Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jan 16, 2016 at 11:35 AM Post #9,346 of 42,765
On the topic of earphone/headphone discussion i think the mojo thread is the right place.
If someone is going to make an investment of say £1000 on totl iems to use with the mojo and want opinions against other similar priced iems then the mojo thread should be the place as most of us posting own the mojo and some will have experience of the different iems/hp's.
The dedicated headphone threads don't always give such a balanced view due to different equipment etc etc.

Jan 16, 2016 at 12:05 PM Post #9,347 of 42,765
On the topic of earphone/headphone discussion i think the mojo thread is the right place.
If someone is going to make an investment of say £1000 on totl iems to use with the mojo and want opinions against other similar priced iems then the mojo thread should be the place as most of us posting own the mojo and some will have experience of the different iems/hp's.
The dedicated headphone threads don't always give such a balanced view due to different equipment etc etc.

I agree!

Sometimes, the headphone discussions are not really directed correctly. For example, people are searching for the best headphones for a certain sound, and they have a hard time finding them. It would be easier to ask on any thread than search countless specific threads, not to mention that some reviews are straight lies. (On the same note :Anyone read any review of PM2?)

I would be curious if there is anyone who already has a Fiio X7, but still uses Mojo with it? Mostly because I had a chance to hear X7, and it seems that it will be my next purchase if nothing better comes this way, and mojo is not coming to Romania from what I understood. 

Jan 16, 2016 at 12:25 PM Post #9,349 of 42,765

I agree!

Sometimes, the headphone discussions are not really directed correctly. For example, people are searching for the best headphones for a certain sound, and they have a hard time finding them. It would be easier to ask on any thread than search countless specific threads, not to mention that some reviews are straight lies. (On the same note :Anyone read any review of PM2?)

I would be curious if there is anyone who already has a Fiio X7, but still uses Mojo with it? Mostly because I had a chance to hear X7, and it seems that it will be my next purchase if nothing better comes this way, and mojo is not coming to Romania from what I understood. 

Have you contacted High End Audio Bucharest ?

Jan 16, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #9,350 of 42,765
Are you waiting for it to require the full 10 hour charge?

You got me choking now :). Funniest post in thread. And very on-topic.

Jan 16, 2016 at 12:28 PM Post #9,351 of 42,765
A POWERFUL AMP !

For those without the high-impedance headphones, and loving the detail, turning up the volume to get to all the layers and detail....

BE CAREFUL!

Those volume marbles' colors are seductive.
I turned-up the volume too high,
and
With the notorious DT 990-32s...

I MAY HAVE (not 100% certain) harmed my ears,

And am now suffering Timnitus at 9kHz frequency; been this way for a couple of weeks.

Still investigating with my physician.

Just be careful.

Jan 16, 2016 at 12:29 PM Post #9,352 of 42,765
You got me choking now :). Funniest post in thread. And very on-topic.

beerchug.gif

Jan 16, 2016 at 12:58 PM Post #9,354 of 42,765

They do not seem to have a show room, and they seem to specialize in strictly selling products, not advertising. Which is a pity, because AVstore will sell mojo, and for a good price too, but they will not get it in showroom (maybe in Romania there are not enough customers for such a product, or maybe Chord does not provide with a free demo sample because there were not enough customers for Hugo?) Still a pity, because I was curious in hearing a mojo before committing to Fiio X7.

Jan 16, 2016 at 5:22 PM Post #9,356 of 42,765
It's not really about agreeing or disagreeing with regards to power vs noise floor... That's just what it is.

As far as how much power is enough for optimal sound, I agree that a bit more power than will ever be needed is the best solution for any speaker... Full size, headphone, IEM, whatever... I believe all benefit from a small allowance over maximum requirement. What I am saying is that with many of these newer tiny mobile devices, there is a point where the power far exceeds what is realistically needed, and this impacts the refinement and noise floor of the device.

Let's say you had some full size B&W Nautilus speakers. Lucky you. But if you hooked them up to whatever amp NASA uses for the shuttle launch speakers, you'd get a polluted noise floor. You don't need to drive truck-sized speakers designed to count down a rocket launch with your home theatre amp, so at that point, the excess power is detrimental to your setup and the overall sound.

When I look at something the size of the Mojo, I don't see a whole lot of people plugging a set of LCD3s into it. Some will, sure. Probably to see if it can drive them, and they'll be impressed when it does. But realistically, that's a parlor trick. There are a plethora of other solutions available for difficult full-size cans.

Basically, I'm pointing out that most cans that are difficult to drive aren't usually used as mobile solutions, and the Mojo is clearly a mobile device. The power required to drive big difficult cans far, far exceeds even the most difficult IEMs by a wide margin. That's why you if you put that power into a sensitive IEM you get a polluted noise floor. But if you throw out the unnecessary ability to drive very difficult full-size cans, draw that power back to just a bit more power than the most difficult IEM will draw, you get improved refinement, a blacker noise floor, and still more power than you'll ever need, meaning whatever improvements the sound from your IEMs may require, it won't be for a lack of power.

In my estimation, this makes more sense for how something like the Mojo will most likely be really used.

Don't agree, sorry. I think you have greatly underestimated the amount of people who use the Mojo with full size heaphones, even difficult to drive ones, and not just with IEMs. For example, I know of three people personally who own the Mojo (including me.)  All are using them with either the LCD-X, LCD-3, HD800 and/or MrSpeakers Ether C (and also with IEMs occasionally.)  Why?  Because there is a need for people to move around and not sit at a desk or computer or big rig while listening to headphones. I use mine when sitting on the couch far from my big rig, I use it in bed before falling asleep, I use it in the garden area of my building and on the roof deck of an apartment building. I've use it on trains and planes (and not with IEMs.) The other users have similar needs.

It would be a big mistake for a manufacturer to produce a portable amp solely for use with IEMs. The potential sales universe is much larger than the IEM market.

Jan 16, 2016 at 5:41 PM Post #9,357 of 42,765
GreenBow, in no way did I try to publicly humiliate you. I honestly don't understand how you haven't listened to your unit yet. Amazon will take the unit back if you listen to it. You have shown so much interest and have contributed to help others, and pre-planned in the event that you may run in to any issues, but the point of acquiring the gear is for enjoyment. I only suggest that you open the package and enjoy it before moving on to a Hugo. That is unless you might prefer the Hugo size and slightly brighter tuning, but still, you should listen to your Mojo. How will you ever know which one you prefer...

Jan 16, 2016 at 5:42 PM Post #9,358 of 42,765
They do not seem to have a show room, and they seem to specialize in strictly selling products, not advertising. Which is a pity, because AVstore will sell mojo, and for a good price too, but they will not get it in showroom (maybe in Romania there are not enough customers for such a product, or maybe Chord does not provide with a free demo sample because there were not enough customers for Hugo?) Still a pity, because I was curious in hearing a mojo before committing to Fiio X7.
I'm pretty sure High End have stock in Rumania try phoning them!

Jan 16, 2016 at 6:02 PM Post #9,359 of 42,765
  i am looking for high end quality cables that are best quality

1- 3.5 mm to 3.5 mm cable short angled cable ( 10 cm in total length including the connectors )
2- micro usb to micro usb otg braided 10 cm including angeled connectors

any help guys

Jan 16, 2016 at 6:05 PM Post #9,360 of 42,765
I had to send my Mojo back to my dealer yesterday. (USB port socket is not set perpendicular to the back and has intermittent drop-outs.) Starting to have withdrawals already, and I still have at least a couple of weeks before I get it back. Fortunately, I haven't put my HA-2 up for sale yet. 

Before I got the Mojo, I thought the HA-2 sounded great. (Still do for the money/value) But now, I've been thoroughly spoiled. The Oppo sounds thick and congested by comparison. There's a cohesion and clarity missing. 

T minus 14(?) and counting...

sigh  
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back