Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jan 8, 2016 at 5:10 PM Post #8,851 of 42,765
Well I think I will cave today and order a customized Hugo Link by Curious Cables... The last raving review on high fidelity, which provided great background info and not just technicalities convinced me to try this.
I think I will oder a shortened Hugo Link and keep the connections, micro USB male to USB male, this way I can use the cable for pc connection as well. Just have to use a small cold plated OTG adapter...
I will write about my impressions here, but since I read great thinks about curious cables in general and also in combination with Hugo I am confident, also YOU GET 30 DAYS TRIAL, FREE SHIPPING WORLD WIDE, AND IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT THEY WILL EVEN PAY THE TRANSPORT BACK TO AUSTRALIA!
So if Rob Watts himself doesn't cry snake oil within an hour I will order
smily_headphones1.gif

Could you provide a link to the review or at least the issue and page number?  Let's just call me a skeptic at least until I read the evidence and logic. 

Jan 8, 2016 at 5:20 PM Post #8,852 of 42,765
I bought the Chord Mojo yesterday after a favourable demonstration.  Far superior to my Dragonfly.  Charged it up over night in anticipation.  Have had a nightmare since trying to connect it to my desktop with Windows 8.1.  When I download the driver a Word document appears instead of a zip file.  I get an error message saying it wont open because of a problem.  I hold my hand up to being a computer ignoramous, but my son is not and he got no further than me.  I had no such problem with the Dragonfly as the instruction manual provided clear instructions.  In comparison the Chord manual I downloaded is woeful.  If I can't install the Mojo I fear I might have no option but to return it to the dealer.

I would be grateful if someone could provide clear step by step advice.  Thanks in advance.

Jan 8, 2016 at 5:27 PM Post #8,853 of 42,765
Of course, here is the link to the latest review of the Curious Cable

http://www.highfidelity.pl/@main-620&lang=en

There are others on DAR and I remember one review of the GG Lampizator in which there was also excessive drooling about the Curious Cable.

Jan 8, 2016 at 5:29 PM Post #8,854 of 42,765
  I bought the Chord Mojo yesterday after a favourable demonstration.  Far superior to my Dragonfly.  Charged it up over night in anticipation.  Have had a nightmare since trying to connect it to my desktop with Windows 8.1.  When I download the driver a Word document appears instead of a zip file.  I get an error message saying it wont open because of a problem.  I hold my hand up to being a computer ignoramous, but my son is not and he got no further than me.  I had no such problem with the Dragonfly as the instruction manual provided clear instructions.  In comparison the Chord manual I downloaded is woeful.  If I can't install the Mojo I fear I might have no option but to return it to the dealer.

I would be grateful if someone could provide clear step by step advice.  Thanks in advance.

Welcome to Head-fi. Sorry to hear about your luck with Mojo. Goto POST# 3, you've drivers, FAQs, troubleshooting etc.

Jan 8, 2016 at 5:33 PM Post #8,855 of 42,765
  .... When I download the driver a Word document appears instead of a zip file.  I get an error message saying it wont open because of a problem.

With respect, it is quite obvious that there is a problem with the file you downloaded, or with the program you are using to unzip it.

Have you tried re-downloading it? It's possible the download got corrupted and you may have an incomplete or damaged zip file.

​

Jan 8, 2016 at 6:05 PM Post #8,856 of 42,765
Of course, here is the link to the latest review of the Curious Cable

http://www.highfidelity.pl/@main-620&lang=en

There are others on DAR and I remember one review of the GG Lampizator in which there was also excessive drooling about the Curious Cable.

Thanks.  I read the DAR file.  Will check the link.  I should have mentioned that I use the ifi iUSB which I suspect accomplishes a lot (or more) of what the Curious Cable is designed to do.  I don't know which approach is better but it is very clear that RFI and EMI can mess up the data, that's why they put ferrites on data cables.  The ifi receives but does not use the USB power coming from the computer and supplies its own clean power.   There are several devices like this, Schiit Wyrd for one.  They seem to be accomplishing what the Curious Cable is trying to do passively.  The advantage of the cable is it's more transportable.  It could also work to minimize interference in portable systems if you had a short one.  My skepticism is toward the statement that one digital cable sounds better than another one.  It's semantics but what sounds better is blocking interference with and distortion of the signal.  Yes I can believe it makes a difference.

Jan 8, 2016 at 6:08 PM Post #8,857 of 42,765
Which is why you must ensure you are transmitting bit-perfect,, Onkyo can do this. If you are there should be no difference.

Zx2 had all sorts of software "enhancements" to sound, you'd have to make sure it's transmitting bit-perfect and I have no idea how to do that on ZX2. USB bit perfect from any device should be identical. If you hear differences it is the software doing something to the sound before it gets sent to mojo.

Totally agreed :) and that is my point. No transportation would make the differences, if it does, then it is the software (algorithms) or the operating system itself. It was a solid proof to me that Zx2 with ancient android did not get as much quality as Note 4 feeding the Mojo on the same file. I can not stress that enough regarding the software.

Jan 8, 2016 at 6:09 PM Post #8,858 of 42,765
The combination of Uptone Regen and Curious is said to be the ultimate combination for that manner.

Jan 8, 2016 at 6:13 PM Post #8,859 of 42,765
The combination of Uptone Regen and Curious is said to be the ultimate combination for that manner.

IME the Regen didn't really do anything for the Mojo. Cheers

Jan 8, 2016 at 6:16 PM Post #8,860 of 42,765
Thanks for the input.
Will try the cable for myself and see... Ach I mean hear :)

Jan 8, 2016 at 6:19 PM Post #8,861 of 42,765
  I've been using my iPhone usb charger. I keep it plugged all the time. 
What are you using to charge your Mojo? Is the iPad usb charger too much juice?

No, the Mojo will only draw as much as it needs, and no more.  The only requirements for the charger are that it is able to supply at least 1amp charging current.

If you wanted to use a USB charger capable of supplying 10million amps, that would still work fine with Mojo.

Jan 8, 2016 at 6:23 PM Post #8,862 of 42,765
Totally agreed :) and that is my point. No transportation would make the differences, if it does, then it is the software (algorithms) or the operating system itself. It was a solid proof to me that Zx2 with ancient android did not get as much quality as Note 4 feeding the Mojo on the same file. I can not stress that enough regarding the software.

What would be the best device/software to use with mojo? For the best performance?

Jan 8, 2016 at 6:25 PM Post #8,863 of 42,765
Though there were some heat issues with some 2A loaders... So a little shy of 10 million

Users who are viewing this thread

Back