Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jun 19, 2021 at 11:35 AM Post #41,521 of 42,765
I’m not talking about sub-bass necessarily, but the mid-bass punch. Ifi iSilencer+ improves the bass of the Mojo, but for my taste it is a bit lacking (again, don’t know if it’s amp related or just the HD650, though I do remember it punching harder 2 years ago.)

It could also be my cable (Mogami 2893)
Personal opinion here, but I don't think the Mojo is the problem, given the warmer sound signature I actually think that the Mojo is great for bass, I have a slight preference for bassy headphones, and usually when I tried Sennheiser products I found them a bit lacking in the same areas you just mentioned, If you want bang for your buck great bass without bloat maybe take a look into Sony MDR1AM2 I really love my set and it pairs flawlessly with the Mojo.

Jun 19, 2021 at 11:41 AM Post #41,522 of 42,765
Personal opinion here, but I don't think the Mojo is the problem, given the warmer sound signature I actually think that the Mojo is great for bass, I have a slight preference for bassy headphones, and usually when I tried Sennheiser products I found them a bit lacking in the same areas you just mentioned, If you want bang for your buck great bass without bloat maybe take a look into Sony MDR1AM2 I really love my set and it pairs flawlessly with the Mojo.
I’m set for bass headphones, it’s just that the mids and highs quality of the HD650, especially with the Mojo, is unmatched by those bassy headphones I have (and a lot of others that I sold).

Jun 19, 2021 at 2:05 PM Post #41,523 of 42,765
Looking to use them with my HD650. Bass is a bit weak for my taste on the Mojo, but it’s still more powerful on the Mojo vs my iPad 6 headphone out.

So I don’t know if Mojo is lacking bass with my HD650, or that it’s supposed to sound like that

The HD650 is not the headphone for you if you want bass. If it sounds weak in the bass it is because that headphone is weak in the bass.

Jun 19, 2021 at 3:55 PM Post #41,524 of 42,765
This new discussion started when it was suggested that Mojo needs an upgrade and it is a few years old, well that maybe true, but only if you compare Mojo to its self!
Actually, i think this discussion started when Hooster stated that the m11 SQ is 'far superior' to the Mojo...

Jun 20, 2021 at 1:43 AM Post #41,525 of 42,765
Here's something most Mojo owners don't know, but there's actually a noticable sound quality difference between the two 3.5mm headphone ports.

The left one has a lower impedance, and sounds slightly more detailed, with better bass slam and dynamics, but it sounds more edgy, less smooth on the impact of sounds.

The 3.5mm port to the right, has less bass slam, and slightly less detail and dynamic contrast, but sounds smoother. I prefer the right port, since it's bass slam and dynamics still is excellent, but the smoother less edgy sound wins me over.

This difference was consistent with a 16 ohm JVC-S400, 250 ohm Beyerdynamic DT150 and 250, and a 300 ohm Sennheiser HD650

I asked Rob Watts about this a while back, and he said that the right port has a slightly higher ohm due to a longer PCB trace.
Sorry, which would be the one on the left and which would be the one on the right?

Jun 20, 2021 at 4:06 AM Post #41,526 of 42,765
Sorry, which would be the one on the left and which would be the one on the right?
I have to assume it's looking at the side with the ports facing you.

Attachments

• Chord-Mojo-DAC-Amp-4_2000x.jpg
    Chord-Mojo-DAC-Amp-4_2000x.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 0
Jun 20, 2021 at 5:35 AM Post #41,527 of 42,765
I have to assume it's looking at the side with the ports facing you.
I very very much doubt, the fraction of an ohm (immeasurable ) impedance variance would have a sonic effect.
contact resistance between gold-plated contacts of the socket/plug could vary more with daily use, than a longer path on the circuit board.
His sockets may be damaged, corroded or something.
No headphone is that sensitive, unless it has an impedance of one ohm or similar.
never heard of such headphone.

Jun 20, 2021 at 6:06 AM Post #41,528 of 42,765
I very very much doubt, the fraction of an ohm (immeasurable ) impedance variance would have a sonic effect.
contact resistance between gold-plated contacts of the socket/plug could vary more with daily use, than a longer path on the circuit board.
No headphone is that sensitive, unless it has an impedance of one ohm or similar.
I have been searching for the post by @Rob Watts where he mentions that it is 'just about audible' with his ears.
That means that many people will not have noticed any difference - until they read posts stating that there is a difference.
Then expectation bias enters the equation, and some owners will try to convince themselves that there is a 'night and day' difference.
:wink:

I have never noticed any difference before, but my Mojo is on charge, to repeat the test.

Jun 20, 2021 at 9:21 AM Post #41,529 of 42,765
I have been searching for the post by @Rob Watts where he mentions that it is 'just about audible' with his ears.
That means that many people will not have noticed any difference - until they read posts stating that there is a difference.
Then expectation bias enters the equation, and some owners will try to convince themselves that there is a 'night and day' difference.
:wink:

I have never noticed any difference before, but my Mojo is on charge, to repeat the test.
It was in PM conversation with Rob Watts.

I actually noticed a difference before I PM’ed him about it. There may very well be something else at work accounting for the difference, but for me it’s definitely noticable.

And I used to own 4 different pairs of Mojos, it was the same on all 4 different pairs.

Keep in mind, I’m quite young (25 years old) so my ears are most likely more sensitive than most.

It’s most noticable on music with fast transient snare drums, especially synthethic snares, the right port sounds more rounded off and laid back. Bass also hits a bit softer (the whole sound does). I’m not sure the difference will be noticable on slower music or with instruments that are already laid back.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2021 at 10:14 AM Post #41,531 of 42,765
It was in PM conversation with Rob Watts.

I actually noticed a difference before I PM’ed him about it. There may very well be something else at work accounting for the difference, but for me it’s definitely noticable.

And I used to own 4 different pairs of Mojos, it was the same on all 4 different pairs.

Keep in mind, I’m quite young (25 years old) so my ears are most likely more sensitive than most. yes, quite possibly a contributory factor

It’s most noticeable on music with fast transient snare drums, especially synthetic snares, the right port sounds more rounded off and laid back. Bass also hits a bit softer (the whole sound does). I’m not sure the difference will be noticeable on slower music or with instruments that are already laid back. Probably the type of headphones used also plays a part in how much of a sound signature difference can be detected by users. A few months ago, when I tried to help another head-fier to understand why his music experience was so different to other Chord users, I compared Beyer DT 770 pro, Aeon Flow Closed, and Drop Koss 95X electrostatic headphones for him. To my surprise, after using the Aeon Flow Closed, and Drop Koss 95X for many months, the Beyer DT 770 pro (renowned by music producers) sounded slightly veiled when listening to steel string guitar, but the Aeon Flow Closed, and Drop Koss 95X sounded un-veiled as though one was standing in front of the artist. So the headphones that one has been using recently, can influence how well one can detect subtle changes in sound signature.
I am not rubbishing your comments. :relaxed:
Given that Rob can detect an unexpected difference (with his trained ears), is good enough for me to trust that there is a detectable difference.
I am just pointing out that for many owners, without trained ears, or certain types of headphone, then it can be difficult for some owners to detect a difference.
For other owners, then expectation bias can cause them to detect a difference, where non existed.

Jun 20, 2021 at 11:24 AM Post #41,532 of 42,765
I am not rubbishing your comments. :relaxed:
Given that Rob can detect an unexpected difference (with his trained ears), is good enough for me to trust that there is a detectable difference.
I am just pointing out that for many owners, without trained ears, or certain types of headphone, then it can be difficult for some owners to detect a difference.
For other owners, then expectation bias can cause them to detect a difference, where non existed.
wonderful !
i'm gonna cut off the jack, pass the cable through the socket hole and permanently solder the ends to the output transistors ! - much cheaper than buying a Hugo 2.
don't you think?
Honey, where we keep the scissors ?

Jun 20, 2021 at 4:59 PM Post #41,533 of 42,765
Yeah if it isn’t the ohm, it’s something else. I just know it’s there, subtle but for me enough to always choose the right port. A/B’ed many times on tracks I’ve heard hundreds of times with different headphones, I can pick it out.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2021 at 10:34 AM Post #41,534 of 42,765
Yeah if it isn’t the ohm, it’s something else. I just know it’s there, subtle but for me enough to always choose the right port. A/B’ed many times on tracks I’ve heard hundreds of times with different headphones, I can pick it out.
It seems you are serious.
I shall try to come up with some answers, I will test it as far as I can and report back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back