Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Oct 20, 2017 at 8:11 PM Post #34,111 of 42,765
Have you tried a different charging cable?

Some charging cables have a relatively high resistance, which may cause issues with charging current

Oct 20, 2017 at 8:16 PM Post #34,112 of 42,765
Have you tried a different charging cable?

Some charging cables have a relatively high resistance, which may cause issues with charging current
Yep, tried multiple cables as well. No luck. I seriously doubt that it's the charger or the cable after trying many different combinations. They all charge the mojo as expected when it's not in use. Seems something went wrong with the internal charging circuit that controls when it should charge.

Oct 20, 2017 at 8:26 PM Post #34,115 of 42,765
You need a good quality 5V, 2A charger with a good cable. Some of these products are weaker than advertised. The Mojo needs juice.

I've been using an Anker 5V 2A charger with a good cable and this worked well for 3 months.

Once this started happening, my first thought was the charger was going bad so I replaced it with a Samsung 5V 2A charger that I have laying around. When that didn't help, I tried a RavPower 2.4 amp charger as well. None of these made any difference.

Oct 20, 2017 at 8:52 PM Post #34,116 of 42,765
I don’t think it has anything to do with the charger, cable, or such. Likely the battery is bunk after leaving it plugged in 24/7. This happens with all lithium batteries if left plugged in and at near full charge for extended periods of time. Indeed almost every single report of a Mojo battery failure has been from being plugged in 24/7.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2017 at 8:57 PM Post #34,118 of 42,765
I don’t think it has anything to do with the charger, cable, or such. Likely the battery is bunk after leaving it plugged in 24/7. This happens with all lithium batteries if left plugged in and at near full charge for extended periods of time. Indeed almost every single report of a Mojo battery failure has been from being plugged in 24/7.

This is what I am afraid of, and one of the reasons I sold my Mojo. I kept my battery plugged in 24/7.

Oct 20, 2017 at 9:03 PM Post #34,119 of 42,765

We both know it is possible that the battery may need replacing, but it's always wise to consider less drastic options, to begin with, whilst troubleshooting.

@ jimm2 : are you the original owner of your Mojo, since new?

Oct 20, 2017 at 9:36 PM Post #34,120 of 42,765
We both know it is possible that the battery may need replacing, but it's always wise to consider less drastic options, to begin with, whilst troubleshooting.

@ jimm2 : are you the original owner of your Mojo, since new?

I'm the 2nd owner so can't say for sure how much use it had before I got it but it wasn't very old according to the receipt.

Unless there are other suggestions to try besides charger and cable, I guess I'll have to send it in for repair and get something else for the desktop. Too bad, really like the mojo. I didn't expect it to last forever but was hoping I could get a year or two out of it.

Oct 20, 2017 at 9:46 PM Post #34,121 of 42,765

Yes, of course, but it should be repeated, IMO, for something as simple as removing a plug when you don't use the thing. Hopefully future readers can benefit.

Oct 20, 2017 at 9:57 PM Post #34,123 of 42,765
From what I recall reading, the Chord rep claimed it was OK to use plugged in 24/7. Is that not correct?

Yes, that is what they said... However, the Mojo is not immune to the effects of lithium batteries shortcomings. I've posted about it many times in this thread with links to sources like Battery University which explain why lithium batteries do not fair well when kept near a full charge (4.10V and above per cel). It's stressful for the battery and more detrimental for the lifespan of the battery than charging cycles. Even the Hugo2's charging scheme was re-worked to avoid this issue. So yeah, the Mojo shouldn't be left on the charger 24/7.

Edit: To be clear, using the device while plugged-in is different than having it left plugged in all the time. My advice is simply unplug the device when not using it and it doesn't need a charge. Mine was sent to me for review since before the launch day and I still get 8-9 hours playback time.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2017 at 10:07 PM Post #34,124 of 42,765
It's also important to remember that you are the second owner of your Mojo, jimm2, and, unfortunately, there is no way of knowing how it was treated by the original owner.

By happenstance, Hooster's comments are a perfect case-in-point:

This is what I am afraid of, and one of the reasons I sold my Mojo. I kept my battery plugged in 24/7.

Even 2 brand-new Mojos may be treated differently by each owner - even if they both leave them plugged-in 24-7, the batteries may still be exposed to different charge and discharge cycles, different charge and/or discharge current, etc. etc.

So many possible variables.

In any case, you should be able to obtain a new battery via your local Chord dealer (albeit not under warranty)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back