Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Apr 7, 2017 at 3:19 PM Post #31,636 of 42,765
I see that the Poly is available for pre-order over at Moon, $629, yikes. Anyway, I saw the image below on the website. Label says the cable is a CCK but that doesn't look like the normal CCK that I've seen. When I download the image it says "chord-mojo-usb-butt-plate-iphone". Anyone have a clue what that is? Heck of a lot more user friendly than the standard CCK to USB connection which is my biggest beef I have about the Mojo. 

Apr 7, 2017 at 3:53 PM Post #31,637 of 42,765
I see that the Poly is available for pre-order over at Moon, $629, yikes. Anyway, I saw the image below on the website. Label says the cable is a CCK but that doesn't look like the normal CCK that I've seen. When I download the image it says "chord-mojo-usb-butt-plate-iphone". Anyone have a clue what that is? Heck of a lot more user friendly than the standard CCK to USB connection which is my biggest beef I have about the Mojo. 

Don't rush to buy until you have checked that the cable still works with the latest version of ioS.

Apr 7, 2017 at 4:31 PM Post #31,638 of 42,765
I have posted this before on the thread but if you want the only absolutely bullet proof cable to connect an iOS device to the Mojo get the Penon Audio Lightning to Micro USB Mojo Pure Silver Decoding Cable. It is pricey at $129 but it works flawlessly. I have been using it since iOS 9 without issue.
http://penonaudio.com/Lightning-Pure-Silver-Decoding-Cable

Apr 7, 2017 at 5:00 PM Post #31,639 of 42,765

That is the standard CCK cable from Apple, but the end is swallowed in the butt plate accessory for better ergonomics. This is not the Poly, just an add on to make the Mojo more stackable with phones and includes a port for making the standard CCK more user friendly.

Apr 7, 2017 at 6:22 PM Post #31,640 of 42,765

Thanks RELIC and Spook, very helpful. Love the sound of the Mojo but I'm a complete spaz on an airplane trying to manage the CCK/USB/Mojo monster so really want to get this thing under control.

I was thinking about upgrading the USB cable to a Dragon anyway, because, why not. So $129 for a more ergonomic solution wouldn't be so bad. Penonaudio cable similar to a Blue/Black Dragon?

Thanks

Apr 7, 2017 at 7:22 PM Post #31,641 of 42,765
Thanks RELIC and Spook, very helpful. Love the sound of the Mojo but I'm a complete spaz on an airplane trying to manage the CCK/USB/Mojo monster so really want to get this thing under control.

I was thinking about upgrading the USB cable to a Dragon anyway, because, why not. So $129 for a more ergonomic solution wouldn't be so bad. Penonaudio cable similar to a Blue/Black Dragon?

Thanks

Not only it the Penon one of the smallest cable solutions it is made with 4n silver litz wire. Not to spark a cable war but the sound is better (yes I know it is just transmitting 0/1 but...). The Black or Blue Dragon still requires a CCK cable as they are just USB cables. The Penon Lightning is one cable.

I just ordered the new L-shaped for $136 because of the ergonomics. My old one becomes my back up, I guess.

p.s. If anyone is willing to wait 10 days or so until I have my new one, I would be willing to sell my old one for $70 CONUS shipping free. PM if you are interested.

Apr 7, 2017 at 7:42 PM Post #31,643 of 42,765
Iv got a question i dont think anyone has asked;

This is the Mojo-Poly case but does the poly have identical measurements to the extender module?

It would make it look much nicer if it was all in one case with a dap/phone on top...

Apr 7, 2017 at 11:24 PM Post #31,644 of 42,765
  Iv got a question i dont think anyone has asked;

This is the Mojo-Poly case but does the poly have identical measurements to the extender module?

It would make it look much nicer if it was all in one case with a dap/phone on top...

I asked in the poly thread a few weeks ago and John Franks responded "Yes":)

Apr 8, 2017 at 2:07 PM Post #31,645 of 42,765
Same issue with iPad Mini 2 and 10.3.1 but with Meenova Lighting to MicroUSB cable (http://www.meenova.com/st/p/lgtnmuc.html).
Tidal stops playing before first minute ends saying Mojo is not a compliant device.
This cable works properly with an iPod Touch 5G under iOS 9.3.1
When do you think there is a fix by Apple?

Apr 8, 2017 at 3:01 PM Post #31,646 of 42,765
Same issue with iPad Mini 2 and 10.3.1 but with Meenova Lighting to MicroUSB cable (http://www.meenova.com/st/p/lgtnmuc.html).

Tidal stops playing before first minute ends saying Mojo is not a compliant device.

Chord should have paid the licensing fee to use the Apple decryption chip as other big manufacturers have.

I've seen Chord state that they were worried Apple would steal their IP. Not so sure about that, they seem to be doing rather well with Beats. We "Audiophiles" tend to forget that we are an extremely small niche market.

In any case, I've had three Mojos and have grown increasingly frustrated with cumbersome CCK stacking and really tedious Android issues. I've gone for a Sony wm1a which "just works", sounds fantastic and has a very long battery life. If you can break away from the need for Tidal/Spotify there are some really elegant solutions out there.

I was hanging on for the Poly even though it appears to have serious design issues but the continued delays are too worrying.

The Mojo does sound great though !

Apr 8, 2017 at 5:24 PM Post #31,647 of 42,765

Chord should have paid the licensing fee to use the Apple decryption chip as other big manufacturers have.

I've seen Chord state that they were worried Apple would steal their IP. Not so sure about that, they seem to be doing rather well with Beats. We "Audiophiles" tend to forget that we are an extremely small niche market.

In any case, I've had three Mojos and have grown increasingly frustrated with cumbersome CCK stacking and really tedious Android issues. I've gone for a Sony wm1a which "just works", sounds fantastic and has a very long battery life. If you can break away from the need for Tidal/Spotify there are some really elegant solutions out there.

I was hanging on for the Poly even though it appears to have serious design issues but the continued delays are too worrying.

The Mojo does sound great though !

I beg to differ on some points:

• Apple own Beats, and are only interested in the music streaming business, and not the headphone design - so Apple own the IP and can do what they want with it.
  • Even Apple compliant companies like OPPO now find that their HA2 dac using hardware certification, will no longer connect to the Apple OS10.3.1 ecosystem. 
  • This post points out that it is not Chord IP at stake, but rather Rob Watts IP. http://www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-dac-amp-faq-in-3rd-post/27570#post_13098461 

Apr 8, 2017 at 5:38 PM Post #31,648 of 42,765
[quote name="corius"

![/quote]

How do you think the WM1A stacks up against the Mojo?

Apr 8, 2017 at 5:45 PM Post #31,649 of 42,765

• Apple own Beats, and are only interested in the music streaming business, and not the headphone design - so Apple own the IP and can do what they want with it.
  • Even Apple compliant companies like OPPO now find that their HA2 dac using hardware certification, will no longer connect to the Apple OS10.3.1 ecosystem. 
  • This post points out that it is not Chord IP at stake, but rather Rob Watts IP. http://www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-dac-amp-faq-in-3rd-post/27570#post_13098461 

That is exactly my point. Apple are using Beats market share to introduce cheap, good quality headphones with built in DACs to satisfy iPhone 7 users and their streaming services. Why on earth would they want expensive, low volume FPGA solutions.

I don't follow your IP comment. Are you saying Chord don't own the Mojo (and associated product ) IP but that it is owned by Rob Watts, and it is he who refused to license the Apple decoder technology? In any case the point is that the Mojo hasn't licensed the technology, and that makes for a poorer user experience.

Apr 8, 2017 at 6:04 PM Post #31,650 of 42,765

That is exactly my point. Apple are using Beats market share to introduce cheap, good quality headphones with built in DACs to satisfy iPhone 7 users and their streaming services. Why on earth would they want expensive, low volume FPGA solutions.

I don't follow your IP comment. Are you saying Chord don't own the Mojo (and associated product ) IP but that it is owned by Rob Watts, and it is he who refused to license the Apple decoder technology? In any case the point is that the Mojo hasn't licensed the technology, and that makes for a poorer user experience.

Rob Watts is the developer of the FPGA code, and owns the IP to that code. Chord cannot hand over his IP to Apple without his agreement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back