Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jun 21, 2021 at 8:50 PM Post #41,554 of 42,765
Having two 2.5mm outputs comes in handy when using the Mojo in a stationary desktop application; you can feed two different amps or feed one amp and still have an output available for headphones. I don't mind having that level of flexibility at all.
Hence, I carefully gave "Mobile device" in my comment, a capital M.

Jun 21, 2021 at 8:54 PM Post #41,555 of 42,765
I am not criticizing it, I am just saying that it must be something really special to justify the price. For all I know it really is special and the price is fully justified.
I think you’ll find there is not much else in its category, except 2Go, so that would qualify as special. As to whether it’s worth it is up to the purchaser.

Jun 22, 2021 at 1:08 PM Post #41,556 of 42,765
I am not criticizing it, I am just saying that it must be something really special to justify the price. For all I know it really is special and the price is fully justified.
It (finally) works very well for it's intended purpose.

I use the poly/mojo almost daily as my bedside setup. My AK240 sits in a drawer and my Opus #2 I gave to a friend because it too sat in a drawer. I have a 512GB microSD of my library for mobile use without internet.

Once I went Roon, I never looked back.

Jun 22, 2021 at 3:55 PM Post #41,557 of 42,765
Once I went Roon, I never looked back.
Mmmm?
I hear you all, but Roon is lost at me.
I mean whatever I use to control Roon (phone, tablet whatever) can easily act as player itself, so I never felt the need for a Roon.
Besides, memory cards are so cheap, I could carry my music with me, as you do with your 512GB card.
I mean we can not avoid the headphone cable, a USB cable is not gonna rock the boat that much (provided the USB cable is comparable in size to the headphone/earphone cable).
Also, I feel cheated if I am forced to pay a monthly subscription just to use the same software, month after month.
But hey, you guys like it, it works for you.

Jun 22, 2021 at 4:04 PM Post #41,558 of 42,765
Mmmm?
I mean whatever I use to control Roon (phone, tablet whatever) can easily act as player itself, so I never felt the need for a Roon.
Besides, memory cards are so cheap, I could carry my music with me, as you do with your 512GB card.
I mean we can not avoid the headphone cable, a USB cable is not gonna rock the boat that much (provided the USB cable is comparable in size to the headphone/earphone cable).
Also, I feel cheated if I am forced to pay a monthly subscription just to use the same software, month after month.

If you use streaming services and local files then Roon is a no-brainer. If you're all local files then it doesn't make a lot of sense.

Jun 22, 2021 at 5:33 PM Post #41,559 of 42,765
If you use streaming services and local files then Roon is a no-brainer. If you're all local files then it doesn't make a lot of sense.
Thank you.
I thought there must be something to Room I was missing.
what about jRiver? could that do the same job.
you are right, I do not subscribe to any streaming services (Yet!).

Jun 22, 2021 at 7:09 PM Post #41,560 of 42,765
Mmmm?
I bought the lifetime subscription several years ago when it was "relatively" cheap.

Without the Qobuz/streaming integration, it's still an easier interface for my local files than any DAP/phone app I've owned. I use the radio feature frequently. It's like pandora with your own local music files. Add the streaming portion, and you have the perfect way to consume your own library and discover new music. Pretty cool.

However, I don't commute far. I listen to music at the destination I'm headed (Home, office, etc...) With VPN, I can log into my NAS based Roon server and still use Roon.

Jun 22, 2021 at 10:20 PM Post #41,563 of 42,765
Do you guys have or can point me to some instructions for setting up a VPN to do this?
I use OpenVPN. My NAS supports the host. I have a port forward to my NAS. It’s free and has multiple host options.

My router (Google mesh) doesn’t support VPN natively.

As for specifics for Roon, once you establish the VPN, Roon recognizes the server. My issue is bandwidth. I can’t reliably stream over 16/44.

There is a good thread over at the Roon forums. It’s not officially supported.

Jun 22, 2021 at 11:55 PM Post #41,564 of 42,765
I use OpenVPN. My NAS supports the host. I have a port forward to my NAS. It’s free and has multiple host options.

My router (Google mesh) doesn’t support VPN natively.

As for specifics for Roon, once you establish the VPN, Roon recognizes the server. My issue is bandwidth. I can’t reliably stream over 16/44.

There is a good thread over at the Roon forums. It’s not officially supported.
Thanks, I’ll take a look. I suppose if 2/3 of my library is streaming, I might be better off using the Tidal app, rather than Roon?

Jun 23, 2021 at 7:03 PM Post #41,565 of 42,765
Thanks, I’ll take a look. I suppose if 2/3 of my library is streaming, I might be better off using the Tidal app, rather than Roon?

I still think Roon is a better front end. The search flexibility is so much better. The Focus feature is pretty cool to hone down your listening choices. If you don't those features or the Roon radio at all, then I can see how using the Tidal app would be better. I can't VPN stream HiRes even though I have more than enough bandwidth. I have everything resampled 16/44. I'm not critically listening when I'm away from home, nor do I think my ears can hear a huge difference between CD and HiRes qualities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back