMO.

Moving on.

Nov 21, 2016 at 9:40 AM Post #26,141 of 42,765
Can the Mojo be used as a dac with the Little Dot Mk3 tube headphone amp. My main headphone system operates through a Chord DAVE but I was thinking of buying the LD as a low cost introduction to tube headphone amps and an opportunity to explore tube-rolling. Any advice on how best to set things up? Thanks.

I am unfamiliar with the Little Dot, but are you fundamentally asking if Mojo can be set to line-level, and fed from the 3.5mm headphone out to the RCA inputs of an amp, without detriment to SQ?

If so, then the answer is yes. Mojo can be set to line level (or lower, if you prefer), and fed to an amp.

If you are concerned that Mojo may have an 'amplifier' within it's casing, which you'd like to bypass, then I recommend you read post #3 for Rob's explanation that Mojo doesn't include an amplifier, in the conventional sense.

See the headings:

'Regarding Mojos output stage'

and, further down the post:

'Setting Mojo to Line-Level (e.g. for use with a Preamplifier or Active Loudspeakers, etc.'
'Regarding optional use of an additional amp'

Nov 21, 2016 at 9:52 AM Post #26,142 of 42,765

As a delighted new Mojo owner, post #3 was invaluable and indispensible in my research process and in figuring out how to make this little thing work with everything else it needs to work it (also damn entertaining).  I sincerely appreciate having things curated and presented in one place, and not having to rely on search to find these things.  Thank you and everyone for the amazing of work that has obviously gone into it, for something that is clearly a pay it forward exercise.

Now I get to work through the FAQ!

Nov 21, 2016 at 10:07 AM Post #26,143 of 42,765

[rule]

Its a shame you had to change things for one person. In 26000 posts regret have been few complaints

Also any prospective owner ought to be be interested in what Chord have to say about their product.

Thanks for your efforts

Nov 21, 2016 at 10:24 AM Post #26,144 of 42,765

As a delighted new Mojo owner, post #3 was invaluable and indispensible in my research process and in figuring out how to make this little thing work with everything else it needs to work it (also damn entertaining).  I sincerely appreciate having things curated and presented in one place, and not having to rely on search to find these things.  Thank you and everyone for the amazing of work that has obviously gone into it, for something that is clearly a pay it forward exercise.

Now I get to work through the FAQ!

Its a shame you had to change things for one person. In 26000 posts regret have been few complaints

Also any prospective owner ought to be be interested in what Chord have to say about their product.

Thanks for your efforts

Thanks, both, for your support.

To be fair, SearchOfSub makes some valid points, and it's not that I'm being dismissive of them, it's just that I can't make an enormous amount of information into a tiny amount of information without it ceasing to be an enormous repository of information.

No hard feelings.

It's not dismissive or personal; it's just situational.

beerchug.gif

Nov 21, 2016 at 10:56 AM Post #26,145 of 42,765
Hope somebody can help,

Okay so, I completely drained the battery, and then put it back on charge. there is a slight buzzing sound, as i understand is normal. But after charging for 5 and a half hours the mojo started buzzing louder, with the charging light still on. 

I am using a apple 5v 1 amp charger, and a generic cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back