Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Nov 6, 2015 at 10:12 AM Post #4,143 of 42,765
actually as someone who does development, the idea of cables affecting sound significantly is alittle weird since the only reason the sound will change is unless a lot of bits are lost or corrupted. Audio is technically a stream so I'm guessing there's no garuntee of data integrity but seriously most cables will probably lose very little bits. When have we last use a cable that always corrupts the file when transferring data. A perfect cable will have no data lost but that's still subjected to the connector and device hmm. I'm sure a perfect cable and cheap one does have a difference but probably in very minute details.

But hey we are in this hobby, every little bit to perfection counts as long as you can afford it and there's a difference to you.

Nov 6, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #4,144 of 42,765
actually as someone who does development, the idea of cables affecting sound significantly is alittle weird since the only reason the sound will change is unless a lot of bits are lost or corrupted. Audio is technically a stream so I'm guessing there's no garuntee of data integrity but seriously most cables will probably lose very little bits. When have we last use a cable that always corrupts the file when transferring data. A perfect cable will have no data lost but that's still subjected to the connector and device hmm. I'm sure a perfect cable and cheap one does have a difference but probably in very minute details.

But hey we are in this hobby, every little bit to perfection counts as long as you can afford it and there's a difference to you.

I've certainly played around with plenty of analogue cables in the past and remember ditching a £300 Chord Company cable for a Rega Couple that was £90 and sounded significantly better. Also had a custom made silver cable from a guy on a forum who did a money back guarantee and the thing was so bright and harsh it had to go back, very well made just sounded awful. Digital on the other hand i've struggled to notice any difference over many years.

Nov 6, 2015 at 10:28 AM Post #4,145 of 42,765

I'm sure you've tried different IEM cables. Did you not notice more brightness (or more mids, for example) with different cables?

I tried three or four different cables with my Earsonics Velvets - just to see if it made a difference. I found one that did and then found an even better one that sounded better on day one and still sounds better four months later (I've A/B'd with the stock cable to make sure!). In fact I've walked away from buying new high end IEMs because they didn't sound as good as the Velvets with the cable upgrade (YMMV of course, but I'm sure the same would apply with Nobles etc etc).

The one that surprised me the most was swapping my usual Apple CCK + mini USB to USB interconnects (one from ALO and one from Moon Audio) for an all-in-one Lavricables interconnect (which does away with the need for the Apple CCK). The SQ difference was noticeable, and underlined my belief that the Apple CCK is the weak link, even if you have a TOTL interconnect from the CCK to the DAC/amp or amp. It cleaned up the signal a lot, and the brightness of the silver interconnect was much better than the Apple CCK + whatever.

Nov 6, 2015 at 10:28 AM Post #4,146 of 42,765
Does anyone know if the headphone socket on the new Macbook MJY42B/A also outputs a digital signal like the Macbook Pro ? In this case Google is not my friend, can't find a definitive answer anywhere. Might have to make a trip to the Applestore armed with a Mojo.

Nov 6, 2015 at 10:29 AM Post #4,147 of 42,765
Yeah analog has way more variable so a proper cable is more important there. Digital has a lot more tolerance to fault by design. However a good cable is still a good cable, its possible to reduce chance of corruption and missing bits. So the gain in having a better cable for digital is probably still there just smaller.

Nov 6, 2015 at 10:32 AM Post #4,148 of 42,765
  Does anyone know if the headphone socket on the new Macbook MJY42B/A also outputs a digital signal like the Macbook Pro ? In this case Google is not my friend, can't find a definitive answer anywhere. Might have to make a trip to the Applestore armed with a Mojo.

Look on the manufacturers website.
happy_face1.gif
 If the information is not there, email them.

Nov 6, 2015 at 10:33 AM Post #4,149 of 42,765
I'm sure you've tried different IEM cables. Did you not notice more brightness (or more mids, for example) with different cables?

I tried three or four different cables with my Earsonics Velvets - just to see if it made a difference. I found one that did and then found an even better one that sounded better on day one and still sounds better four months later (I've A/B'd with the stock cable to make sure!). In fact I've walked away from buying new high end IEMs because they didn't sound as good as the Velvets with the cable upgrade (YMMV of course, but I'm sure the same would apply with Nobles etc etc).

The one that surprised me the most was swapping my usual Apple CCK + mini USB to USB interconnects (one from ALO and one from Moon Audio) for an all-in-one Lavricables interconnect (which does away with the need for the Apple CCK). The SQ difference was noticeable, and underlined my belief that the Apple CCK is the weak link, even if you have a TOTL interconnect from the CCK to the DAC/amp or amp. It cleaned up the signal a lot, and the brightness of the silver interconnect was much better than the Apple CCK + whatever.

Is that the £690 one on their ebay store ? Please tell me in all seriousness it's a typo and should be £69.

Nov 6, 2015 at 10:35 AM Post #4,151 of 42,765
  Yeah analog has way more variable so a proper cable is more important there. Digital has a lot more tolerance to fault by design. However a good cable is still a good cable, its possible to reduce chance of corruption and missing bits. So the gain in having a better cable for digital is probably still there just smaller.

I think I would probably pay up to £20 for a well built OTG cable

Nov 6, 2015 at 10:35 AM Post #4,152 of 42,765

I say take the Mojo to an Apple store.

Not so you can find out about the Macbook socket, but just so you can make the Apple nerds jealous that their mass-produced bling gadgets don't sound anywhere near as good as a quirky aluminium chunk from a small company in Kent...   Who knows... you might even win Chord a few more fans, in doing so...
rolleyes.gif

Nov 6, 2015 at 10:37 AM Post #4,153 of 42,765
  I think I would probably pay up to £20 for a well built OTG cable

Im actually willing to go up to $100 if i get to choose my length and connector type with good build. I may not believe so much in sonic improvement but I definitely a sucker for well built and customized products.

Nov 6, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #4,154 of 42,765
Is that the £690 one on their ebay store ? Please tell me in all seriousness it's a typo and should be £69.

Haha if its the Lavricables one then it's a typo! Definitely without the extra zero!
I have no affiliation by the way. In fact, I had a problem with one but I think it was my iPhone rather than the cable. And the SQ when it worked my really good.

Nov 6, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #4,155 of 42,765

Users who are viewing this thread

Back