Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Mar 22, 2016 at 4:33 PM Post #14,086 of 42,765
Does neutron transmit bitperfect to mojo? Its loading all my cover art correctly which is a relief, if it can also transmit bit perfect i'll be sold. I noticed it has resampling perpetually on(unable to disable, you can only select between options) this makes me think it isnt bit perfect.

Im basically going through the app and turning off eveything I see that does something to the audio, like dithering, etc.

Pretty sure it does if you tell it to use it's own driver.

Mar 22, 2016 at 4:57 PM Post #14,087 of 42,765

.... is Astell and Kern the only DAP manufacturer that has an optical-out? I could see myself using the Chord Hugo with the optical at my desktop, but I'm wondering if there are other options for DAPs that have optical outputs ....

Questyle QP1/R

iBasso DX80 does, too, but it might not be the most 'bulletproof' option

It would be very wise of you to ask around the threads, thoroughly before buying any DAP, to check that  they will perform reliably over optical connection.

There are probably some other DAPs with optical-out, but the above are the only 2 that occur to me, at this moment

Also see:

www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-is-super-awesome/2940#post_12033270

Mar 22, 2016 at 5:12 PM Post #14,088 of 42,765
Mojo giveth, and Mojo taketh away. 

I have found the first that Mojo has now taken from me. 

I have long enjoyed Dylan's "Hard Rain" album (but not the video).  The voice works, the rousing fun versions work, but it was always a bit muddled, which you can see more on the video:  There are just too many guitarists, acoustic and electric, fighting for the spotlight. In trying to be heard over the electric, several acoustic guitars are off tempo!  

Listening with Mojo, via Tidal Hi Fi, this is pronounced and even clearer!  

it's really rough on the ears in spots.  

In the same time period, I jumped to Rolling Thunder Tour Bootleg Series (75), leaving Hard Rain (76), which, on the contrary, is even more beautiful with Mojo, allowing the banjo to break through, with perfect support clarity and definition. 

Mojo giveth; Mojo taketh away.  

Mar 22, 2016 at 5:40 PM Post #14,089 of 42,765

Mojo giveth; Mojo taketh away.  

And he said, “Naked I came from my mother’s womb, and naked shall I return. The Chord gave, and the Chord hath taken away; blessed be the name of Chord.” - Job Enthusiasts 1:21 
ksc75smile.gif

Mar 22, 2016 at 6:15 PM Post #14,090 of 42,765

You said in November that you thought the Bimby was warmer but the Mojo was clearer and more detailed, is that why?

The Bimby sounds warmer like a camera that is out of focus and the pictures is blurred in a pleasant smooth way. The Mojo on the other hand is clean, clear, and focused. But not in a bright unpleasant way. There is a degree of both musical layering and liveliness that engages your ear. 
Not to say the Bimby is not lively, that is what Schiit gear is known for, but it's blurry and out of focus lively if you know what i mean. As for the Dac 19, it has the same amount of focus and detail as the Mojo but it's more laid back, less lively and engaging. 

Mar 22, 2016 at 6:53 PM Post #14,091 of 42,765
http://www.head-fi.org/t/798562/portable-amp-dac-shootout-ifi-micro-idsd-vs-resonessence-concero-hp-vs-chord-mojo-vs-ifi-idac2-vs-hrt-microstreamer

This was a good read. Seems like the Concero HP vs. Mojo is a matter of preference and overall tonality. The Concero HP is no slouch either since it is an ESS Sabre DAC combined with the Xilinx Spartan6 FPGA for custom digital filtering. But comparing price, the Mojo is cheaper and comes in a smaller package so those are two things to consider. Also whether or not a person prefers the Sabre DAC w/ custom filter versus the Chord FPGA DAC thingy.

I have read that.. i own both and prefer the hp. The mojo has positives, but for me the concero has a raw edge to it which makes it shine that little bit more. Im gonna sit on both for a few more weeks and hopefully not pull all my hair out listening. :)

Mar 22, 2016 at 8:01 PM Post #14,092 of 42,765
I have read that.. i own both and prefer the hp. The mojo has positives, but for me the concero has a raw edge to it which makes it shine that little bit more. Im gonna sit on both for a few more weeks and hopefully not pull all my hair out listening.
smily_headphones1.gif

Is the Concero HP a Desktop DAC / Amp? I know the Mojo is for Portable so it has a battery.  

Also, besides the Concero HP, what other DAC / Amp for Desktop out there that is as good or almost as good as the Mojo? thx.

Mar 22, 2016 at 8:32 PM Post #14,093 of 42,765
Is the Concero HP a Desktop DAC / Amp? I know the Mojo is for Portable so it has a battery.  

Also, besides the Concero HP, what other DAC / Amp for Desktop out there that is as good or almost as good as the Mojo? thx.

If it's possible for you to audition gear, say at a local meet or store, I would recommend it. Mainly due to the fact that one man's meat may be another man's poison. Recommendations and comparisons can be made but may not be accurate to what your preferences are.
Chances are that if relying too much on outside opinion, there's the possibility to set ourselves up for disappointment. At least, thats how I feel when seeking direct comparisons or suggestions

Mar 22, 2016 at 8:36 PM Post #14,094 of 42,765
If it's possible for you to audition gear, say at a local meet or store, I would recommend it. Mainly due to the fact that one man's meat may be another man's poison. Recommendations and comparisons can be made but may not be accurate to what your preferences are.
Chances are that if relying too much on outside opinion, there's the possibility to set ourselves up for disappointment. At least, thats how I feel when seeking direct comparisons or suggestions

Well this is why we haev Head-Fi forums for right? I mean if I could go out and meet up then i wouldn't need to go to Head-Fi anymore 
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 22, 2016 at 9:00 PM Post #14,095 of 42,765

Well this is why we have Head-Fi forums for right? I mean if I could go out and meet up then i wouldn't need to go to Head-Fi anymore 
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh, really?

Then how do you explain threads like this?
tongue.gif

Mar 22, 2016 at 9:07 PM Post #14,096 of 42,765
I bought the Mojo the day they arrived at Stereo Exchange in NYC. The FPGA technology, Hugo, and Chord's other products made me confident in taking the risk to do so without even a demo.

I likely would not have appreciated its capability and value for the USD 600. Its ability kinda creeps up on you over time; so I listen to my reference tune everyday to compare experiences longitudinally as an experiment control. Steely Dan's "I Got the News."

Here goes, with my description, admittedly we are discussing subjective, personal views and vocabulary nuances.

1. "Detail" versus hearing more.
To me, detail, is often inferred as harshness, strict boundaries, or "bright", digititus, sibilant. Whereas, I experience more entire instruments, and the timbre and attack of acoustical ones which come out more in live studio or broadcast recordings. Apologies if I am not clear.

2. Photography metaphors for musical.
We speak of the golden hour when the sun is lower and light passive through more air, in contrast to summer sun when it is overhead. The former is not out-of-focus, rather it is more saturated in color, the visual frequency. This is how I describe the Mojo sound signature. It is pleasing and does not make you work when you want to focus on the music. I even enjoy listening to songs I have to date not particularly liked.

3. Chord, the Apple of head-fi Audio?
I think of how Apple designs the hardware (they used to make their own CPU chips IIRC) and the software to ensure it works in harmony as a whole; in contrast to the WinTel industry. It is that control over their DAC/AMP (I call I their "DAMP", as a wet or analog sound) that I bought into with the Mojo.

4. Amp
Glad to see their analog output is so clean as it can be enjoyed as a line-out sans the double-smiling effects. You get to enjoy its resolving ability and your own choice of amp signature.

Mar 22, 2016 at 9:54 PM Post #14,098 of 42,765
  What will be the difference between Moon Audio's Dragon cables (Silver or Black) to make the USB connection with the Mojo and CCK?

What are most folks using to connect their Mojo to an iPhone?

I'd guess very little difference if any. I'm using the stock USB cable that Chord included. 

Mar 22, 2016 at 10:01 PM Post #14,099 of 42,765
What will be the difference between Moon Audio's Dragon cables (Silver or Black) to make the USB connection with the Mojo and CCK?

What are most folks using to connect their Mojo to an iPhone?

I use Lavri cables pure silver all in one connection cable, sounds and works much better than cck and any other USB cable combo.
A great price too, considering what u get!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back