Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Nov 21, 2016 at 12:40 PM Post #26,161 of 42,765
  Jost got my Mojo on this weekend, very excited. I have a Sony Walkman NWZX100. What's the best way, best cable to use when connecting the two?

I just asked this too ... the 3rd post on this thread has the information on connection to your Sony.

Nov 21, 2016 at 12:57 PM Post #26,162 of 42,765
Sorry if I'm thick, but I see a link to a cable from Amazon, but then I read reports that it wont work. What are you using?

Nov 21, 2016 at 1:00 PM Post #26,163 of 42,765
   I have a Sony Walkman NWZX100. What's the best way, best cable to use when connecting the two?

You have to be careful with Sony digital-out cables - there were some attempts by one or two Chinese vendors, at creating 3rdparty single-cable versions, but I have been told by some serious Sony-users that these haven't proven reliable in terms of vendor communication, consistency of availability, and, since so few head-fiers have obtained them, it isn't entirely clear how reliable they are in terms of operation.

Therefore, at this point in time, there is only one reliable option, and that is to purchase a genuine Sony digital-output cable and then connect a USB-male-to-microUSB-male cable in between that and Mojo (the USB-male-to-microUSB-male cable is included in the Mojo box).

As you will see in post #3, this is discussed there, but, because it is so important not to accidentally buy the wrong Sony cable, I will explicitly state here that you must not buy this one:

www.amazon.com/Custom-Walkman-Digital-WM-Port-Degrees/dp/B00YWEHSQY

The ONLY cable you should use for digital output from a Sony DAP is the genuine Sony WMC-NWH10 USB Conversion Cable for Hi Res Audio Output

Pics in post #3....

Nov 21, 2016 at 1:04 PM Post #26,164 of 42,765
Thank you....in terms of getting the best sound do you recommend this or a 3.5 to 3.5 cable? I'm not tied to any cable at this point, just looking for the best audio possible.

Nov 21, 2016 at 1:06 PM Post #26,165 of 42,765
  Thank you....in terms of getting the best sound do you recommend this or a 3.5 to 3.5 cable? I'm not tied to any cable at this point, just looking for the best audio possible.

I'm not sure what you mean - are you referring to co-axial connection?

Sony won't provide a co-axial output...

Nov 21, 2016 at 1:14 PM Post #26,166 of 42,765
Can't I go from the headphone jack on my walkman into the coax on the Mojo?

Nov 21, 2016 at 1:15 PM Post #26,167 of 42,765
  Can't I go from the headphone jack on my walkman into the coax on the Mojo?

Definitely not.

Please do NOT try this!!!

The headphone output on your walkman is analogue.

The co-ax input on Mojo is digital.

So, they are speaking two different signal languages, added to which you might even damage Mojos co-ax input.

Nov 21, 2016 at 1:17 PM Post #26,168 of 42,765
Never mind, I guess my only option is USB. Thanks for the help.

Nov 21, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #26,169 of 42,765
Nov 21, 2016 at 1:26 PM Post #26,170 of 42,765
Never mind, I guess my only option is USB. Thanks for the help.

U can connect your sony using this cable.

9e6efb4c0efc28bc9b246a4a446f11ee.jpg

Sent from my LG-H961N using Tapatalk

Nov 21, 2016 at 1:54 PM Post #26,172 of 42,765
I am unfamiliar with the Little Dot, but are you fundamentally asking if Mojo can be set to line-level, and fed from the 3.5mm headphone out to the RCA inputs of an amp, without detriment to SQ?

If so, then the answer is yes. Mojo can be set to line level (or lower, if you prefer), and fed to an amp.

If you are concerned that Mojo may have an 'amplifier' within it's casing, which you'd like to bypass, then I recommend you read post #3 for Rob's explanation that Mojo doesn't include an amplifier, in the conventional sense.

See the headings:

'Regarding Mojos output stage'

and, further down the post:

'Setting Mojo to Line-Level (e.g. for use with a Preamplifier or Active Loudspeakers, etc.'
'Regarding optional use of an additional amp'

Thanks for taking the time to answer. Sorry, I should have taken a little longer with my post. I am familiar with the Mojo's ability to be used in this way. It was more about whether there were any incompatibilities with the Little Dot (technical or in terms of synergy) as I have no experience with tube amps and do not have that much technical knowledge. So I was hoping there would be someone who has used the Mojo with the LD you could offer some reassurance and perhaps advice on how best to set the pairing up.

Nov 21, 2016 at 1:59 PM Post #26,173 of 42,765
Thanks for taking the time to answer. Sorry, I should have taken a little longer with my post. I am familiar with the Mojo's ability to be used in this way. It was more about whether there were any incompatibilities with the Little Dot (technical or in terms of synergy) as I have no experience with tube amps and do not have that much technical knowledge. So I was hoping there would be someone who has used the Mojo with the LD you could offer some reassurance and perhaps advice on how best to set the pairing up.

I think there are quite a few members using their Mojo to feed valve amplifiers or headphone amplifiers, so you should get some replies.
Valve amps seem to be most popular in the US, so maybe they will respond in two or three hours, after finishing work for the day. 

Nov 21, 2016 at 2:42 PM Post #26,174 of 42,765

I think there are quite a few members using their Mojo to feed valve amplifiers or headphone amplifiers, so you should get some replies.
Valve amps seem to be most popular in the US, so maybe they will respond in two or three hours, after finishing work for the day. 

Some of us need a distraction from work...

I sometimes use a "hybrid" amplifier that uses a tube for conditioning with a solid state output stage. All the noise and distortion of a tube, with the convenience of a solid state design... What more could one ask for? 

I think the answer to the poster's question is true regardless of amp type...

Yes, Mojo can be used as a DAC driving , as long as can be driven from a TRS output either directly or with use of adapters. Just be cognizant of the fact that Mojo can produce an unreasonably high output level, that could cause problems with if not attenuated. Check the data sheet for and see what level it likes to be driven at, then set the Mojo output to that level. The easiest way is to start at the preset level (3Vrms) and count clicks until you get to the desired attenuation (each click is 1dB). 

As far as this amp in particular... I'd be a little concerned about the efficacy of this set up. Mojo, as I previously mentioned, can produce very loud outputs to begin with... The gain in this amp is truly gain, in the lowest range that's 3x or +18dB. That means you'd have dial in about 18dB of attenuation on the Mojo from the loudest level you typically use to drive your headphones, which could potentially be a lot of digital attenuation already. With the Mojo, in general, I would highly recommend you look at amps that have negative gain (i.e. function as analog attenuators). The goal is to reduce the amount of digital attenuation... With analog attenuation there is theoretically no loss of information, though in practice you could potentially go below the noise floor.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back