Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jul 22, 2018 at 2:29 AM Post #36,931 of 42,765
I have a shanlinh me and just gotten a mjo but I can't get the coaxial to work. I'm using fiio l28. something is wrong?

The FiiO l28 is specifically wired for FiiO players that have a shared 3.5mm line-out / coaxial output. This wiring is unique to FiiO’s modern players so the Shanling (I’m guessing you meant Shanling) coaxial port will not ‘see’ the coaxial signal to output to the Mojo.

Jul 23, 2018 at 2:52 AM Post #36,933 of 42,765
Shanling M2 and Fiio (X5II and newer) Players share the same configuration for Coaxial out on the Player side.
The thing is L28 is designed for Fiio's Q5's coaxial input not mojo.
You will need this cable for Mojo.

https://penonaudio.com/3.5mm-coaxial-cable-for-chord-mojo-dap.html
Choose - 4 pole plug option.

3.5mm 4-pole plug Compatible music player :

• FiiO X3II X3III X5II X5III X7 X7II
  • AIGO HO6
  • Shanling M5 M2
  • Luxury and Precision L5PRO L3 L3PRO

Jul 23, 2018 at 8:24 AM Post #36,934 of 42,765
Appreciate your help!

Shanling M2 and Fiio (X5II and newer) Players share the same configuration for Coaxial out on the Player side.
The thing is L28 is designed for Fiio's Q5's coaxial input not mojo.
You will need this cable for Mojo.

https://penonaudio.com/3.5mm-coaxial-cable-for-chord-mojo-dap.html
Choose - 4 pole plug option.

3.5mm 4-pole plug Compatible music player :

• FiiO X3II X3III X5II X5III X7 X7II
  • AIGO HO6
  • Shanling M5 M2
  • Luxury and Precision L5PRO L3 L3PRO

Jul 23, 2018 at 11:28 PM Post #36,935 of 42,765

Oops! I posted before I was fully aware. :)

Does the M2 also have a shared line-out / coaxial, or do they just have the coaxial ground on the R2 pole and the signal on the sleeve like FiiO? I’d have recommended the Penon cable if I looked in to it further.

My apologies @kuki_junior!

Jul 24, 2018 at 2:15 AM Post #36,937 of 42,765
Shanling M5/M2 and Fiio use the same pin-outs in TRRS (for SPDIF) of their shared COAX/LO port.
8853663_thumb.jpg

Image Credit: @miketlse

shanling-m2-black-dap-dac-cs4398-32bit192khz-dsd.jpg

Jul 24, 2018 at 5:00 AM Post #36,938 of 42,765
Shanling M5/M2 and Fiio use the same pin-outs in TRRS (for SPDIF) of their shared COAX/LO port.
8853663_thumb.jpg

Image Credit: @miketlse

shanling-m2-black-dap-dac-cs4398-32bit192khz-dsd.jpg
I borrowed the image from the FAQ in post #3. Here are the more complete details from the FAQ.

Here are the signal paths for an appropriate Co-Axial cable to connect Fiio X3ii and X5ii DAPs to Mojos Co-Axial digital input:

(pin-out identities based upon these: www.head-fi.org/t/784602/14985#post_12467535 )

IMPORTANT: James (CEO of Fiio) has privately confirmed to me that the above diagram is definitely correct for X3ii, X5ii, and X7

Alternatively, if you wish to use a stereo TRS plug at the Mojo end (instead of the mono TS plug in the above picture, which is really all that is required), then the pin connections would be as follows:

(pin-out identities based upon this: www.head-fi.org/t/784602/18675#post_12651727)

Lately, I have been recommending a certain type of TRS Connector(or Plug) for the coaxial cable to connect a Fiio X3ii/X5ii/X7 to a Mojo, and it appears to be causing some confusion here. Hopefully this post will help clarify this confusion.

PLEASE NOTE: This post only applies to Fiio X3 2nd Gen, X5 2nd Gen and X7 devices. Before we get into the topic, here is a picture to understand what TS, TRS, TRRS Connectors are:

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2018 at 1:30 PM Post #36,939 of 42,765
I just bought a Chord Mojo that I will listen to soon on a Hifiman Edition X v2 headset with Deezer streaming on iPhone 6s and MacBook Pro. I wanted to know if it was possible to fully benefit from BitPerfect with streaming Deezer on iPhone or MacBook Pro without adding driver or software. If not, what should I do?
thank you very much

Jul 24, 2018 at 1:43 PM Post #36,940 of 42,765
I just bought a Chord Mojo that I will listen to soon on a Hifiman Edition X v2 headset with Deezer streaming on iPhone 6s and MacBook Pro. I wanted to know if it was possible to fully benefit from BitPerfect with streaming Deezer on iPhone or MacBook Pro without adding driver or software. If not, what should I do?
thank you very much
Hello Jaques,

There is a section devoted to connecting/using the Mojo with Apple devices, in the FAQ in post #3.
I suggest read that section of the FAQ first, and see if it answers your questions.
If the answer is not in the FAQ, then we can probably find it somewhere in the thread.

IMPORTANT!: Please be careful with the iOS public betas - they can cause crackling sounds when using Mojo with the CCK

(NB: please also view the VIDEOS section!)

IMPORTANT : It is YOUR responsibility to make sure that the cable you are buying correctly fits the connectors on your equipment. None of these links are official endorsements.

If you dislike using the Apple CCK connector, there are some 3rd-party cables which circumvent this, and thereby allow you to use a single cable. However, they are not Apple-certified, so there is a small risk that Apple may find a way to stop them working, in a future iOS update. At this point in time, though (iOS 9.3), many people are successfully using them. Ultimately, please do your own research before buying/trying any of these CCK-circumvention cables!!

1. Also of interest: www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread-please-read-the-3rd-post/10860#post_12323045

Please note: Chord Electronics does not specifically endorse any cables which seek to circumvent the CCK, so cannot be held responsible for any issues arising therefrom.

1. If you have problems with intermittent connection, read this and please note that even genuine Apple CCK lightning cables can sometimes be faulty

Mojo owners using iOS will need to use a software app, in order to output Hi-Res audio through the Lightning connection. There are a few options:

1. Onkyo HF Player ($10 for HD Version)

1. HiBy Music (free)

Jul 24, 2018 at 1:50 PM Post #36,941 of 42,765
FWIW, the I use the coax connector from my old X5 gen 1 with the Mojo and it works fine.

Jul 25, 2018 at 6:06 AM Post #36,942 of 42,765
Hi fresh hand here. I own an Etymotic ER4SR and normally I use it with Samsung S8 and my old iPhone6. I have heard mojo is a dac with great value of money so I decided to stack it with my unused ip6 so I can both stream with wifi and it won't encounter the roaming signal issue. I have some questions below:
1. It seems most mojo owners pair it with a extra amp cuz the default one not good enough. Any recommend of an amp around 150usd to pair with mojo and er4sr? I listen to like 80% pop (mainly female singers) and 20% rock.
2. Is there really a big difference between the coaxial input and usd input of mojo? Cuz some people suggest better to buy a dap rathe than mojo if not use the coaxial input.

Thanks a lot~

Jul 25, 2018 at 6:24 AM Post #36,943 of 42,765
Hi fresh hand here. I own an Etymotic ER4SR and normally I use it with Samsung S8 and my old iPhone6. I have heard mojo is a dac with great value of money so I decided to stack it with my unused ip6 so I can both stream with wifi and it won't encounter the roaming signal issue. I have some questions below:
1. It seems most mojo owners pair it with a extra amp cuz the default one not good enough. Any recommend of an amp around 150usd to pair with mojo and er4sr? I listen to like 80% pop (mainly female singers) and 20% rock.
2. Is there really a big difference between the coaxial input and usd input of mojo? Cuz some people suggest better to buy a dap rathe than mojo if not use the coaxial input.

Thanks a lot~

Welcome to the Mojo world :ksc75smile:
I don't know how you got the impression that most Mojo owners are using an extra amp. From what I read only a few are - and mainly because they PREFER adding a certain sound signature to the Mojo sound.
The amp inside the Mojo is clean and powerful, and can drive anything but the most demanding headphones.

Also point 2 I have never heard, and sounds like "misinformed" at best - have used the Mojo with both coaxial and USB, and it always sounds great.

Jul 25, 2018 at 6:39 AM Post #36,944 of 42,765

Thanks a lot~
I think the large majority of Mojo owners feel no need to add an external amp.
The Mojo does not contain a conventional amp - the output is taken directly from the DAC output, so the sound signature is neutral, and contains none of the coloration that you can get with some amplifiers.

Having said that two scenarios which can benefit from an amplifier:
  • some owners do feel that the Mojo does not drive planar magnetic headphones well, so they add an amp
  • some owners who prefer listening to music with a heavily boosted bass signature, do not enjoy the neutral sound signature of the Mojo, so they add an amp
Some owners have posted about using Etymotic ER4SR with no issues, so my expectation is that you will be fine. My suggestion is that you start with just the Mojo and Etymotic ER4SR, and don't rush to spend money on another amp, until you have had a chance to listen, and decide if you need more bass.

Iphones can generate a lot of EMI, which the Mojo picks up, which can cause issues for the USB input, so coaxial may be worth exploring. There is information about cables in the FAQ in post #3.
An alternative option is to use a DAP like the Shanling M0 or M1 to store music on a SD card, then connect to the Mojo via USB.

Jul 25, 2018 at 8:30 AM Post #36,945 of 42,765
The Mojo does not contain a conventional amp - the output is taken directly from the DAC output, so the sound signature is neutral, and contains none of the coloration that you can get with some amplifiers.
Excellent points from @surfgeorge and @miketlse One clarification on Mojo’s output: it is integrated into the D-to-A conversion and so will be LESS colored and should be more neutral and transparent, imparting less of its own coloration, which I believe is true. But there is necessarily still some coloration from the analog stage, otherwise Mojo, Hugo, Higo2 and Dave would all sound the same, and they don’t. But it’s an excellent unit with very high value for the cost!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back