Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Mar 22, 2016 at 2:26 PM Post #14,059 of 42,765
What is your source? Mojo with X2 using WASAPI and a quality USB cable did blow me away. :)

And Nighthawk and TH-X00 are on the way, but I really wonder what else can come. :)

What source.. im using my note 4 via usb otg using uapp as my player. flac and hd files.

Mar 22, 2016 at 2:35 PM Post #14,061 of 42,765

Thank you for this little piece of information. I will be sure to snap an epic picture of the Mojo chilling at Machu Picchu or in downtown Miraflores and maybe I'll get one at Sedona, AZ on my upcoming trip in a few weeks.

THIS. Okay I have another question, so if I buy an OTG cable such as the one of these listed here: http://www.amazon.com/Cable-SanDisk-Clip-Sport-Player/dp/B00WTVI4SS or this one http://www.amazon.com/LIFETIME-WARRANTY-Electronics-Micro-Cable/dp/B005GGBYJ4

Does that mean that if I want to connect my Chord MOJO to have DAC functionality with my Sansa Clip Sport I must use a Micro USB B cable - > USB A and then use the OTG cable to connect it to my Chord Mojo? If I just go line-out from the Sansa Clip to the Chord Mojo input then that would skip the DAC section?? I am placing an order soon and I don't want to make a careless mistake and buy the wrong cable.

I want something like this, but with my Sansa Clip Sport being used instead of an iPhone or Apple device:

Hi Wahsmoh, I don't think you can hook up the Sansa Clip Sport to the Mojo that way. Unfortunately, the Mojo only accepts digital inputs and the Sansa Clip Sport doesn't output via digital signals from the USB, the USB is only for charging and data transfer between the Clip and PC/MAC if I'm not mistaken.
You also can't line out from the Sansa to the Mojo to "skip" the DAC section because the Mojo isn't 1) your traditional DAC/Amp device and 2) line out is analog and Mojo only accepts digital

Mar 22, 2016 at 2:42 PM Post #14,062 of 42,765
  In my opinion nothing beats Mojo under $1000-1200. Neither portable, nor desktop.

iFi Micro is portable theoretically. In practice it is just too big for portable. Approximately 3 times bigger than Mojo.

Have you had a chance to compare the two?

Mar 22, 2016 at 2:58 PM Post #14,064 of 42,765
Guys, this is my perspective on the subjectivity of the Mojo.

1) Soundstage
Mojo has perceived smaller soundstage than other "detailed" systems and this works against it somewhat to certain individuals musical preference. Rob has mentioned that due to the nature of the perceived extra details that's being provided by the Mojo, the soundstage "shrinks" in terms of width but you gain depth and height. Therefore, for those individuals who are accustomed to the larger "picture", this can be "seen" as a minus point. This is of course my opinion on the matter.

2) Detail
Mojo as many owners and myself included profess has an amazing ability to eek out tremendous levels of detail. BUT this detail for certain individuals will seem like night and day from what they are upgrading from. Some users may not hear much difference or even at all. Some may feel that it's ok or worse. Rob mentions that this is due to perceived harmonics and distortion which some users have either gotten accustomed to or is their preferred sound signature. This detail to me, grows on you as you listen to it and it's something that the brain can "burn in". Of course YMMV.

3) Coloration and Amping
Mojo isn't without power. Mojo's output is also one of the cleanest the world has seen in the portable or even desktop stage at that price point and beyond. Then why add-on to the chain? More power? I feel it has to do with 2 things; individual sound preference and volume "control".
With regards to sound preference, I have made mentioned that the Mojo can be attributed to a great steak. It can be eaten as is which is the most ideal to ensure that you can enjoy the taste and flavour of the meat itself. Or you can choose to have it with mustard, ketchup or even soy sauce. This is up to the individual. Is it wrong? No, not to the person consuming the steak. Will others think it blasphemous? Possibly but it's still up to the individual consuming it. We each as individuals have our own preferences, so let's all get along.
Now the volume part is a little more tricky but I do feel that it may be down to "control" with a volume knob instead of buttons to control the volume which may give a better sense of control via a analog vs digital feel.
For me, at line level out to my audiolab pre-amp/power amp combo driving my Castle speakers, I can appreciate the more intimate control of the volume pot. I just need to dial down the output on the Mojo and adjust the volume accordingly on my pre-amp. But that's just my opinion based on my own experience on that matter. It could be something else entirely.

Thanks for reading this far and hope this helps those who find this helpful :D

Mar 22, 2016 at 2:59 PM Post #14,065 of 42,765
What source.. im using my note 4 via usb otg using uapp as my player. flac and hd files.

And Mojo with X2 didn't move you at all? What was your best audio experience then, if I may ask?

Have you had a chance to compare the two?

Not A/B comparison. I owned iFi Micro and Nano iCan. After selling them I bought Mojo.

Which Ifi Micro are u talking about? There are many Ifi products out there that are look similar. 

I owned Micro iCan and Nano iCan. I never heard Micro iDSD or iDAC, but I am aware of the differences on paper.

Mar 22, 2016 at 3:04 PM Post #14,066 of 42,765
Okay, so if my Sansa Clip Sport only has USB functionality of data transfer/charging.. what is the cheapest DAP that I can buy that outputs digital?? I don't plan on using my smartphone to store music so that is already counted out.

Mar 22, 2016 at 3:05 PM Post #14,067 of 42,765
  Okay, so if my Sansa Clip Sport only has USB functionality of data transfer/charging.. what is the cheapest DAP that I can buy that outputs digital?? I don't plan on using my smartphone to store music so that is already counted out.

That's true, sansa does not suppost usb audio out. Cheapest option? Anything that has digital coax out (Fiio line of daps are popular) or usb audio out (cheap android phone off ebay?)

Mar 22, 2016 at 3:09 PM Post #14,068 of 42,765
  That's true, sansa does not suppost usb audio out. Cheapest option? Anything that has digital coax out (Fiio line of daps are popular) or usb audio out (cheap android phone off ebay?)

Thanks Bavinck. Right as you replied I took a look at the Fiio X3 2nd gen. That should do it

Mar 22, 2016 at 3:12 PM Post #14,069 of 42,765
  Has anyone compared 2Qute to Mojo? Is it overkill to have both?

I started with Mojo plugged into my main system and thought it was very good, then bought the 2Qute as a permanent solution, I don't have to keep on charging up is one of the main things.

As to the sound the 2Qute is a definite step up in sound quality and I suggest you audition one yourself, I'm not very good at describing stuff being subjective and all that.

Mojo is staying waiting patiently for the SD module to be released, so I don't think overkill. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back