Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jan 8, 2016 at 1:25 PM Post #8,839 of 42,765
I understand, but it does matter what you device and way of transport you use to feed a mojo, because I see clear Quality difference in dx80 vs note 5 feeding Mojo

The inventor himself said it doesn't matter. The way mojo was designed is to ensure that it doesn't matter.

Jan 8, 2016 at 1:44 PM Post #8,842 of 42,765
I received my replacement unit from Moon Audio today. Plugged it in to charge and I have the dreaded whining noise while charging. I'm using the same Anker Powerport 5, the old unit was dead silent while charging. This one whines with apple's charger and mac mini's usb port also. The old unit had the startup hiss issue via HO, btw.

I believe this unit is from the latest batch that Moon Audio received this Monday. I thought this PSU regulator issue was resolved in the earlier production cycles. s/n on the new unit is M0278xx, could someone from CHORD shed more light on this?
I just saw 2 other new members having the same issue few pages back.

@Rob Watts @Mojo ideas @ChordElectronics, Any theories on why a newer unit will buzz when charging switched OFF, but not when switched ON. Should I return this back to Moon Audio?

Jan 8, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #8,843 of 42,765
I just hear a clear difference from note5 to. Mojo than vs the dx80 to mojo.

Try blindfolding yourself and having someone switch between them for you as see how many times you get it right. Make sure it's randomized and sufficient in quantity to rule out luck.

Jan 8, 2016 at 2:08 PM Post #8,844 of 42,765
The inventor himself said it doesn't matter. The way mojo was designed is to ensure that it doesn't matter.

It shouldn't, but if it does , that is the software that is used to play back. I hear it from Zx2-Mojo and Note4-Mojo. Note 4-Mojo sounded better than Zx2 feeding Mojo, better transparency and soundstage.

Jan 8, 2016 at 2:32 PM Post #8,845 of 42,765
Thanks. I have some bands from ALO. I'll also put something non sticky between the devices to prevent scratching.

Thin silicone sheet works really well, and if it's soft enough it keeps them from slipping as well. Easy to cut, so you can trip to shape. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131335778460

Jan 8, 2016 at 2:59 PM Post #8,846 of 42,765
I've been using my iPhone usb charger. I keep it plugged all the time. 
What are you using to charge your Mojo? Is the iPad usb charger too much juice?

Jan 8, 2016 at 3:31 PM Post #8,848 of 42,765

It shouldn't, but if it does , that is the software that is used to play back. I hear it from Zx2-Mojo and Note4-Mojo. Note 4-Mojo sounded better than Zx2 feeding Mojo, better transparency and soundstage.

In my experience if your playing track native to the Mojo it sounds the same via USB on all devices. Using with UAPP with either S6/Note/Z5C or JRIVER software on my XPS13 laptop.

It does sound slightly different if using native Android 5.1 apps on phones as all music scale's to 24/192 irrespective of source track.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Jan 8, 2016 at 3:58 PM Post #8,849 of 42,765
Well I think I will cave today and order a customized Hugo Link by Curious Cables... The last raving review on high fidelity, which provided great background info and not just technicalities convinced me to try this.
I think I will oder a shortened Hugo Link and keep the connections, micro USB male to USB male, this way I can use the cable for pc connection as well. Just have to use a small cold plated OTG adapter...
I will write about my impressions here, but since I read great thinks about curious cables in general and also in combination with Hugo I am confident, also YOU GET 30 DAYS TRIAL, FREE SHIPPING WORLD WIDE, AND IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT THEY WILL EVEN PAY THE TRANSPORT BACK TO AUSTRALIA!
So if Rob Watts himself doesn't cry snake oil within an hour I will order :)

Jan 8, 2016 at 5:03 PM Post #8,850 of 42,765

Which is why you must ensure you are transmitting bit-perfect,, Onkyo can do this. If you are there should be no difference.

Zx2 had all sorts of software "enhancements" to sound, you'd have to make sure it's transmitting bit-perfect and I have no idea how to do that on ZX2. USB bit perfect from any device should be identical. If you hear differences it is the software doing something to the sound before it gets sent to mojo.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back