Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Mar 22, 2016 at 1:45 PM Post #14,041 of 42,765
The Mojo certainly isn't the end all be all of headphone amplifiers.. Are you trying to imply that there's no better amp? Because that is certainly not the case.

It does well as a portable for sure but going to a desktop amp will certainly improve the sound.

Chord even states in the instruction manual that the Mojo is designed as a portable.

What makes a desktop amp so special? More power? Ok, fine I agree. Then use Mojo like a line out for more power (probably not really needed for anything short of hard to drive planars) . What that tubes sound? Fine, LO Mojo to your tubes. Just be aware that Mojo is a beautifully clean source with lots of power, so adding an amp will not make it better, just different.

Mar 22, 2016 at 1:47 PM Post #14,042 of 42,765
Sorry Bavinck, we cannot conclude that he does not understand how the Mojo is designed, he could be an Electronics Whizz Kid for all we know. :blink:

He is not the first person to mention that he prefers the Mojo paired with a good amp.

I sure can assume that. As soon as someone starts talking about the dac and amp section of the Mojo as two discrete parts (like vapman did) I k of there is a fundamental misunderstanding of the design of the Mojo. Mojo does not have a dac/amp distinction. It's unique in the world of headphone audio.

Mar 22, 2016 at 1:49 PM Post #14,043 of 42,765
So I just hooked up my Mojo to my Samsung S7 Edge phone using the micro usb cable that came with the S7 edge that is using for charging the phone, but there's no sound coming out from the mojo? Do I need another cable?

Try reading through post 3. You need otg cable.

Mar 22, 2016 at 1:52 PM Post #14,045 of 42,765
Hey I'm just wonder, would you all recommend Moon Audio for purchasing the Chord Mojo? It says on their site they are in stock and ready to ship.

Approximately how long does it take with standard shipping to receive the Chord Mojo?

I just want mine as soon as possible and I'd hope to get it before April 5th when I leave for a trip to Arizona. I really don't need it until this summer when I'm leaving on a month-long trip to Peru with my girlfriend but I'm going to use this short vacation as my first test for portability.

Final question, is Astell and Kern the only DAP manufacturer that has an optical-out? I could see myself using the Chord Hugo with the optical at my desktop, but I'm wondering if there are other options for DAPs that have optical outputs cause I don't care for DSD recordings that much. If you have the answers thank you for your help.
When you get your Mojo and on your trip around Peru please take some "mojo on vacation " shots and post them here. I'd also like to encourage a few others here to do the same if it's a popular idea We at chord will give away a few of the new Chord Mojo cases when they become available in May to those posters of the most interesting places Mojo visits. John E. Franks

Mar 22, 2016 at 1:54 PM Post #14,047 of 42,765
What makes a desktop amp so special? More power? Ok, fine I agree. Then use Mojo like a line out for more power (probably not really needed for anything short of hard to drive planars) . What that tubes sound? Fine, LO Mojo to your tubes. Just be aware that Mojo is a beautifully clean source with lots of power, so adding an amp will not make it better, just different.

More power and dynamics. More able to drive hard to drive headphones.

Even if I wanted to use the Mojo in my desk system because i thought the DAC was better than my desktop dac (it isn't) I still would not because it's not designed to be used that way as a permanent solution. Chord even designed it so every time you power it off, the line out level cancels.

Mar 22, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #14,048 of 42,765
The Mojo certainly isn't the end all be all of headphone amplifiers.. Are you trying to imply that there's no better amp? Because that is certainly not the case.

It does well as a portable for sure but going to a desktop amp will certainly improve the sound.

Chord even states in the instruction manual that the Mojo is designed as a portable.

So, may i know what's your preference that can beat Mojo in $600 price range? desktop system i mean.

Because I will get the Mojo tomorrow, and i still can return it since Im not sure to use it as portable or just sit in front of my computer. (mostly listening in front of my computer)

Hence, no point for me to get a portable $600 if there are many other options (desktop am/dac) that can easily beat Mojo in that price range.

Really lack of exp about amp/dac... need help 

Mar 22, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #14,049 of 42,765
I did read through it, but it's a mess.  Need the infos to be organized better, not just a bunch of links of different posts.

Just because you cannot follow the organizational structure does not make it a "mess" . That is very insulting to the caretaker of this forum, whom I know goes to great pains to keep it up to date, useful and helpful.

Mar 22, 2016 at 1:57 PM Post #14,050 of 42,765
When you get your Mojo and on your trip around Peru please take some "mojo on vacation " shots and post them here. I'd also like to encourage a few others here to do the same if it's a popular idea We at chord will give away a few of the new Chord Mojo cases when they become available in May to those posters of the most interesting places Mojo visits. John E. Franks

Nice idea! Mojo selfies. I think the case should come before the visit to Peru,though. Mojo at Machu Pichu naked will not go down well...

Mar 22, 2016 at 1:57 PM Post #14,051 of 42,765
More power and dynamics. More able to drive hard to drive headphones.

Even if I wanted to use the Mojo in my desk system because it thought the DAC was better than my desktop dac (it isn't) I still would not because it's not designed to be used that way as a permanent solution. Chord even designed it so every time you power it off, the line out level cancels.

I think I am not being clear. Is the ifi micro portable, transportable or desktop? I have heard people call it all three. It has way more power than ever needed, dynamics are amazing, and runs on clean power.

Portable or desktop, it's just becoming semantics with the new gear coming out.

Mar 22, 2016 at 2:00 PM Post #14,052 of 42,765
I've used my X2s and DT150s with it. Havent been blown away since listening to the mojo. Something a bit more open would be cool.

What is your source? Mojo with X2 using WASAPI and a quality USB cable did blow me away. :)
And Nighthawk and TH-X00 are on the way, but I really wonder what else can come. :)

Mar 22, 2016 at 2:03 PM Post #14,053 of 42,765
  I feel that the constant reviews and praises for Mojo had set me up for disappointment.  I was coming off a well made and highly praised DAC so I felt like with the lofty expectations, Mojo had nowhere to go but down.  

It has replaced my desk top DAC, desk top Amp and portable DAC/amp.  It blew me away from the first listen, with its definition.  That I can discern more detail now than the many hours ago when I first got it, suggests to me that my brain is now processing the increase in data and it is more enjoyable today than it was on Day 1 when it gave me that "wow!" moment.  

It is interesting for me to follow others' experiences in the passing of time with the Mojo.  

I have Mojo for almost 3 months now. I can say, I am still blown away by its sound as I was on day one.

Mar 22, 2016 at 2:06 PM Post #14,054 of 42,765

Thank you for this little piece of information. I will be sure to snap an epic picture of the Mojo chilling at Machu Picchu or in downtown Miraflores and maybe I'll get one at Sedona, AZ on my upcoming trip in a few weeks.

Try reading through post 3. You need otg cable.

THIS. Okay I have another question, so if I buy an OTG cable such as the one of these listed here: http://www.amazon.com/Cable-SanDisk-Clip-Sport-Player/dp/B00WTVI4SS or this one http://www.amazon.com/LIFETIME-WARRANTY-Electronics-Micro-Cable/dp/B005GGBYJ4

Does that mean that if I want to connect my Chord MOJO to have DAC functionality with my Sansa Clip Sport I must use a Micro USB B cable - > USB A and then use the OTG cable to connect it to my Chord Mojo? If I just go line-out from the Sansa Clip to the Chord Mojo input then that would skip the DAC section?? I am placing an order soon and I don't want to make a careless mistake and buy the wrong cable.

I want something like this, but with my Sansa Clip Sport being used instead of an iPhone or Apple device:

Mar 22, 2016 at 2:09 PM Post #14,055 of 42,765
  So, may i know what's your preference that can beat Mojo in $600 price range? desktop system i mean.

Because I will get the Mojo tomorrow, and i still can return it since Im not sure to use it as portable or just sit in front of my computer. (mostly listening in front of my computer)

Hence, no point for me to get a portable $600 if there are many other options (desktop am/dac) that can easily beat Mojo in that price range.

Really lack of exp about amp/dac... need help 

In my opinion nothing beats Mojo under $1000-1200. Neither portable, nor desktop.

I think I am not being clear. Is the ifi micro portable, transportable or desktop? I have heard people call it all three. It has way more power than ever needed, dynamics are amazing, and runs on clean power.

Portable or desktop, it's just becoming semantics with the new gear coming out.

iFi Micro is portable theoretically. In practice it is just too big for portable. Approximately 3 times bigger than Mojo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back