Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Nov 14, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #5,071 of 42,765
As I noted in my review:

1) Micro USB input - Capable of 44kHz to 768kHz PCM and DSD64, DSD128 and DSD256 in DoP format.
Driverless on Mac, Android and Linux OS. However Windows Vista, 7, 8, and 10 will require a driver which can be found on Chord’s Mojo webpage.

2) Coaxial S/PDIF 3.5mm two pole mono input - Capable of playing 44.1kHz to 384kHz PCM (768kHz special operation) and DSD64, DSD128 in DoP format.

3) Standard S/PDIF optical TOSlink input - Capable of playing 44.1kHz to 192kHz PCM and DSD64 in DoP format.

Thank you Relic, and sorry if I was not clear, I was referring to the output capabilities of the AK100 with its TOSlink as I could not find it yet. I guess the AK100 and others do not have coax outputs, but I may be wrong.

Nov 14, 2015 at 8:56 PM Post #5,072 of 42,765
Thank you Relic, and sorry if I was not clear, I was referring to the output capabilities of the AK100 with its TOSlink as I could not find it yet. I guess the AK100 and others do not have coax outputs, but I may be wrong.

Sorry, misunderstood. Based on reports in this thread users are getting 192kHz from the AK120 optical out depending on the quality of the cable. I imagine DSD in a FLAC wrapper (DoP) would work but I can't confirm (AFAIK no optical can transmit DSD natively). I'm pretty sure the AK120 has the same optical out as the AK100.

Nov 14, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #5,073 of 42,765
I've been tortured about this because I think the Mojo is plain awesome. But I have to choose between the Dac 19 and Mojo and I have decided to sell my Mojo.
frown.gif
  It's two days old and hardly has much time on it. It's from TTVJ.  Please PM. 

Nov 14, 2015 at 9:22 PM Post #5,074 of 42,765
I've been tortured about this because I think the Mojo is plain awesome. But I have to choose between the Dac 19 and Mojo and I have decided to sell my Mojo. :frowning2:   It's two days old and hardly has much time on it. It's from TTVJ.  Please PM. 

Assume your use-case is desktop?

Nov 14, 2015 at 9:24 PM Post #5,075 of 42,765
  I've been tortured about this because I think the Mojo is plain awesome. But I have to choose between the Dac 19 and Mojo and I have decided to sell my Mojo.
frown.gif

I will offer 2 dolla and lunch at In N Out burger. 
beerchug.gif

Nov 14, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #5,076 of 42,765
I spent the day with various sources, daps, dac and amp. There were to many variable for me to check however at the end I ended up sticking with Ak120 and Mojo and for my IEM I decided to stick with IE800. 

Here are pro and cons of using Mojo instead of Ak120:

Pros:
  1. Noticeable improvement in treble, IE800 can at times sound artifical when it comes to treble as the treble sounds more resolving than it the music itself is. 
  2. Layering, midrange and dynamic improved. 
  3. No noticeable improvement in bass, can't say it added or improved on IE800 bass in any way
Cons:
  1. Reduction in soundstage width: Ak120 offer a more wider sound. AK120 sounded wider and perhaps a little more open than Mojo. This is the noticeable thing with Mojo, it soundstage and be smaller than most high end daps and its bigger brother, the chord HUGO.

Nov 14, 2015 at 10:05 PM Post #5,078 of 42,765
Yes, I'm planning on pairing the Dac 19 with Cavalli Liquid Carbon. 

Got it. So then the great value of the Mojo's portability doesn't figure into your equation much. Cheers

Nov 14, 2015 at 10:47 PM Post #5,081 of 42,765
frown.gif

I can't do it. It's too good. I'll have to think some more on this. 

Nov 14, 2015 at 10:55 PM Post #5,082 of 42,765
Hello:
      I had a great time at the meet in Connecticut. I figured out finally why I could not get the MOJO to work on my Samsung Galaxy Note 4. I just bought a new Sandisk 128GB card ad moved my music to it. I d=found if I moved my music to the phones internal storage it was found and worked fine. It could not find it and read it from the 128gb card?? So I can get it to work. I just have to figure out why Onkyo will not see it on my SD 128gb card.

Met Mrbucket and Skyyy. I had a great time. Heard the TH900 finally! Loed it and Listened to some Stax head phones and HD800. The best headphone for me was the DHARMA!!! I did enjoy Mr SPeakers Ether C. Very large sound stage and great sound. MOJO sounded great also!!

Nov 14, 2015 at 11:12 PM Post #5,083 of 42,765
I spent the day with various sources, daps, dac and amp. There were to many variable for me to check however at the end I ended up sticking with Ak120 and Mojo and for my IEM I decided to stick with IE800. 

Here are pro and cons of using Mojo instead of Ak120:

Pros:
  • Noticeable improvement in treble, IE800 can at times sound artifical when it comes to treble as the treble sounds more resolving than it the music itself is. 
  • Layering, midrange and dynamic improved. 
  • No noticeable improvement in bass, can't say it added or improved on IE800 bass in any way
Cons:
  • Reduction in soundstage width: Ak120 offer a more wider sound. AK120 sounded wider and perhaps a little more open than Mojo. This is the noticeable thing with Mojo, it soundstage and be smaller than most high end daps and its bigger brother, the chord HUGO.

I definitely agree with the last part, which is what's making me have second thoughts about the mojo.

I know it's been debated to death the benefit of external amplifiers with the Hugo and mojo, but my experience tells me that both the Hugo and the mojo have some ways to go in terms of stepping up their game with external amplifiers.

The Hugo, now, does very well unamplified. In the portable realm, even with the vorzuge pure 2, I find the Hugo to perform better unamped. The mojo, however, not so. Yea it's resolving and transparent, more so than any DAP, but amplification makes a HUGE difference to its soundstaging capabilities.

I was so keen on the mojo and so close to buying it due to its amazing dac. I even sold the pure 2 to get it. However, soundstaging plays one of the biggest roles in my enjoyment of music. I realised I enjoy my x5 pure 2 stack more than the mojo due to that.

Nov 14, 2015 at 11:35 PM Post #5,084 of 42,765
I definitely agree with the last part, which is what's making me have second thoughts about the mojo.

I know it's been debated to death the benefit of external amplifiers with the Hugo and mojo, but my experience tells me that both the Hugo and the mojo have some ways to go in terms of stepping up their game with external amplifiers.

The Hugo, now, does very well unamplified. In the portable realm, even with the vorzuge pure 2, I find the Hugo to perform better unamped. The mojo, however, not so. Yea it's resolving and transparent, more so than any DAP, but amplification makes a HUGE difference to its soundstaging capabilities.

I was so keen on the mojo and so close to buying it due to its amazing dac. I even sold the pure 2 to get it. However, soundstaging plays one of the biggest roles in my enjoyment of music. I realised I enjoy my x5 pure 2 stack more than the mojo due to that.

To me amping can improve the soundstage however it screws with the rest of the sound and as a result I dont amp mine. At really complex classical passage the sound can get over crowded as the soundstage isn't cable of dealing with such intensity but thankfully I got other gears to deal with such classical music.

I havent found an amp that is able to 'fix' the soundstage without screwing with the rest of Mojo sound, I own 10 portable amp just to be clear. 

Nov 14, 2015 at 11:39 PM Post #5,085 of 42,765

This is interesting! I'm getting the Mojo to pair it with my AK 120 but if the AK 120 has a wider soundstage then it could be a deal-breaker. My expectation is that the Mojo should be better in every to the AK 120 but if it's not, it's bothersome.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back