Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Nov 16, 2015 at 2:14 AM Post #5,161 of 42,765
I appreciate the principle of keeping the signal path as simple and clean as possible,.. but you are wrong. Most headphone and virtually all speakers need amplification. The design and quality of components determine how an amplifier will effect the sound. People often select amplifiers for a particular coloration... but it's also possible to build amplifiers which are pretty close to wire with gain.

In the face of a difficult load, having sufficient amplification allows the speaker to effectively produce sounds from the signal it receives even as the load from the speaker chances.  I am sure everyone here has heard a pair of headphones or speakers that was being driven by an amplifier that wasn't up to the task. Great headphones sounding awful because of an amplifier that isn't sufficient.  Note: how loud an amp can drive headphones is just one part of the equation, because it could be getting plenty loud but distorting the signal at the same time. The question is how does the amplified signal look compared to the source.

Does the Mojo need an external amplifier? I don't think so for the headphones I am using. Would it benefit from an external amplifier?  I suppose that would depend on the load and the amplifier. My IEM didn't benefit from the addition of an amplifier. My HD800 (to my ears) got better with a top performing amplifier and worse with amplifiers which weren't up to the task.

--Mark

No, I am not WRONG. You are wrong. I was saying if the line out has enough power to drive headphones, no reason in adding another amp in the chain. A hugo added with a a $2,000.00 amp added on top of it won't make it sound any better. it'll sound worse because the strength of Hugo which is transparency, and openness is compromised heavily by the flavor of the external amp. You will hear more of Amps sound then the prior because it is the second to last in chain, just like you will more of headphones sound signature than any amp in chain. I suppose Mojo has similar characteristic to hugo, so it's best left alone if has enough power to drive your headphones.

Nov 16, 2015 at 2:15 AM Post #5,162 of 42,765
Tech question.

I have managed to connect my Mojo with X3ii via coax. 

When playing DSD files, the light on the Mojo is coming on yellow, rather than the white I get via the PC and foobar.

Is there a recognised fix for this? My feeling was that the X3ii plays native DSD, so why's it being sensed as otherwise by the Mojo, or more to the point, being output as otherwise from the X3ii?

Any pointerst?

Nov 16, 2015 at 2:16 AM Post #5,164 of 42,765
Tech question.

I have managed to connect my Mojo with X3ii via coax. 

When playing DSD files, the light on the Mojo is coming on yellow, rather than the white I get via the PC and foobar.

Is there a recognised fix for this? My feeling was that the X3ii plays native DSD, so why's it being sensed as otherwise by the Mojo, or more to the point, being output as otherwise from the X3ii?

Any pointerst?

All FiiO DAPs output DSD through coaxial as 88.2 which is what the Mojo is showing you. Since the DAC is bypassed (so no native decoding from the DAC chip) when using coaxial the SoC converts DSD to 24/88.2 PCM.

Nov 16, 2015 at 2:24 AM Post #5,166 of 42,765

Apparently you're searching for easy explanations. Your last paragraph is such an attempt – perfectly unsubstantiated, but with the potential to create a new myth in the worst case.

Yes, the direct connection with its relative unforgivingness may lead to a fatiguing sound. But you can just as well fault your headphone (the weakest link in your chain) or a bad synergy with the Mojo's tonal balance and/or your ears.

Generally speaking many seemingly intractable solutions reduce to something much simpler, it just requires a little thought -at least I've found that to be case in my line of work. As for the headphone's being the weakest link, the HD 2 II are professional monitoring headphones, are built as such, and have no pretensions to be anything else.

Nov 16, 2015 at 2:26 AM Post #5,167 of 42,765
Aha. thank you. 

Is it still a native DSD signal or PCM conversion? Sorry for my ignorance!

PCM. I edited my previous post. :wink:

If it means anything to you I hear little to no difference in the conversion.

Nov 16, 2015 at 2:31 AM Post #5,168 of 42,765
PCM. I edited my previous post.
wink.gif

If it means anything to you I hear little to no difference in the conversion.

appreciated. Ill live with it, at least for now!  :wink:

at least I won't be beating myself up thinking there's some error in my side, connections or settings.

thanks again!

Nov 16, 2015 at 3:34 AM Post #5,169 of 42,765

oh yeah! I'm sure they would sound great too! I can see high end iem sales increasing haha! I would also love to  hear the SE846's. ALMOST got them in pref to the K3003's at the time, it really was 5050. It was weird, the K3003s were criticised in some quarters for their high end peak and the 846's for their roll off. I considered the IE800's but in the end the "reference" idea of the K3003 won me over. Top end is tamed by the use of comply foam tips. They sound great (really bring out the subleties of the Mojo). 

Takeanidea, you're right, Im quite sure! Must all sound great. Nice to have a selection of great IEM's to play with!

Hi salla, 
I have listened to the K3003s belonging to @Turrican2  for a little while , maybe 30 minutes. I would put Phil's IEMs on a par with mine, his sounded more lively and mine sounded more silky. The IE800s were a bit more bloated in the bass region and had a wider soundstage wheras the 3003s had a tighter bottom and a more natural intimate soundstage but possibly lacking just a tiny bit of micro detail with it being closer together. He now has custom shells for his so I'm sure they are now outperforming my IE800s. And you can take phone calls with them. You can't without spending another fair load of money on a different cable for the IE800. What he doesn't have is the Mojo. And my custom shells aren't too far away. So.....I win! 

Nov 16, 2015 at 3:39 AM Post #5,170 of 42,765
Got a cheap USB OTG for my samsung S5, works like a charm.

Velcro on back of phone + mojo. Grip's solid, no bands over screen. Brilliant! Can even use the mojo as a stand.lol.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301228419677?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Nov 16, 2015 at 3:56 AM Post #5,171 of 42,765
  Hi salla, 
I have listened to the K3003s belonging to @Turrican2  for a little while , maybe 30 minutes. I would put Phil's IEMs on a par with mine, his sounded more lively and mine sounded more silky. The IE800s were a bit more bloated in the bass region and had a wider soundstage wheras the 3003s had a tighter bottom and a more natural intimate soundstage but possibly lacking just a tiny bit of micro detail with it being closer together. He now has custom shells for his so I'm sure they are now outperforming my IE800s. And you can take phone calls with them. You can't without spending another fair load of money on a different cable for the IE800. What he doesn't have is the Mojo. And my custom shells aren't too far away. So.....I win! 

interesting indeed! In all honesty, am pretty (very) satisfied with my overall rig. I can't see myself getting anything else soon on the iem front apart from perhaps a cheap pair of K3003 clones -  the DUNU 2000J which will probably do for on the go use. I am faintly disturbed by going out to the shops and such with 800chf of earbuds in; but they sound so good! Each slight snag or stress on the connectors makes me palpitate! I really need to try and get used to my GR10's again. 

My next purchase (after I recover from recent months of head-fi frivolity) will probably be a pair of over ears. Either HD800's or T1's, or maybe even some Hifimans or Audeze: i would like to try a range of them with mojo directly, and it will come down to synergy in this regard.

All good fun.

Ps... been communicating with Phil about the Mojo... my work has been paying off - maniacal laugh!! :wink:

Nov 16, 2015 at 4:25 AM Post #5,173 of 42,765
Hello all. Am looking for a little bit of help I am useinf a sony Walkman ZX1 and have a cable thatbis to big and wondered if the was a smaller one out there
I wish there was, is a pain that Sony is so set on propriety formats and connections...

I might be wrong but I think that Brimair are making such a cable, not sure if they are as to if it is released yet or not, and is sure to be pricey!

Nov 16, 2015 at 4:51 AM Post #5,174 of 42,765
  Got a cheap USB OTG for my samsung S5, works like a charm.

Velcro on back of phone + mojo. Grip's solid, no bands over screen. Brilliant! Can even use the mojo as a stand.lol.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301228419677?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Do you have something to make them stick together?

Nov 16, 2015 at 4:53 AM Post #5,175 of 42,765

Ah, his post mentioned velcro?

I prefer 3M dual-lock tape myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back