Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Sep 13, 2016 at 3:46 PM Post #22,666 of 42,765
Let me just say that the Mojo's bottom weight is not lacking. The issue that may be heard with passive speakers is the amplification requirements, not the source requirement. The Audio Bronze 2 speakers are rated 8 Ohm, 90 dB/1W@1M with an amplification requirement of 30-100W of power. The speakers just aren't sensitive enough to be driven without a power amplifier. That's not an issue with the Mojo, that's a system mismatch.

If looking to use the Mojo in a system make sure the system is matched properly for power and then adding the Mojo as a DAC will not, in any way, show a lack of bass or tonal mass. That 'rumour' is unfounded.

I thought that the sensitivity rating on these Bronze's was pretty high, let's say compared to the LS50's which people earlier were suggesting for use with the Mojo in a dedicated home setting.  I don't know a whole lot yet on my learning curve but when you say "aren't sensitive enough to be driven without a power amplifier"  (in your first paragraph) I will have my Cambridge CXA 60 integrated connected.  If I'm not understanding you, please correct me - my green horn is heating up.

Sep 13, 2016 at 3:50 PM Post #22,667 of 42,765
  Why not? The highest rung on the hi-fi ladder I've experienced is the Mojo, and I'm genuinely curious about how gear twice+ the price compares - even subjectively.

I never do any critical listening so it could well be I'd never notice the difference between a Mojo and something like the Yggy. But still, curiosity...

IMO even without critical listening (for example, texting while listening) you'll be able to perceive the analytical, sterile sound of Yggy compared to very musical sounding Mojo. Their sound deltas are different enough that you can hear the difference through a entry level studio monitors.

Sep 13, 2016 at 3:58 PM Post #22,668 of 42,765
I thought that the sensitivity rating on these Bronze's was pretty high, let's say compared to the LS50's which people earlier were suggesting for use with the Mojo in a dedicated home setting.  I don't know a whole lot yet on my learning curve but when you say "aren't sensitive enough to be driven without a power amplifier"  (in your first paragraph) I will have my Cambridge CXA 60 integrated connected.  If I'm not understanding you, please correct me - my green horn is heating up.

The Cambridge should be fine driving your speakers, while the Mojo would not have the required juice by itself. All you need is a 3.5mm to RCA cable to connect the two and you'll be good to go. Personally, I wouldn't recommend any passive speaker connected directly to the Mojo unless they are efficient horn speakers.

Sep 13, 2016 at 4:55 PM Post #22,669 of 42,765
The Cambridge should be fine driving your speakers, while the Mojo would not have the required juice by itself. All you need is a 3.5mm to RCA cable to connect the two and you'll be good to go. Personally, I wouldn't recommend any passive speaker connected directly to the Mojo unless they are efficient horn speakers.

Thank you Relic for clearing that up; for a moment I thought I was up the creek.

Sep 13, 2016 at 5:38 PM Post #22,670 of 42,765
After many months of hesitation to use a double side tape or dual lock to bind the Mojo with my DAP, finally I gathered enough courage to do it yesterday. I must say that the ease of use just shot up 50%.

I aligned my Fiio X3ii in such a way that it is flat on the right hand side and the bottom so that I can lay it on a flat surface in 3 different orientations. This way the volume marbles are exposed sufficiently for easy access.

Sep 13, 2016 at 5:39 PM Post #22,671 of 42,765
Good News for Mojo+DAP stackers. I hunted down a case for carrying and storing a Mojo+DAP stack. The limitation is, it can only work with small sized DAPs. Shown in the picture is a Fiio X3ii+Mojo stack.

Apecase AC165: http://www.adorama.com/apnac165.html

It can hold a Mojo+Dap Stack + 2 IEMs + 2 or 3 Short Cables or Adapters. Although it provides the convenience to carry IEMs, I would recommend against it unless otherwise needed.

There are mesh pockets inside the main compartment that come in the way every time you try to put the stack in. But you can cut those off. If you have a smaller DAP than the X3ii, I'd suggest you look into Apecase AC160 (smaller version of the AC165)

DAPs that will fit: Fiio X3ii, Lotoo Paw 5000, Astel & Kern AK100/AK120/AK100ii/AK70, Shanling M1, Sony Walkman A15/A16/A17/A25/A26/A27, iBasso DX90/DX50, Tiny Smartphones

DAPs that might be a hit or miss: Fiio X5ii, Luxury & Precision L3, iPod Touch, Astel & Kern AK120ii

DAPs that will NOT fit: Fiio X7, Onkyo DP-X1, Luxury & Precision LP5/L5Pro, Large Screen Smartphones

DAPs that I am uncertain: Astel & Kern AK240/AK300/AK320/AK380, Soundaware M1

Sep 13, 2016 at 6:14 PM Post #22,672 of 42,765
Good News for Mojo+DAP stackers. I hunted down a case for carrying and storing a Mojo+DAP stack. The limitation is, it can only work with small sized DAPs. Shown in the picture is a Fiio X3ii+Mojo stack.

Apecase AC165: http://www.adorama.com/apnac165.html

It can hold a Mojo+Dap Stack + 2 IEMs + 2 or 3 Short Cables or Adapters. Although it provides the convenience to carry IEMs, I would recommend against it unless otherwise needed.

There are mesh pockets inside the main compartment that comes in the way every time you try to put the stack in. But you can cut it off. If you have a smaller DAP than the X3ii, I'd suggest you look into Apecase AC160 (smaller version of the AC165)

DAPs that will fit: Fiio X3ii, Lotoo Paw 5000, Astel & Kern AK100/AK120/AK100ii/AK70, Shanling M1, Sony Walkman A15/A16/A17/A25/A26/A27, iBasso DX90/DX50, Tiny Smartphones

DAPs that might be a hit or miss: Fiio X5ii, Luxury & Precision L3, iPod Touch, Astel & Kern AK120ii

DAPs that will NOT fit: Fiio X7, Onkyo DP-X1, Luxury & Precision LP5/L5Pro, Large Screen Smartphones

DAPs that I am uncertain: Astel & Kern AK240/AK300/AK320/AK380, Shanling M1

Thanks for this EagleWings! I will keep this in mind.
Can you recommend a carrying pouch that can either fit Mojo or Mojo with some cables on the sides?

Sep 13, 2016 at 11:59 PM Post #22,674 of 42,765
  Thanks for this EagleWings! I will keep this in mind.
Can you recommend a carrying pouch that can either fit Mojo or Mojo with some cables on the sides?

Thanks Max. Have you had a chance to check out these 2 posts:

1) http://www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread-please-read-the-3rd-post/18750#post_12655518

2) http://www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread-please-read-the-3rd-post/21495#post_12801333

I highly recommend the Lowerpro Santiago 20ii as it is a semi hard case. Hard enough to protect the Mojo from impacts. Given that you are looking for a case to carry only the Mojo, you have tons of options out there. Basically, most of the point and shoot camera cases should work. 

3) I came across this compact case in Target today. It may not fit a cable. Can hold a naked Mojo.
Amazon Link: https://www.amazon.com/Case-Logic-DCB-301-Compact-Camera/dp/B0039BPFZW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1473825011&sr=8-1&keywords=case+logic+dcb+301

4) A bigger version of the same case that has a zipper outside that can hold a cable:
Amazon Link: https://www.amazon.com/Case-Logic-DCB-302-Compact-Camera/dp/B003F7DWH8/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1473824961&sr=8-10&keywords=case+logic+point+shoot++case

Sep 14, 2016 at 12:06 AM Post #22,675 of 42,765

Sep 14, 2016 at 1:05 AM Post #22,676 of 42,765
Fellow Mojo aficionados, i could use your advice.  Here's the story....

After lurking on this thread a while and consuming the troves of raving reviews, i pick up a Mojo to pair up with my SE846. Thanks to tips on this site, i turn to Amazon.co.uk for the $140 savings presented by Brexit.  Gadget arrives three weeks and sonic bliss presents but for one catch (of course, there's a catch); cellular interference from my iPhone! Airplane mode is not an option for me (streaming spotify), and i don't care to invest in a DAP, so,with a sigh, back to Amazon.co.uk it goes.  Repackaged and at the UPS store - now comes the surprise.  Return shipping is over $100.  Wait....what?  It only cost 
GBP 9.95 to get here.  Apparently it is a lot cheaper to ship TO the US than out.  And Amazon will reimburse up to ~$10.  Next option - USPS - $48 with tracking.  ​

Then it occurs to me.  Can a fellow head-fier benefit from my predicament?   With only a few posts to my name and never having sold (or purchased) on the forum, I have no repute to speak of.  Will anyone be interested?  Still have a week to return and just looking to minimize loss.  Thoughts?  ​

Nash​

Sep 14, 2016 at 1:34 AM Post #22,677 of 42,765
  Shameless promo:
Heads up I have sold my Mojo and have a Penon decoding cable in the FS forum for $80 shipped. I pd $129 and it's basically brand new.
The cable uses an original chip from the Apple CCK.

Speaking of shameless promos:
Heads up I have a brand new Mojo up for sale in the FS forum for $550 OBO.  I will cover shipping cost as well as PayPal fee.
PM me if interested (or with any questions).
It is still sealed in original box.

Sep 14, 2016 at 6:21 AM Post #22,678 of 42,765

Looked at your MOJO review Dan and I must say I'm being pulled in.............. in a good way.  You'd make a good salesman, but in this case maybe the little guy sells itself. Thanks

Every time someone attests to the fact that this little fella can be used most adequately in a home system with passives, it does give me the kind of confidence I've been looking for.  Thanks again.

Oh wait, I was suppose to go into work today!

Thank you for the kind words. I am actually not trying to sell anything. Just writing my impressions and sharing my findings with my fellow audiophiles, music lovers,  etc. HeadMania is my hobby, not my job :D

Sep 14, 2016 at 7:42 AM Post #22,679 of 42,765
I just got a Mojo to pair with MrSpeakers Ether. So far, the setup is a real step up from my previous headphone rigs, with one slight catch: I'm getting occasional crackles and pops when using the Mojo with my Mac Mini. The setup is as follows:

Computer: Mac Mini
Software: Squeezelite streaming from Logitech Media Server (same computer)
Headphone: Ether

I have resampling turned off in squeezelite. I don't think the crackles and pops are from EMI since I don't get them when using the Mojo with my iPhone or iPad and the Apple Camera Connection Kit. Has anyone tried such a setup and encountered the same issue?

I do notice that there are fewer crackles and pops if I set the sampling rate in the OS X Audio MIDI Setup to a lower value (say, 192k or 96k).

Sep 14, 2016 at 9:18 AM Post #22,680 of 42,765
  Fellow Mojo aficionados, i could use your advice.  Here's the story....

After lurking on this thread a while and consuming the troves of raving reviews, i pick up a Mojo to pair up with my SE846. Thanks to tips on this site, i turn to Amazon.co.uk for the $140 savings presented by Brexit.  Gadget arrives three weeks and sonic bliss presents but for one catch (of course, there's a catch); cellular interference from my iPhone! Airplane mode is not an option for me (streaming spotify), and i don't care to invest in a DAP, so,with a sigh, back to Amazon.co.uk it goes.  Repackaged and at the UPS store - now comes the surprise.  Return shipping is over $100.  Wait....what?  It only cost 
GBP 9.95 to get here.  Apparently it is a lot cheaper to ship TO the US than out.  And Amazon will reimburse up to ~$10.  Next option - USPS - $48 with tracking.  ​

Then it occurs to me.  Can a fellow head-fier benefit from my predicament?   With only a few posts to my name and never having sold (or purchased) on the forum, I have no repute to speak of.  Will anyone be interested?  Still have a week to return and just looking to minimize loss.  Thoughts?  ​

Nash​

Have you read the #3rd post?

If there is no definitive solution there, I would suggest try a shielded cable. Otherwise I have no idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back