Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Nov 16, 2015 at 5:59 PM Post #5,221 of 42,765

Thanks - I was able to see that as I switched max frequencies in the Midi app, the Mojo power button switched color to the frequency I input - so if max was 192K, it stayed that color - no matter if I played a 16/44 song - so it stays static - doesn't show the actual frequency playing - does it upscale? Does it downscale? The button turned red when I set the frequency to 44hz - green at 96hz, but I could play a 192hz song through it....

If you are using iTunes, it does not upscale or downscale with any decent interpolation engine. It just copies more data or throws data out to fit the sampling rate that you set. Bitpefect, Audirvana, Fidelia, and other premium players have more advanced scaling engines like iZotrope plus dithering (16 to 24 bit). These players can also change sampling rates on the fly to fit the original sampling rate of your tracks. Now to avoid another lengthy debate and to stay on topic, I won't comment on whether any of this makes a difference in SQ.

Forgot to mention Audirvana and Fidelia support AU plugins that give you a huge range of EQ options.

Nov 16, 2015 at 6:21 PM Post #5,222 of 42,765
I guess I'm one of those who prefer harmonic distortion and euphonic presentation to help me feel the music and not just hear it. In the end, it's about enjoyment. No apologies.

Jazz wrote: "Feel free to listen to music the way you like best. I'm just explaining what's happening if you add an amp to the Mojo – which is a capable amp itself. You use it as a (highly unflexible) effect device, which it isn't designed for. There are better, more powerful methods for tayloring the sound to your own preferences, without the loss of transparency and purity, if you just dare to take notice of them."

DG Response: With respect, you're explaining what you think is happening if you add an amp to the Mojo.  Do you design audio electronics professionally?

I understand that Rob and John feel the Mojo can drive virtually any headphone adequately, which would be great. In practice, it will be up to the listener to determine whether the Mojo sounds best with their setup on its own or with an amp.
I will say that I totally respect the design philosophy that says "we have taken this approach and believe this is the best way" and the passion and engineering behind it. I will always go for this over the "designed by committee to be unoffending and the 80% solution" because it will give you the single malt rather than the blend. Your job to determine if it's right for you and your system. From a product perspective, I want the ultimate expression of the designers' views. But, that doesn't mean my implementation will be the same as the designers' in all cases.

Jazz wrote: "Not even the designer forbids the use of an additional amp – he just explains the consequences for the music signal and the sound in technical terms. It's up to you if you can or want to live with the reduced transparency and added coloration. Just don't pretend for driving Headphone XY to its full potential the Mojo needs an external amp as an absolute truth! From a technical point of view it's the opposite"

DG Response: Could you elaborate on those technical terms, this thread's so big I missed them.

I appreciate the principle of keeping the signal path as simple and clean as possible,.. but you are wrong. Most headphone and virtually all speakers need amplification. The design and quality of components determine how an amplifier will affect the sound.

Jazz wrote: "Of course all sound transducers need an amplifier. The Mojo comes with one – it's just not a dedicated headphone amplifier like you're used to. In fact it's even better than most of them – from the technical data."

DG Response: Could you provide a quantitative comparative example please.

People often select amplifiers for a particular coloration... but it's also possible to build amplifiers which are pretty close to wire with gain.

Jazz wrote: So show me some neutral amplifiers! This pretension is just hot air, absolutely unsubstantiated. I'm sure many Head-Fiers have experienced themselves how different the different amps sound (despite the fact that they all sound the same according to the Sound Science Forum). And a few of them are considered neutral? I would accept the characterization «passably neutral», but that still wouldn't exclude very noticeable signal degradation. Rob Watts' experiences have revealed to him how every single electronics component (resistors, capacitors, wires, solder joints, connections, transistors...) degrades or colors the signal, so extrapolate that to a box full of electronics components like a headphone amp.

DG Response: But didn't you say in your first response "There are better, more powerful methods for tayloring the sound to your own preferences, without the loss of transparency and purity, if you just dare to take notice of them."  Either ANY amp is coloured or it's not?

If source direct is always best, why was there a popularisation of headphone amplifiers in the first place (when you could just as easily use the jack in the CDP, speaker amplifier, or MP3 player)?

Jazz wrote: You can absolutely use those headphone jacks, some of them probably aren't even bad, but they are certainly not designed for audiophile demands (with exceptions). Therefore the use of dedicated headphone amps among demanding music lovers. If you attach them to those devices via line out, you bypass their own headphone amps. Mojo and Hugo on the other hand use the amplification stage of the DAC to drive headphones, so there's no possibility to bypass it, hence you'd use the same signal for driving an external amp that you'd use for driving headphones. So there's nothing to gain in terms of signal accuracy. Fortunately this built-in amplification stage is of very high quality, has extremely low distortion (much lower than typical headphone amps) and an exemplarily low output impedance.

DG Response: Actually the Naim DAC V1 also does this.  It uses its output stage for both headphone use and to drive an external power amp.  The DAC V1 is ostensibly a digital pre-amp and makes use of variable gain to power the headphone socket.

Nov 16, 2015 at 6:22 PM Post #5,223 of 42,765
Sounds like the same issue I sent the tour unit back to Chord for. They fixed it rapidly and sent the same unit back. You shouldn't hear any shhhhhh whith nothing connected. I'd contact your reseller. Same for @Ivabign. When the repaired unit came back it was silent with all inputs as well as with nothing connected, as it should be. Chord has said a few times on this thread that they'll take care of the ones that slipped through before the issue was discovered.

Thanks for the helpful information. I've just contacted my local shop where I bought my Mojo.

I guess I never noticed the issue since I was always using it as a USB DAC.
I hope the fix is quick because I thoroughly enjoy listening to music through the Mojo.

Nov 16, 2015 at 7:27 PM Post #5,224 of 42,765
ONE RING (cable) TO RULE THEM ALL

For all Apple iDevice owners using the Chord Mojo, I just received this silver interconnect from Konstantin at Lavricable. I am using an iPod Touch 6th generation (also tested it with an iPhone 6) running iOS 9.1 and it works flawlessly with iTunes, TuneShell and Onkyo HiFi Player apps.

I do not want to start a cable war discussion but I also honestly believe in a material sonic improvement using this interconnect (especially in the clarity) from using Apple's CCK connection. My cost including shipping for the cable was $100. For a pure silver interconnect that is very reasonable price compared to even standard interconnects.

If anyone is interested Konstantin's email is lavricables@gmail.com. It took only a week to get the cable from Latvia to the United States. Further I speak from experience that Konstantin is both honest and a pleasure to deal with via email.

Nov 16, 2015 at 7:35 PM Post #5,225 of 42,765

For all Apple iDevice owners using the Chord Mojo, I just received this silver interconnect from Konstantin at Lavricable. I am using an iPod Touch 6th generation (also tested it with an iPhone 6) running iOS 9.1 and it works flawlessly with iTunes, TuneShell and Onkyo HiFi Player apps.

I do not want to start a cable war discussion but I also honestly believe in a material sonic improvement using this interconnect (especially in the clarity) from using Apple's CCK connection. My cost including shipping for the cable was $100. For a pure silver interconnect that is very reasonable price compared to even standard interconnects.

If anyone is interested Konstantin's email is lavricables@gmail.com. It took only a week to get the cable from Latvia to the United States. Further I speak from experience that Konstantin is both honest and a pleasure to deal with via email.

Is this a CCK replacement, or in addition to?

Nov 16, 2015 at 7:38 PM Post #5,226 of 42,765
Nov 16, 2015 at 7:45 PM Post #5,228 of 42,765
Replacement.

Thanks! Wow! Is this the first one, or are there others? I've been trying to find one for ages!

Replacement. One cable no CCK.

It is the only one currently. Fiio is still awaiting MFI certification from Apple for its L19 cable. A shop in Singapore now says sometime in December however it was supposed to be released in October, so who knows.

Nov 16, 2015 at 8:31 PM Post #5,229 of 42,765
Replacement. One cable no CCK.

It is the only one currently. Fiio is still awaiting MFI certification from Apple for its L19 cable. A shop in Singapore now says sometime in December however it was supposed to be released in October, so who knows.

Sounds cool. But to be clear this cable is not officially "certified" by Apple and in theory they could mess with the SW to cause it issues? I'd be up for the risk personally but want to make sure people know the whole story. Cheers

Nov 16, 2015 at 8:34 PM Post #5,230 of 42,765
Sounds cool. But to be clear this cable is not officially "certified" by Apple and in theory they could mess with the SW to cause it issues? I'd be up for the risk personally but want to make sure people know the whole story. Cheers

Absolutely right. For me since this is for my iPod Touch, if later updates to iOS squash the compatibility, I will simply not update my iPod. I plan on testing any update on my iPhone first.

Nov 16, 2015 at 10:28 PM Post #5,231 of 42,765
I was thinking of trying to connect my kef ls50 directly to the chord using a 3.5mm to a speaker connectors. It will cost not much to make a custom cable using canares etc. but at maximum output form the mojo what's the wattage? 5 watts? I am assuming 5 watts as it outputs 5 volts at max output?

Nov 16, 2015 at 10:45 PM Post #5,233 of 42,765

There are a few which I showed earlier in this thread and use that are a little cheaper. However I am not able to player dsd over PoM on iOS 9.1. It works on iOS 9. Even via my cck kit I am still unable to play dsd direct on 9.1. Could you try or do you have any dsd to see if it works on this cable?

It's sad that the fiio l19 cable is delayed yet again. There are units shipping and available in Korea.....

Nov 16, 2015 at 10:50 PM Post #5,234 of 42,765
There are a few which I showed earlier in this thread and use that are a little cheaper. However I am not able to player dsd over PoM on iOS 9.1. It works on iOS 9. Even via my cck kit I am still unable to play dsd direct on 9.1. Could you try or do you have any dsd to see if it works on this cable?

It's sad that the fiio l19 cable is delayed yet again. There are units shipping and available in Korea.....

I would be happy to do so but the highest resolution for my genre of music, progressive, is 24/192 so that is the highest I was able to test.

Nov 17, 2015 at 12:11 AM Post #5,235 of 42,765
@JaZZ and @griff2, this is a great discussion, and I'd like to hear more of it, as well as more sonic impressions. I think the theoretical helps to make sense of what we hear, but the hearing is the end game. While the absolute sound (yes, long time TAS subscriber here) has a valid place for those who mostly listen to classical or I amplified performances, the vast majority of us 'out of the time are listening to produced music that has biases and choices made in the production that may not align with our preferences. I should still be able to enjoy that. My choice to do it via equalization or equipment synergy/pairing. I do encourage all the theory and technical discussion, and one can talk all day about how technically great a beer Budweiser is (which it is), but give me an interesting home brew or Belgian any day over that. I'll use the Bud as a reference point, but not a staple or for most of my enjoyment.

Now, not having received my Mojo yet, nor my Liquid Carbon, I would like to hear more impressions of the Mojo alone, with the LC (I believe that will be a popular pairing), and with other amps...and lots of headphones. Then, I can try myself and know what to focus on and will pick what provides the most enjoyment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back