Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jun 17, 2021 at 7:04 PM Post #41,506 of 42,765
Well, just look at any modern similarly priced dap, build functionality, and dare I say it sound quality. I was fortunate enough to recently obtain a Fiio M11 plus ltd. I have also owned a Mojo so I do know what I am talking about. Comparing the two is like comparing a sixties VW Beetle to a modern Porsche 911. And yes, in addition to better build, functionality that is on another planet and far superior sound quality the M11 barely costs more than a Mojo.
You can still happily enjoy the Mojo you have, but should you buy a new one? I have to say that to me that idea is ridiculous.
Well, true it doesn't use the latest implementation of a DS DAC with crazy high SINAD. Nor does it claim to have the best detail retrieval compared to Chord's higher offerings. Rob stated the Mojo is the best he could do in that size package with the FGPA he uses. Battery upgrades and connector upgrade won't necessarily impact sound. Putting a newer, better FGPA with more taps would be awesome, but expensive. In short, I'm sure Rob could go crazy and significantly improve the Mojo, but not at the $499 price point. I guess we'll see someday.

I've spent more money on DACs and DAPs that I care to admit. The mojo is musical, detailed enough, and just a plain fun listen.

Jun 17, 2021 at 8:31 PM Post #41,507 of 42,765
Is the SQ difference between the m11 and Mojo really that dramatic?
At this level i usually use words like splitting hairs, slight or noticeable to describe differences but not huge, massive, night & day or the second coming of Christ.

Yes. When I had the Mojo I used it as the dac for my home system. I got an Oppo UDP-205 and compared the sound of that to the Mojo. The difference was so clear and it was so much better that I didn't bother listening to the Mojo again. I packaged it and sold it since I had no use for it any more. Now I have the M11 and it clearly beats my UDP-205. So, is the difference that dramatic? Well, hell yes, as far as I am concerned.
Sadly I can't sell my 205 for the big bucks it commands since I still like it as a blu ray player.

Jun 17, 2021 at 10:30 PM Post #41,508 of 42,765
Yes. When I had the Mojo I used it as the dac for my home system. I got an Oppo UDP-205 and compared the sound of that to the Mojo. The difference was so clear and it was so much better that I didn't bother listening to the Mojo again. I packaged it and sold it since I had no use for it any more. Now I have the M11 and it clearly beats my UDP-205. So, is the difference that dramatic? Well, hell yes, as far as I am concerned.
Sadly I can't sell my 205 for the big bucks it commands since I still like it as a blu ray player.
It all depends what you are looking for. With time, features can increase as components become smaller or more powerful or cheaper. But there is no Moore’s Law or anything that says subjective experiences can or should get better with time. Modern violins aren’t guaranteed to be better than a Stradivarius despite the amount of time and technology applied. You mentioned sound quality, but except for TT2, I haven’t heard other DACs that best Mojo, though I haven’t looked hard because Mojo is so satisfying on its own, to me.

Jun 18, 2021 at 5:18 PM Post #41,509 of 42,765
I could to some weird degree relate to this!
Don't get me wrong, I still believe that Mojo is great, indeed the best mobile DAC I have ever heard.
But when I tried it as a home DAC, connected to my amps and through my speakers, somehow it didn't sound right!
I am aware that many use it as such and swear by it, and I believe them - but for me it didn't happen, my home-DAC sounded better.
To make matters more weird, my Home-DAC through headphones sounded inferior to Mojo.
My suspicion is that the sonic signature of Mojo, didn't go with the sound signature of my home HiFi, somehow it didn't compliment it.
BUT ..
when used as its intended use, Mojo is wonderful, it has its flaws, let's be honest and fair, but the fact that it is un-fatiguing, means you could wear your headphone/earphone for extended periods and get into the groove - be it walking down the road or sitting in your comfy chair switching off from the world to regenerate.
as I always say, "Horses for courses".

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2021 at 5:53 PM Post #41,510 of 42,765
I could to some weird degree relate to this!
Don't get me wrong, I still believe that Mojo is great, indeed the best mobile DAC I have ever heard.
But when I tried it as a home DAC, connected to my amps and through my speakers, somehow it didn't sound right!
I am aware that many use it as such and swear by it, and I believe them - but for me it didn't happen, my home-DAC sounded better.
To make matters more weird, my Home-DAC through headphones sounded inferior to Mojo.
My suspicion is that the sonic signature of Mojo, didn't go with the sound signature of my home HiFi, somehow it didn't compliment it.
BUT ..
when used as its intended use, Mojo is wonderful, it has its flaws, let's be honest and fair, but the fact that it is un-fatiguing, means you could wear your headphone/earphone for extended periods and get into the groove - be it walking down the road or sitting in your comfy chair switching off from the world to regenerate.
as I always say, "Horses for courses".
What flaws do you find in the sound of Mojo, if I may ask?

Jun 19, 2021 at 1:12 AM Post #41,513 of 42,765
No, just wondering. Maybe I’ll look at another dac/amp if yours has better specific traits about it’s sound.

If you want my 2 cents I would say that the Mojo's strength is that it is musical and easy to listen too. It is essentially satisfactory in a way as it stands. Compared to the DAC I am now using it fails most notably in terms of bass weight, rhythmic drive and creating a vivid 3 dimensional sound stage. If those things mean anything to you you might consider trying another dac.

Jun 19, 2021 at 5:16 AM Post #41,514 of 42,765
No, just wondering. Maybe I’ll look at another dac/amp if yours has better specific traits about it’s sound.
Actually, Mojo's sound is the best part of the package.
This new discussion started when it was suggested that Mojo needs an upgrade and it is a few years old, well that maybe true, but only if you compare Mojo to its self!
To this day, if I was to choose another portable DAC up to £500, should I loose mine, it would be another Mojo!
Can Mojo be improved? certainly - talk to Mr. Watts.
I am not all that knowledgeable, and I haven't looked, probably when CamJam comes back, but I don't know of any.
So what's wrong with it?
- it is too heavy
- it is ugly
- etc. etc.
but at this price, I wouldn't nag about it's sound.

Jun 19, 2021 at 5:40 AM Post #41,515 of 42,765
Yup, agreed. At least until the battery runs out. That's my biggest gripe with the Mojo, the battery life. Other than that, it's great.

is this the part, that on the next scene I get quartered and hung?
Haha, made my day. Thanks.

Jun 19, 2021 at 9:03 AM Post #41,516 of 42,765
Good day.

I checked the last 3-4 pages and have not found where you mention what do you plan to use your DAC with ? Headphones or something else or different output devices.

So....this may affect how the others respond and what they recommend.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2021 at 9:35 AM Post #41,517 of 42,765
Good day.

I checked the last 3-4 pages and have not found where you mention what do you plan to use your DAC with ? Headphones or something else or different output devices.

So....this may affect how the others respond and what they recommend.
Looking to use them with my HD650. Bass is a bit weak for my taste on the Mojo, but it’s still more powerful on the Mojo vs my iPad 6 headphone out.

So I don’t know if Mojo is lacking bass with my HD650, or that it’s supposed to sound like that

Jun 19, 2021 at 10:32 AM Post #41,518 of 42,765
Looking to use them with my HD650. Bass is a bit weak for my taste on the Mojo, but it’s still more powerful on the Mojo vs my iPad 6 headphone out.

So I don’t know if Mojo is lacking bass with my HD650, or that it’s supposed to sound like that
HD650 has a well known roll-off, so you may need EQ to get it to your preference when playing on DACs and amps that are essentially flat: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/sennheiser-hd650-review-headphone.18774/

Jun 19, 2021 at 10:53 AM Post #41,519 of 42,765
I find the source component and the chain before the dac is very important to get the delineated bass and separation, you prob know that already !

Jun 19, 2021 at 11:24 AM Post #41,520 of 42,765
HD650 has a well known roll-off, so you may need EQ to get it to your preference when playing on DACs and amps that are essentially flat: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/sennheiser-hd650-review-headphone.18774/
I’m not talking about sub-bass necessarily, but the mid-bass punch. Ifi iSilencer+ improves the bass of the Mojo, but for my taste it is a bit lacking (again, don’t know if it’s amp related or just the HD650, though I do remember it punching harder 2 years ago.)

It could also be my cable (Mogami 2893)

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back