Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jan 25, 2016 at 11:46 AM Post #9,961 of 42,765
Admittedly, I am not an electrical engineer...

Bit-perfect, "bits are bits", "ones-and-zeroes", as I understand are transmitted via electrical impulses (USB) or light impulses (optical). So, as I have read the arguments from those more knowledgeable than I..... many factors can influence the quality of that signal, and it is not a merger of "either it works or it does not" in a binary sense.

Radio interference, power cleanliness, and (as I have learned from our son studying lasers at Cornell) cable geometries particularly in the case of optical all have an impact upon the transmission of but-perfect data.

Whether one's ears are good enough to discern the differences in a separate and personal matter.

Again, I am not stating these hypotheses as factual, they just make sense to me.

Personally, having recently been hit with tinnitus, I have plenty of my own interference in my brain.

USB DAC data is not bit perfect by any stretch of imagination with most DACs. It tries to be bit perfect, but if it fails to be, it is not corrected at any point. Though again, there should not be any ground and sky differences.

[EDIT::: It seems that Mojo is different though] 

Jan 25, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #9,962 of 42,765

USB DAC data is not bit perfect by any stretch of imagination. It tries to be bit perfect, but if it fails to be, it is not corrected at any point. Though again, there should not be any ground and sky differences. 

That is not the case with Chord's windows drivers. If faulty data is sent through, then the DAC requests a repeat, and so ensures perfect data transfer.

It is possible with all other OS; but having said that, the data failure rate is very low (otherwise DoP would not work).

The USB connection making a difference to the sound is not data related - its down to RF and correlated noise (not jitter as this is completely removed too) - take a look at my previous posts if you are interested. 

Rob

Jan 25, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #9,963 of 42,765
  That is not the case with Chord's windows drivers. If faulty data is sent through, then the DAC requests a repeat, and so ensures perfect data transfer.

It is possible with all other OS; but having said that, the data failure rate is very low (otherwise DoP would not work).

The USB connection making a difference to the sound is not data related - its down to RF and correlated noise (not jitter as this is completely removed too) - take a look at my previous posts if you are interested. 

Rob

Wow!

Thanks. I will go to take a listen to Mojo, before deciding what path I will take, I found out where I can demo one in Bucharest. 

I was actually pretty interested in developing a driver for USB DACs tha would verify data streamed, thanks for doing that. 

It seems that my interest in mojo is sparked more and more.

Jan 25, 2016 at 2:25 PM Post #9,965 of 42,765
You do realise not everyone is in the U.S don't you ? In the UK it's £20 per month which is nearly 30$
smily_headphones1.gif

Very true on my 3rd trial with a 3rd email address
Like it as much as I do finding hard to justify £20 a month. Currently on my Crowd Funded Exchobox promotion which included 3 months free alas was too late to claim one of the 6 month free trials. 
Silly as it may sound may I may just give it a try for a little bit longer, but I must admit usually use Tidal mostly for finding new music. For the tracks I can't find on Tidal I seem to resort back to HD tracks etc. and 24 bit or DSD files.

Jan 25, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #9,966 of 42,765
SETUP B (Spotify Premium > Macbook Pro Late 2015 > Chord USB > Mojo > 1964 V6 Stage = Fun & Detai)

- Instrument details were much clearer. No effort needed to pin point every instruments
- Bass & lows hits less harder but > quantity versus setup above (noticeable in Lana Del Ray Young & Beautiful opening where there is a slow rumble)
- Vocal is more forward where instruments were more located "behind", "left" & "right" for the lack of better description.
- Entire spectrum is more dynamic & fun

To each his own obviously but for the life of me I do not understand why somebody would pay tons of money for DAC's and AMP's and Headphones etc and then listen to it on spotify and MP3's...I get it when a person is on the go and has a pair of inexpensive earbuds perhaps but for serious listening?....I have a spotify account that i use on my computer when I want to sample an album before buying it and just get an idea whether or not I like the style of music etc.....again,to each his own i guess

Jan 25, 2016 at 3:09 PM Post #9,967 of 42,765
  With the included micro usb cable it's loose at the Mojo side and loses connection with my phone if the cable is nudged slightly up or down, only a gentle nudge is required to make it lose connection.  

I connected a couple of other micro usb cables which seem a bit better and require more of a nudge to break the connection but it still happens. 

Not ideal if strapping it to my phone.  Is anybody else experiencing this? Do I have a defective unit?

I have the same issue with my Mojo. It was especially problematic with the Lavricable. (Konstantin was wonderful! He swapped out my cable after a few questions. He tried the original cable back on his Hugo, and it worked fine.)

Additionally, the usb data port is crooked (same as the image posted earlier). This could be an issue when the add-on modules are available.

I called my dealer (Moon-Audio) about replacing my unit. He sounded very skeptical that my Mojo was defective. He said a few have been returned to him for bad data connections, but he always found the problem was "with the cheap Japanese cables" not with the Mojo.

I had problems with 4 different usb cables, so I highly doubt all the cables were bad. Especially since the Lavricable tested fine!!

My unit is still in route to Moon-Audio, got caught up in the weekend blizzard, so I'm still waiting to hear from them after they receive my unit.

Jan 25, 2016 at 3:24 PM Post #9,968 of 42,765
Does anybody else have issues when nudging the micro cable up or down or is it only a minority?

Has anybody tried doing what I did in the video to find the connection isn't breaking and all is ok?

I've noticed a couple of my micro usb cables wobble and don't firmly lock on.

This is for both micro usb sockets (power and data)

This may prove problematic down the line..

Jan 25, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #9,969 of 42,765
Does anybody else have issues when nudging the micro cable up or down or is it only a minority?

Has anybody tried doing what I did in the video to find the connection isn't breaking and all is ok?

I've noticed a couple of my micro usb cables wobble and don't firmly lock on.

This is for both micro usb sockets (power and data)

This may prove problematic down the line..

No problems with mine and it was one of the early units.

Jan 25, 2016 at 4:03 PM Post #9,970 of 42,765
Wow, this thread is very active!

I'm considering upgrading to a Mojo from the Oppo HA-2 so I can drive more demanding headphones. The thing I love about the Oppo is that it works *flawlessly* with my Galaxy S4 that I use as an Android transport.

Does the Mojo mostly play nicely with newer Android devices as the Oppo does?

I just started using USB Audio Player Pro to stream Tidal.

I just don't want to upgrade if I'm going to have connectivity issues.

Thanks!

My combination of choice when using my ANdroid devices with Mojo

Works great with Tidal too and great support from the dev here

Jan 25, 2016 at 4:21 PM Post #9,971 of 42,765
I feel that mojo has a nice musical and at times emotional sound, I too rely my system around this, it's amazing, I just
Hope it lasts a few years? You guys think so?

Also.. What iems you using?

Currently Echobox Finder X1, a great pair of IEMS that have relegated my Shure SE535 (come to think of it my Grados and HD88's too) to the sub's bench.
Mojo and Finder X1 great combination

Users who are viewing this thread

Back