Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Nov 16, 2015 at 4:56 AM Post #5,176 of 42,765
So, two questions...

If source direct is always best, why was there a popularisation of headphone amplifiers in the first place (when you could just as easily use the jack in the CDP, speaker amplifier, or MP3 player)?

Is anyone naysaying this absolutely sure that the load characteristics for any amplifier are the same as any other? Multi crossover IEMs handle substantially differently to a single dynamic driver, and I can say as an EASY to observe fact that the Pure II+ can drive the Layla's more cleanly (treble opens up, always an easy tell)...

That is the key here, what the load does to the amplification, and we know that is not perfect on the Hugo (hiss on IEMs and reported inability to drive harder cans like the HD800 to their upmost ability), so why can the same not be true here?

I'm happy either using mojo on its own, or with an amp strapped to its belly, however for cleaness of sound from top to bottom that award goes to the Vorzuge...

If I am, as others purport, living in a compromised world, so be it...

Edit: whilst I'm here, might as well add that adding a line level component to mojo's belly seems to eliminate the phone signal noise problem...

1> Every amplifier adds distortion. In this case you are replacing the built in amplifier with your external amplifier (hopefully with a better one, producing less distortion). With the Hugo and Mojo, the amplification stage is built into the DAC and it is not bypassed, so whatever amplification is added is increasing distortion.

2> I can't see your second question, but nobody is saying it is right or wrong. It is up to the individual as to the sound they prefer and whether they are happy to carry around the extra gear to achieve it.

Nov 16, 2015 at 5:05 AM Post #5,178 of 42,765
1> Every amplifier adds distortion. In this case you are replacing the built in amplifier with your external amplifier (hopefully with a better one, producing less distortion). With the Hugo and Mojo, the amplification stage is built into the DAC and it is not bypassed, so whatever amplification is added is increasing distortion.

2> I can't see your second question, but nobody is saying it is right or wrong. It is up to the individual as to the sound they prefer and whether they are happy to carry around the extra gear to achieve it.

There's adding distortion, and then there is adding distortion...

In monoblock mode my CMA800R are adding only the most negligible distortion, I doubt it'd even be audible.

Nov 16, 2015 at 5:22 AM Post #5,180 of 42,765
There's adding distortion, and then there is adding distortion...

In monoblock mode my CMA800R are adding only the most negligible distortion, I doubt it'd even be audible.

It's good that we are in agreement. Perhaps I should have said "Every amplifier adds distortion, however small"
wink.gif

Nov 16, 2015 at 5:37 AM Post #5,182 of 42,765
It's not possible to connect the mojo chord to the s5 from coax is it? (I'm new to this). usually, with DAP's, it's done from the coax?

S5 is a phone, only possible output is via USB.

Nov 16, 2015 at 5:37 AM Post #5,183 of 42,765

It's not possible to connect the mojo chord to the s5 from coax is it? (I'm new to this). usually, with DAP's, it's done from the coax?

Alas, no.  One has to use what's called an OTG cable connector (USB). The link I gave is for a very short and discrete one. The smallest one I've seen in fact AND it has right angled connectors. 

Then, to use the mojo, you'll need some software called USB Audio Player Pro which costs a few $ from the Play Store. It will allow your S5 to output an untampered-with digital signal, via the OTG connector to the Mojo. It will even output DSD native format (DSF's work at least).

Hope this helps.

Nov 16, 2015 at 5:39 AM Post #5,184 of 42,765
It's good that we are in agreement. Perhaps I should have said "Every amplifier adds distortion, however small" :wink:

That's a nearly complete position statement, I would add that this may include distortion at levels that are inaudible, just to be absolutely clear :)

In fact, now that I think about it, connecting to the CMA800R sounds like a good idea... Anyone know whether I can go from 3.5mm from the Mojo into RCA for the CMA800R? It'll be single-ended only, rather than balanced, but I can probably slum it with the 0.00038% distortion. Right?

Nov 16, 2015 at 6:06 AM Post #5,185 of 42,765
Hi salla, 
I have listened to the K3003s belonging to @Turrican2
  for a little while , maybe 30 minutes. I would put Phil's IEMs on a par with mine, his sounded more lively and mine sounded more silky. The IE800s were a bit more bloated in the bass region and had a wider soundstage wheras the 3003s had a tighter bottom and a more natural intimate soundstage but possibly lacking just a tiny bit of micro detail with it being closer together. He now has custom shells for his so I'm sure they are now outperforming my IE800s. And you can take phone calls with them. You can't without spending another fair load of money on a different cable for the IE800. What he doesn't have is the Mojo. And my custom shells aren't too far away. So.....I win! 

@Takeanidea
hi trev

My MOJO is arriving today!

Nov 16, 2015 at 6:23 AM Post #5,188 of 42,765
can i ask as a transport to the mojo which would be better in getting the best sound quality a windows 8 tablet like hp slate 7 which is a 7 inch tablet, or an android phone

with the hp plate 7 i can use the jriver player and all its pluggins but downside is battery life which sucks as u cant play music with screen turned off 

but i tested my hp slate 7 with ifi dsd and to be honest its a big difference than using an adroid phone for the same song 

this is to be used a trasnportable set up so I am not concerned about portability but my goal is to have the best transportable setup 

whats your thoughts

Nov 16, 2015 at 6:30 AM Post #5,189 of 42,765
I have Sennheiser IE800, Klipsch X11i Customs, Flare Audio Pro R2 Titanium Customs,  Sony XBA4ip, ACS Encore Studio Customs, Westone UM2 Customs - I've too many and I know I shall get more in time to come. I can't help myself. As for which is the best IEM. Who knows? I need to spend months listening to just what I've got to tell you which one I like most. Which is the best for Value for Money or sound quality or bass or soundstage or detail will take a long time to determine even on my collection. They all sound great!

Sorry for OT but I just had to ask.

How did you manage to reshell your flare audio iem and your X11i? Or are they just custom ACS eartips?

Nov 16, 2015 at 6:31 AM Post #5,190 of 42,765
No idea. I know that compared to UAPP on Android, some users felt their laptop PCs sounded worse. I wouldn't expect there to be much difference, if any, comparing UAPP to a Windows environment however that probably depends a bit on the specific devices in question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back