Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Feb 2, 2016 at 9:51 PM Post #10,561 of 42,765
Am using, on occasion S5 Galaxy with my Mojo and the battery issue is bugging me, ie the fact that the phone runs down when listening.

I seem to remember seeing somewhere that one can purchase a USB cable for phones, etc, which has a 2nd connector allowing for charging whilst transferring data???? 

If anyone could point me in the right direction, it would be appreciated :)

Feb 2, 2016 at 9:53 PM Post #10,562 of 42,765
  Am using, on occasion S5 Galaxy with my Mojo and the battery issue is bugging me, ie the fact that the phone runs down when listening.

I seem to remember seeing somewhere that one can purchase a USB cable for phones, etc, which has a 2nd connector allowing for charging whilst transferring data???? 

If anyone could point me in the right direction, it would be appreciated :)

As the Mojo has 2 different USBs (one for charging and one for data input) I can't see how it's running down your phone?

Feb 2, 2016 at 10:01 PM Post #10,563 of 42,765

As the Mojo has 2 different USBs (one for charging and one for data input) I can't see how it's running down your phone?

the phone runs down itself, doesn't need the mojo to do it :) - whilst it's connected to the mojo, it's not charging, ergo it's running down.

am seeking a cable which allows the data transfer to proceed as normal (ie one usb plug would go into the OTG adapter) and which splits the power side of things to another usb plug-end so that i can charge the phone whilst it's plugged into the mojo. 

Feb 2, 2016 at 10:02 PM Post #10,564 of 42,765
  the phone runs down itself, doesn't need the mojo to do it :) - whilst it's connected to the mojo, it's not charging, ergo it's running down.

am seeking a cable which allows the data transfer to proceed as normal (ie one usb plug would go into the OTG adapter) and which splits the power side of things to another usb plug-end so that i can charge the phone whilst it's plugged into the mojo. 

Oh I see...then might I suggest an iPhone? 
tongue.gif

Feb 2, 2016 at 11:29 PM Post #10,572 of 42,765

I think i need something not that picky. but thanks for the suggestion.

I am thinking earbuds and now also earphones like the Audio Technica ATH-EQ300M but higher end

Go with the $5 VE Monk. I jest not.

I just ordered VE Monk + VE ZEN 2.0

Surely will compare $5 vs. $150

Feb 2, 2016 at 11:51 PM Post #10,573 of 42,765
With mojo I find myself listening to genres I would not otherwise listen to because it all sounds so good, my musical taste has expanded more since mojo than the previous years of my life.

Funny I found the same impressions listening to the Hugo. You get the motivation to start listening to music you never heard before instead of listening to your favorites list repeatedly. Chord should somehow market this because it's special and not many dacs can do this, regardless of price. (and I have heard quite of them). I think it's Robs line of sound signature. His dacs are just very distortion free and very well tuned.

Feb 2, 2016 at 11:55 PM Post #10,574 of 42,765
@Mython

John Franks lost me in that interview when he said the Mojo will stand up against £25,000 DACs. Then be better. He did say in terms of measurements though. I don't know if he was referring to sound quality so I watched on. It was a great interview. Especially the part where he revealed he had sold his house to Rob Watts, haha. I will be looking into 1960s jazz too. (Healthy looking 60 year old or what!)

With reference to burn-in, it is undeniable in transducer technology, like some headphones and loudspeakers. One example, my new speakers initially did not respond to tweaking an equaliser at 31Hz. They do now. They were very bass light when new. Grado headphones from the previous SR and SRi ranges I have owned from new. They made a clear-cut change from new out of the box. Nothing to do with what the brain does. I owned apair of ex-demo SR60. They were wonderful from day one. I gave them to a relative. I bought some new SR60 boxed, sealed, new, and they sounded terrible. Over time they developed the sound the first pair had. Exactly the same with a new pair of SR125i. Most of us concluded seventy hours was needed. The new Grado e-series is meant to fill out in the bass and improve tonally, and it did for me. Nothing to do with brain.

Personally I think the analogy of burn-in with 3D-pictures was not conclusive. Those dot pictures were about letting your eyes relax rather than working the eye muscles, before the image appeared. We do not have those functions in the ear. (Those pictures were not about training the brain to do anything.) Taking it as purely analagous though it presents a different question. The reason why we later hear stuff in music after buying a piece of audio kit is more simply explained. We are focussing on different parts of the same music at different times. (We do however adjust to new audio kit whatever kind of burn in you could call it. many of us like the improvement of new kit from day one, then admit they sound better later.)

It is hard though to try and figure out why audio kit appears to burn in. I have a theory but no idea how relevant. Mechanical items like cars need to be run-in. Also they run better at certain temperatures etc. Well electrons and currents moving, are mechanical operations. It is not unreasonable to think electronic components need time. Many are after all are tiny gates, or storage facilities, current (power) diversions, or chokes.

With reference to the Mojo, and initial impressions, I think I was right to give the advice I did. (Whether it be brain-burn-in or otherwise.) My very first impression of the Mojo was not favourable. I could hear all the extra detail, but it sounded harsh like throwing a pile of crockery and metal plates. There was too much detail and it sounded slightly hollow. [Please bear in mind I was coming from the Meridian Explorer. It is a smoother, softer, less detailed DAC than the Mojo.]

It was the extra detail that kept me listening, plus the wonderful stuff people say. The sound changed after about two days, then got smoother from then on. The Mojo has settled for me though it does seem to get smoother and more solid. I think the smooth sound is what other people call 'effortless'. (Anyway I guess I am in for a hard time over this post.) 

First paragraph (can't highlight because I'm on tablet). The Hugo atleast do hold its own against 40,000.00 systems to my ears. Hugo + Evolution Acoustics MicroOnes, Kimbre interconnects and Audioquest speaker cable setup held its own at audio shows I've been to. The 40,000.00 systems sounded different - can't say better but different,and the Hugo system also had its strong sound characters that held own against much higher costing audio setups.

Feb 3, 2016 at 12:22 AM Post #10,575 of 42,765
   I have 14 micro USB cables and none of them work. 

Make sure you're not using a charge-only cable. Devices that don't require data that come with them for charging often only have a charge-only cable, which is useless.

Should the volume of my dx80 when feeding mojo be at 0 or at max volume?

Doesn't make any difference if using the digital output. If it does, then it's a digital volume and it should be at maximum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back