Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Oct 21, 2017 at 12:22 AM Post #34,126 of 42,765
Same issue here. The mojo worked great for about 3 months plugged in 24/7 while using as a desktop dac. Then all of a sudden, it starts shutting down by itself every few days. When I check, the battery is dead. So I take it offline and charge it for 10 hours and plug it back in. Works fine for a few days then it shuts down again. Doesn't seem to be charging anymore while it's in use. I tried multiple 2 amp chargers and usb cables, no change.

Seems like I'm not alone with this problem. I guess I should've listened to my common sense that said don't use a battery powered dac for the desktop but most online info said it would be fine in this situation so I went ahead. Live and learn.

Thanks for continuing the talk about 24/7 Dac use, battery etc

Its very annoying being told by Chord that Mojo is good to be used 24/7 and having people who know about the battery more say, it will die and being on the 2nd mojo myself having it happen again.

P.S

1) Bleeding: im still trying to bleed it of juice an hour after it turns off for low battery, it still got juice left to turn on, so im here like flicking its switch constantly..

2) Im going to try disconnecting the power cable every few hours for 10 seconds and plugging it back in, to try and trigger it to recharge, i believe it was suggested somewhere.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2017 at 12:34 AM Post #34,127 of 42,765
Thanks for continuing the talk about 24/7 Dac use, battery etc

Its very annoying being told by Chord that Mojo is good to be used 24/7 and having people who know about the battery more say, it will die and being on the 2nd mojo myself having it happen again.

I'm curious why you're on your second Mojo? Even if you did fry your battery of your first one, a battery replacement is a hell of a lot cheaper than a new mojo... You can even do it yourself fairly easily, if you're that way inclined...

Oct 21, 2017 at 12:46 AM Post #34,128 of 42,765
I'm curious why you're on your second Mojo? Even if you did fry your battery of your first one, a battery replacement is a hell of a lot cheaper than a new mojo... You can even do it yourself fairly easily, if you're that way inclined...

mojo #1 had the 24/7 battery issue aswell, chord said exchange it on amazon, 5 months later back to same issue.

Oct 21, 2017 at 12:53 AM Post #34,129 of 42,765
mojo #1 had the 24/7 battery issue aswell, chord said exchange it on amazon, 5 months later back to same issue.

I see... At least it was a free replacement... I wonder if you can do the same again, and just not leave it plugged in all the time again? I've had my mojo nigh on two years (and I bought it secondhand)... I use it at least one-two hours every day, and recharge on a daily basis, and my battery still holds charge well...

Oct 21, 2017 at 12:57 AM Post #34,130 of 42,765
I see... At least it was a free replacement... I wonder if you can do the same again, and just not leave it plugged in all the time again? I've had my mojo nigh on two years (and I bought it secondhand)... I use it at least one-two hours every day, and recharge on a daily basis, and my battery still holds charge well...

its primary function is a dac, it will be useless to me if its not, i'd rather throw it out the window if chord cant rectify this problem, i've emailed them see what they say. if they can take the battery out i would love that, its not super easy, it requires a skilled engineer, and i would reckon they wont allow it, but its something they might be able to do fingers crossed.

other wise i'll go dragonfly red with a magni 2

p.s. 1) bleeding, it turns itself on now, without me pressing.. scary

Im gonna go play some sad music on my hdmi tv connection :*(

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2017 at 2:21 AM Post #34,131 of 42,765
My Mojo has been plugged in pretty much 24/7 for about a year now, and I have no issues with the battery.

The charging cable is hooked up to my PC monitor though, so I guess when I switch off the PC the display powers off too, thus not really charging Mojo all the time.

Oct 21, 2017 at 3:22 AM Post #34,132 of 42,765
its primary function is a dac, it will be useless to me if its not, i'd rather throw it out the window if chord cant rectify this problem :*(

I've got a microsonore streamer which has a battery power supply, as the noise floor with batteries is stunningly low... I plug it in when I need it, and unplug it (and recharge) when I've finished...it's not cumbersome at all... Throwing the Mojo out the window rather than going through this simple process seems a little extreme... I'll take it off your hands, instead!

Oh and changing the battery is not that hard... You certainly don't need to be an engineer! Any electrical engineer would do it for you though, for peanuts, if you're not confident doing it yourself, (obviously going outside of chord would void the warranty though...)

Oct 21, 2017 at 4:07 AM Post #34,133 of 42,765
1) carry out initial full charge.

2) plug mojo into charger and play as long as you like. i played 13 hours the other day.

3) at start full charge blue light. soon you see white light=charging while playing.

4) when finished turn mojo off but still plugged into charger.

5) i notice after a few minutes charger white light goes off so mojo fully charged. mojo is now off and connected to a charger which is also off.

6) next time mojo is switched on blue light shows you are starting with a full charge. repeat above steps and forget that the charger even exists. only disconnect charger from mojo if you leave home for more than a day or two or longer for safety reasons. from time to time full discharge/charge cycle. very simple. okay to leave plugged in 24/7 imho.

Oct 21, 2017 at 10:18 AM Post #34,134 of 42,765
Its very annoying being told by Chord that Mojo is good to be used 24/7 and having people who know about the battery more say, it will die and being on the 2nd mojo myself having it happen again..

I will be annoyed when I have to change my battery, too. But I do recognize that there is a difference between being told you CAN do someth8ng (as opposed to Chord saying you must not) and being told you may with no ill effects at all. It is unreasonable to think you can use something at the limits of its tolerances and not have some diminishment of lifespan. If the convenience of leaving it plugged in is worth it, the trade off may be shorter battery life.

Oct 21, 2017 at 11:00 AM Post #34,135 of 42,765
Oh and changing the battery is not that hard... You certainly don't need to be an engineer! Any electrical engineer would do it for you though, for peanuts, if you're not confident doing it yourself, (obviously going outside of chord would void the warranty though...)

Do you know of a replacement battery for the mojo that can be purchased? I thought the mojo had a custom battery with no direct replacement and Chord would not sell it to you directly.

Oct 21, 2017 at 11:07 AM Post #34,136 of 42,765
Oct 21, 2017 at 11:15 AM Post #34,137 of 42,765

Thanks but unless I missed it isn't that post just stating that you need to return your mojo to a Chord service center for a battery replacement?

My question is can a replacement battery be purchased directly without returning the device to Chord. Yourmomm stated that users can easily replace their battery outside of sending it back to Chord so it sounds like he has knowledge of a replacement battery that can be purchased by owners.

Oct 21, 2017 at 11:28 AM Post #34,138 of 42,765
My question is can a replacement battery be purchased directly without returning the device to Chord. Yourmomm stated that users can easily replace their battery outside of sending it back to Chord so it sounds like he has knowledge of a replacement battery that can be purchased by owners.

That is not just your question, I'm sure lots of people who's Mojo is no longer under warranty and who are not technically challenged would like to know the answer. Having these unpleasant stories about battery dying and then looking for ways to resurrect it... I'd buy a spare battery right now and change it when I need to, my Mojo is about 2 years old and I do run it in desktop mode quite often.

Please let us change a battery without figuring out where and how to send it for $$$ battery replacement!!!

Oct 21, 2017 at 11:45 AM Post #34,139 of 42,765
I believe the original marketing info about the Mojo, was that Chord used a special (does that mean custom?) high temperature battery.
If it is custom made for them, it may not be easy to purchase, outside of ordering from Chord.

Oct 21, 2017 at 11:45 AM Post #34,140 of 42,765
No it's fine to leave it plugged in all the time but if your charging from an unplugged lap top you may drain the lap tops batteries. But if your using just the data USB connection ithe mojo takes no power from the connected device. John F.

When I read this, my impression is that a Chord representative is saying there is no detrimental effect to leaving the battery plugged in 24/7. I can only speak for myself but that's why I bought it for desktop 24/7 use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back