Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Nov 6, 2015 at 8:37 AM Post #4,111 of 42,765

Yes it is and fully immune to jitter too! John F.

Thank you for your reply. I just noticed something about the Chord Mojo and the Hugo.

Do they play FLAC files ripped from CDs, and MP3 files? The Mojo manual says for the USB input, "1 x micro USB capable of 44KHz to 768KHz". (I think that should say 44.1KHz actually.) 

Please anyone else chime in.

Yes, FLAC, WAV, PCM, MP3, etc. are decoded by the transport hardware (generally a cellphone or DAP, in this instance) and then sent over the digital connection to the Mojo, which will play the decoded stream very happily.

Nov 6, 2015 at 8:38 AM Post #4,112 of 42,765
Too much thinking going on regarding whether or not it's justified to spend so much ££$$ on audio equipment, there's a very simple 3 element formula that works every time for men.

No smoking, no drinking, a woman with own job and bank account = nice cars, cameras & audio equipment 
wink_face.gif

Nov 6, 2015 at 8:40 AM Post #4,113 of 42,765
First 2 are easy. Now for the last one...

Nov 6, 2015 at 8:40 AM Post #4,114 of 42,765
I have AC4 and AC30, plus Prima Luna Prologue 2 and too many Quad IIs!!

Life's too short to listen to transistors! Only SS guitar amp I can stand is the Roland JC120. The best amp for electric 12 strings

A musician after my own heart. For my electric guitars, I have a Jackson Ampworks Newcastle 30 amp, and Vox Night Train and Orange Tiny Terror lunchbox amps, and they beat tranny amps for me. But for my electro acoustics, I have an ACUS One 8 with no valves at all, and it manages to put out a really good acoustic sound (I.e doesn't sound like a piezo pickup amplified). It's beautifully clear.

Horses for courses.

Nov 6, 2015 at 8:42 AM Post #4,116 of 42,765
Any particular OTG cable recommendations for connecting the Mojo to a Note 4 phone? Thank you.

This is perfect fit mobile phones. Good quality too

http://m.ebay.com/itm/301669713346?_mwBanner=1

Nov 6, 2015 at 8:48 AM Post #4,117 of 42,765

Yes, FLAC, WAV, PCM, MP3, etc. are decoded by the transport hardware (generally a cellphone or DAP, in this instance) and then sent over the digital connection to the Mojo, which will play the decoded stream very happily.

Thank you. I was having a panic. I have a newly delivered Mojo sat four feet away unopened.

@psikey Thanks, I was looking long and hard at the Sony ZX1. I am thinking now just take the A15 with its unrivalled battery life and use the Mojo.

(NB My Meridian Explorer new, I could only just tell it was better that my half-good PC on-board audio. I listened A-B testing for ages. I came back to A-B testing after I had the ME for ages and it was considerably better than PC-audio.)

Nov 6, 2015 at 8:51 AM Post #4,119 of 42,765
I have a Ifi Micro Idsd and like it quite a bit but it is a major pain to use it on a plane .I use it as a portable dac and it slides 
all over the place. 
I was looking for something smaller to use with my iphone 6 + and Westone iem's and have placed an order for the Mojo 

It will be interesting to see if anyone has compared the two .Any impressions out there? 

I have no idea when I will be getting the Mojo,maybe mid November

Nov 6, 2015 at 8:57 AM Post #4,120 of 42,765

Thank you. I was having a panic. I have a newly delivered Mojo sat four feet away unopened.

@psikey Thanks, I was looking long and hard at the Sony ZX1. I am thinking now just take the A15 with its unrivalled battery life and use the Mojo.

(NB My Meridian Explorer new, I could only just tell it was better that my half-good PC on-board audio. I listened A-B testing for ages. I came back to A-B testing after I had the ME for ages and it was considerably better than PC-audio.)

If your not into streaming media (Tidal/Spotify) then any DAP that can link to the Mojo should be fine but absolute best sound is with DSD files sent natively to the Mojo (i.e not down-samples) so the Mojo shows white on the power marble (button).

The ZX1/ZX2 are great "all-in-one" solutions but for best audio quality without going over £500 then I don't think the Mojo can't be beat with a modern smartphone feeding it (or laptop with JRiver). I was astonished how much better DSD sounded compared to the ZX2 which sounded flat in comparison (as if down-sampling).

Nov 6, 2015 at 9:04 AM Post #4,121 of 42,765

If your not into streaming media (Tidal/Spotify) then any DAP that can link to the Mojo should be fine but absolute best sound is with DSD files sent natively to the Mojo (i.e not down-samples) so the Mojo shows white on the power marble (button).

The ZX1/ZX2 are great "all-in-one" solutions but for best audio quality without going over £500 then I don't think the Mojo can be beat with a modern smartphone feeding it (or laptop with JRiver). I was astonished how much better DSD sounded compared to the ZX2 which sounded flat in comparison (as if down-sampling).

I tried a Sony zx2 and while the audio quality was pretty good there were too many drawbacks so I returned it. 
Slow buggy interface, poor screen resolution,Tidal crashed sporadically,but the biggest factor was battery life was dismal .

Sony claims 33 hours or so and  I would get maybe 6 hours in airplane mode. Lots of other people had the same problems. 
I just don't trust Sony to honor battery warranties down the road so I returned it. 

Nov 6, 2015 at 9:08 AM Post #4,122 of 42,765

@psikey
 Thanks, I was looking long and hard at the Sony ZX1. I am thinking now just take the A15 with its unrivalled battery life and use the Mojo.

It was noted earlier that the A15 only have around 6hrs battery life if connected to Mojo

Nov 6, 2015 at 9:10 AM Post #4,123 of 42,765
Here you ar
Here you are-unscientifically(no offense meant just stating the fact)-saying there is a difference, even going so far as to rate which sources sounded best.

EXPERTS: Do sources matter? I've heard arguments from both sides and personally side with the more scientific arguments which have come from the "sources don't matter crowd". There *IS* an answer to this due to the functioning of the technology, so which is it?

I WANT it to not matter so I don't feel the need to buy anything else, however I want the truth more.

If anyone answers me, please refrain from "x had more bass extension" or "y sounds better", those are not scientific statements. I'm looking for answers based on the actual operation of the hardware inside the units, not what you hear.

Thanks

Your ears prefer sound to 1s and 0s. I prefer experiencing gravity to trying to explain it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back