Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Oct 15, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #347 of 42,765

I am existing Hugo owner. I feel no angst, annoyance or concerns in case the Mojo's sound is better or really close to Hugo's . But as the Mojo story is unfolding hour by hour - just excitement and interest in how Chord have put together this little marvel.

Good luck to the new Mojo owners - I may become one of them as well, but I won't be selling its bigger brother.:D

Oct 15, 2015 at 3:00 PM Post #348 of 42,765
I'm so curious about this thing. I have a next gen AK100II and am really looking forward to the sound connected through optical.
Anyone try this before?

I'm so happy I work in a store where we do Chord Electronics,
but I'm curious if anyone did this test.

I won't get to test it for a couple of weeks but it would be the perfect answer for my AK100II
since it's not the last word with my Customart H8Pro.

Thanks in advance.

Oct 15, 2015 at 3:03 PM Post #349 of 42,765
Optical specifically with the AK or generally?

I'm using it with the QP1R optically...

Oct 15, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #350 of 42,765
For the questions regarding ALAC. Yes, it plays ALAC. Actually no it doesn't. The MoJo does not do the file decoding but receives the decoded digital signal from the player it is connected to (DAP, laptop, etc.). So yes when I'm feeding the MoJo's SPDIF coaxial input from my X5ii, or USB input from my MacBook Pro it plays all formats including ALAC and displays the correct sample rate colour as well. Hope this helps.

Ps. On the other hand with a sd card accessory planned maybe it does decode music files. Hmmmmmmmm.

Oct 15, 2015 at 3:40 PM Post #352 of 42,765
Disclaimer: I've heard the Hugo only a couple times at meet and TBH it wasn't anything that really struck a "chord" with me. 
redface.gif

Today I spend only about 15 minutes at lunch with my good friend Purk auditioning the Mojo. The only headphone at my disposal was the hd800. Given the difficulty in driving this headphone, my expectations were not very high. To say that I was taken by surprise would be an understatement. I have heard many very good amps with the hd800 that have come up short to making the hd800 sound musical and engagement. Does the Mojo drive the hd800 to the point of being musical and engaging? Absolutely!! I could hardly believe the richness and wonderful timbre coming from this fussy headphone. 

I went through an assortment of only about five tracks. They all impressed on the Mojo. Now, don't get me wrong. It wasn't perfect. The sound stage was slightly compressed and there was a bit less micro detail than some of the higher end desktop amps that I've used with the hd800. But man, this little portable delivers in a big way. 

Oct 15, 2015 at 3:41 PM Post #353 of 42,765
@

It depends on the music player of your smartphone / DAP / PC / Mac.

Thank you guys, would like to pair it (initially) with my Sony Xperia Z5Compact.

Oct 15, 2015 at 3:52 PM Post #354 of 42,765
  If I upgrade from the Hugo what kind of benefits could I expect? Is the Mojo in a different league or just a little bit better?

I don't think  mojo is an upgrade from the Hugo.  I don't Chord would make it so cheap if it was an upgrade to the Hugo.
biggrin.gif

Oct 15, 2015 at 3:55 PM Post #355 of 42,765
It's arguably an upgrade to the sub-£1000 ($1500) pocket DAC-Amp marketplace, though.

...and a rather strong argument, at that.

Oct 15, 2015 at 3:59 PM Post #357 of 42,765
I may get an opportunity to audition the mojo in my home soon. I'd like to compare it against my desktop amps ( mjolnir 2 and Questyle cma800r ). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back