Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Oct 21, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #34,141 of 42,765
That is not just your question, I'm sure lots of people who's Mojo is no longer under warranty and who are not technically challenged would like to know the answer. Having these unpleasant stories about battery dying and then looking for ways to resurrect it... I'd buy a spare battery right now and change it when I need to, my Mojo is about 2 years old and I do run it in desktop mode quite often.

Please let us change a battery without figuring out where and how to send it for $$$ battery replacement!!!
There are already several posts in this thread, where chord state that they will be happy to supply individual batteries to owners. As @Mython mentioned, postal restrictions mean that it is difficult to mail individual batteries to owners, so the batteries have to be collected from the dealer.
Once you have the battery, a DIY replacement is straightforward. Just unscrew the base plate of the case, then look at this diagram https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...in-1st-post-◄★☆.831347/page-141#post-13759945 . The battery is connected by a short cable and plug, so unplugging the old battery and then plugging in the replacement battery, should be straightforward. Then just screw the two halves of the case together.

Oct 21, 2017 at 12:06 PM Post #34,142 of 42,765
I'm a bit confused. Mython's post says this -

"The most likely scenario is that your device will need to be returned to a service center - not just because some soldering may be required (preferably with anti-static precautions during the procedure), but also because sending individual lithium cells contravenes postal regulations in many countries, these days."

My questions is this - If I live near a Chord dealer, should I expect that they will sell me a replacement battery without installation costs that I can pick up and replace myself (voiding any warranty of course)?

Oct 21, 2017 at 12:42 PM Post #34,144 of 42,765

"The most likely scenario is that your device will need to be returned to a service center - not just because some soldering may be required (preferably with anti-static precautions during the procedure), but also because sending individual lithium cells contravenes postal regulations in many countries, these days."

My questions is this - If I live near a Chord dealer, should I expect that they will sell me a replacement battery without installation costs that I can pick up and replace myself (voiding any warranty of course)?
During the two years that the Mojo has been on sale, the battery replacement options seem to have evolved/expanded to become:
  1. The default of returning your Mojo through the dealer, who then forwards it to the service centre
  2. If the owner is happy to perform a DIY repair, then either PM @Mython or @Mojo ideas , who will then facilitate the arrangements for sending the battery to the dealer. You then collect the battery from the dealer, without any additional costs.
  3. Some customer focused dealers are happy to perform the DIY repair free of charge (lets face it, the DIY repair should only take 5 minutes, then leave the Mojo charging for a few hours, and switch on to check that the charging circuit has worked ok)
There have been several posts describing options 2 and 3 proceding smoothly.
Hope this answers your question.

Oct 21, 2017 at 1:44 PM Post #34,147 of 42,765

To clarify - it wasn't my intention to imply that soldering absolutely will be necessary, but that it might be, depending on the condition of the Mojo in question, which will vary from one individual to another. Additionally, many Mojo owners lack experience with disassembling and servicing electronic devices, even though, to others, a simple disassembly, battery swap, and reassembly, will pose no signficiant challenge.
More than anything else, my remark that "the most likely scenario is that your device will need to be returned to a service center" was a <broad statement> taking into account the many owners lacking confidence or skills and the fact that postal restrictions can be severe, regarding postal of lithium cells that are not being shipped within the device for which they are intended.

Apologies if you found that ambiguous or confusing, but the good news is that Chord and their distribution network will help you obtain a replacement cell for Mojo (and, to confirm, it is a specific cell, of a higher specification than the majority of generic cells floating around in the marketplace). However, there may be circumstances under which some dealers may be unable to send a cell directly to you, through no fault of theirs, or of Chord's. In such circumstances, it might prove necessary for you to travel in order to obtain one, or, alternatively, to send your Mojo for a cell replacement, since postal restrictions generally allow shipment of lithium cells provided they are within the device for which they are intended. It's only fair that you understand these postal restrictions may affect your situation, rather than feeling aggrieved at Chord, if they do.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2017 at 2:37 PM Post #34,148 of 42,765
There are already several posts in this thread, where chord state that they will be happy to supply individual batteries to owners. As @Mython mentioned, postal restrictions mean that it is difficult to mail individual batteries to owners, so the batteries have to be collected from the dealer.
Once you have the battery, a DIY replacement is straightforward. Just unscrew the base plate of the case, then look at this diagram https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chord-electronics-☆-poly-☆-advanced-wireless-microsd-module-for-mojo-☆★►specs-in-1st-post-◄★☆.831347/page-141#post-13759945 . The battery is connected by a short cable and plug, so unplugging the old battery and then plugging in the replacement battery, should be straightforward. Then just screw the two halves of the case together.
If this is so straight forward, why so many people keep asking for the same thing?
If it was truly that simple, there would be a link in infamous Post #3 how to purchase a battery, not search through 2K+ of posts, message somebody and hope for the best.

Oct 21, 2017 at 3:20 PM Post #34,150 of 42,765
Certainly:

I can no longer edit posts #1, #2, #3 because when the entire forum was migrated to a different platform, some functionality was lost. For example, 1) although the 'spoiler' function still works, it doesn't, IMO, work as well as it used to, 2) all quotations are now truncated to an absurd degree, which makes navigating the wealth of information more difficult, and, 3) most importantly, the new platform won't allow me to edit such a large amount of information, so any attempt on my part (and believe me, I have tried) to edit one of those long posts leads to an error when I submit, telling me the document is too long to submit. So, rather than risk losing information, I am in a stalemate with the forum platform and am having to just leave it as-is.

Although this does mean there are a few things, every now & then, that I'd like to add, I console myself that there's more than 2 years of detailed information collated there, so it covers the majority of bases, to help newcomers get up&running with Mojo. In my defence, I don't think you'll find many products on Head-fi that have more information distilled in one place, in their specific threads, so, apologies if it doesn't contain everything, but I hope it helps you somewhat, with other Mojo topics.

Oct 22, 2017 at 12:49 AM Post #34,154 of 42,765
I too am wondering if mojo 2 is even in R&D?

No it's not even at the pre ideas stage yet. Mojo's sound quality and musicality, at it's price point, I think is perfect, and you can't improve on perfection... What I mean by this, is that anything I can possibly do today to improve musicality or SQ would cost many more $$$ - and that would defeat the point of Mojo.

Mojo is the design I celebrate the most - getting state of the art measurements, sound quality, and musicality in a cost effective design is not easy...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back