Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Nov 6, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #4,172 of 42,765
I'm sure you've tried different IEM cables. Did you not notice more brightness (or more mids, for example) with different cables?

I tried three or four different cables with my Earsonics Velvets - just to see if it made a difference. I found one that did and then found an even better one that sounded better on day one and still sounds better four months later (I've A/B'd with the stock cable to make sure!). In fact I've walked away from buying new high end IEMs because they didn't sound as good as the Velvets with the cable upgrade (YMMV of course, but I'm sure the same would apply with Nobles etc etc).

The one that surprised me the most was swapping my usual Apple CCK + mini USB to USB interconnects (one from ALO and one from Moon Audio) for an all-in-one Lavricables interconnect (which does away with the need for the Apple CCK). The SQ difference was noticeable, and underlined my belief that the Apple CCK is the weak link, even if you have a TOTL interconnect from the CCK to the DAC/amp or amp. It cleaned up the signal a lot, and the brightness of the silver interconnect was much better than the Apple CCK + whatever.

Too bad since iOS 9.1 the Lavricables solution no longer works. I spoke with Konstantin and he confirmed it and he set me one to test that arrived today and unfortunately it does not work.

Nov 6, 2015 at 12:03 PM Post #4,173 of 42,765
I think the price is meant as a deterrent because he has none in stock. The item description does state that the price isn't the real one.

The actual price is $100 shipped worldwide. Not too bad for a good quality cable which serves as an all in one solution (it has the CCK built in).

As I posted above, unfortunately that cable no longer works. The iOS 9.1 update eliminated it.

Nov 6, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #4,177 of 42,765
did you receive i
I believe X3ii is similar to my X5ii which uses 4 pole 3.5mm jack. This is the newer FiiO design which squeezes both analogue and digital out into one port. So for digital out you will need a 4 pole jack to a mono for Mojo. Here is what I made myself. On the 4 pole only 2 poles (ground and mic/video poles) are used.

Or if you do not mind using adapters, you can use FiiO adapter to a female RCA on the X3ii, meanwhile on Mojo use a 3.5mm mono to female RCA adapter plug. Finally connect both with a regular RCA-ended digital cable. Voila!

thanks, i have a member who has offered to help me out with a cable at low cost! sounds v promising.

Nov 6, 2015 at 12:45 PM Post #4,178 of 42,765
Mython,

If you haven't already, I suggest you make a section on page one in your explanatory post that explains which cables will work with which phones and keep it updated for the new phones arriving on te market next year: HTC ONE M10, Samsung S7, Xperia z5, etc.

Nov 6, 2015 at 12:45 PM Post #4,179 of 42,765
  I will be receiving the Mojo today! cant wait to see what all the hype is about
beerchug.gif

did you get her yet? 

mine is due on monday. I have to endure the weekend sans Mojo! argh!! 

Nov 6, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #4,180 of 42,765
If that's the case my iPod is going back to the shop. I'm on the waiting list for that cable and I bought the iPod to be used as a transport. Very disappointing.

Tony, never give up as this is Head-Fi, the home of the work around. There is a one cable solution. Just connect the Apple Camera connector (CCK) to a USB A to Micro B adapter as shown in the picture.

Nov 6, 2015 at 1:10 PM Post #4,182 of 42,765
Quote:
The Mojo I would describe as similar to the Hugo but a tad warmer. I would say it's still on the analytical side of neutral. It has a kind of intimate sound to it than the Hugo but it isn't as resolving. The Hugo is more spacious, better detailed and better in every way. This isn't s bad thing as its 4 times the price.

Compared to the Dragonfly 1.2 they are a similar sound with the DF being on the warmer side. Both have s detailed sound but the DF is a bit more musical and run sounding where the Mojo is s bit more analytical. I wouldn't say one is better than the other and they are both pretty much equal. I don't know if thei makes the Mojo overpriced or the Dragonfly amazing value. The Mojo has more functionality so this could be s deal breaker.

Yesterday spent a few hours comparing the Mojo, Hugo, and a HiFi-M8.  The HiFi-M8 was in the mix because it is the unit that I am considering decided to replace. I think there is a larger gap between the Mojo and the DF 1.2. My short summary would be that the HiFi-M8 (and every other portable DAC I have listened to including the Meridian Explorer, DF 1.2 and the IFI Micro)  is a step behind the Mojo when driving a pair of HD800. I hear the differences when even casually listening.  Based on reviews I have read the only portable DACs which might be in the same price/performance league of the Mojo would be the Geek Out V2 which I will be comparing to the Mojo in the next week or two.

I found that I preferred the Hugo to the Mojo when it comes to SQ.  When casually listening I noticed there were differences  but I wouldn't have been able to tell you what the differences were.  When critically listening I would say the Hugo was more spacious, better detail, and slightly more neutral tonal balance.

I would characterize the Mojo as 90% of the Hugo SQ at 1/4 the price in a much more attractive package. I think you would be hard pressed to find a desktop or portable, separate DAC/amp or integrated unit which would sound better than the Mojo for less money. The Hugo is hugely overpriced unless you needed everything it provides or you need the very best sound quality in a portable package.

As a reference point, 1.5 years ago I considered purchasing a Hugo as a second desktop DAC (and I would use it as a portable unit as a bonus).  I wrote on my experience comparing the Hugo with a Lavry DA-11, GS-X mk2, and HD800. At the time I decided that the Hugo's ROI didn't make sense for me.  There are several DACs I preferred to the Hugo at a <$2500  price point, and that the amplifier in the Hugo while good, it didn't compare to my desktop amplifier.

Nov 6, 2015 at 1:17 PM Post #4,183 of 42,765
did you receive i
thanks, i have a member who has offered to help me out with a cable at low cost! sounds v promising.

Do use 75ohm coaxial cable which I understand is the preferred standard as it's shielded with an outer braid to cut down interference in digital transmission.

Nov 6, 2015 at 1:27 PM Post #4,184 of 42,765
The Mojo manual recommends a least a 1 Amp charger. Can you charge the Mojo with a 2 Amp iPod charger (apart from the cable of course)? Or is 1 Amp the maximum? Sorry, I'm not a physicist or an electrian.... So I have no clue.

Nov 6, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #4,185 of 42,765
Now I have a 0.75m AudioQuest Forest MiniPlug-to-Toslink at my AK240. Now 176.4 kHz is working 192 kHz still not - the Mojo Power-Ball is flickering and I only hear crackling not nice at IEMs. Somebody told me here he has no problems between AK and Mojo with the same cable. Any ideas?

send with LG G4

Users who are viewing this thread

Back