Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jan 28, 2017 at 7:37 PM Post #29,791 of 42,765
Can you share your findings?

I went to minidisc, these guys,for people in OZ, have this amazing place where they actually encourage people to sit down in their well laid out listening station a listen with Zero sales pressure. This is where I was able to audition the Chord Mojo.

Was going to buy the Andromeda outright, they sounded OK but was not the primary reference sound signature I usually seek first. Beyers and Shures had a very full midrange. Andros had a leaner mid. Beyers had exquisitely extended treble, very detailed, full bass. Gorgeous full mids, just an overall Very nice sound from top to bottom.

Jan 28, 2017 at 8:00 PM Post #29,792 of 42,765
Indeed subjective. To my ears, the 846 were the only IEMs I've tried that I felt were not worth their price. The subbass is outstanding, but the mid-bass leaves a lot to be desired. The treble is rolled off without an ounce of extension, the mids are lovely, but a little pushed. The soundstage is worse than my $75 wireless gym earbuds I use working out with...

But a fun part of this hobby *is* how subjective this all is. They are the king of isolation, however, which is very nice and the build quality is outstanding.

I used the se846 for a year and spent 850 for them at the time I purchased them.

I unfortunately didn't realize it was the worst buy I can do for that money. Whole they were decent, their price should be 350$ to 400. Nowadays lots are being sold for600 But boy the Mojo made it tolerable...worst bang for buck headphone. Offers nothing special.

Jan 28, 2017 at 9:02 PM Post #29,793 of 42,765
I disagree on the SE846. It needs some tweaking to sound at its best (equalizing anyway) and may not be the best match with the Mojo (which is prone to react somewhat problematic to low impedances in the treble, which the SE846 has).

There's a huge SE846 thread full of enthusiastic users, BTW, so it's effectively a matter of sonic preferences. I happen to appreciate its technical and musical performance, particularly with Hugo and DAVE, but even the FiiO X3 II makes it sing – my dream pairing on the go.

Jan 28, 2017 at 10:10 PM Post #29,794 of 42,765
I used the se846 for a year and spent 850 for them at the time I purchased them.

I unfortunately didn't realize it was the worst buy I can do for that money. Whole they were decent, their price should be 350$ to 400. Nowadays lots are being sold for600 But boy the Mojo made it tolerable...worst bang for buck headphone. Offers nothing special.

couldnt disagree more,the 846 is a wonderful IEM for the money.....

Jan 28, 2017 at 10:56 PM Post #29,796 of 42,765
All very subjective. The guys in Sydney, Minidisc...Amazing place...Laid out several IEMs to audition. I preferred both Beyer and Shure over the FOTM Andromeda.

Subjective ofcourse, imo its seriously lacking a lot of top end and the soundstage is too small so is a very congested boxed in sound, mids and bass are penomenal though.

Jan 29, 2017 at 1:34 AM Post #29,799 of 42,765
Wow. Lots of hate for the 846s...never heard them with the Mojo, but I'm sure I would have thoroughly enjoyed the combination. I really enjoyed them while I owned them.

I used them with Mojo for a while. The FR had way too much gain in the bass region without enough in the mids. The effect was that in vocals, everyone had a rumbling, bass-saturated voice. I also heard some distortion in the bass region. I ended up selling them to get the Andromeda, which I much prefer...

Jan 29, 2017 at 2:35 AM Post #29,800 of 42,765
After contacting Audioquest about fault cables for my nighthawks, they sent me a new cable. It appears to be TRRS, would this cable damage my mojo at all?

Is it a balanced connection TRRS, or TRRS with in-line remote control on the cable. If it's balanced TRRS don't use it. If it's TRRS for an in-line remote (play/pause) button on the cable it'll be fine.

Jan 29, 2017 at 3:54 AM Post #29,801 of 42,765
only if you use it outdoors the sound becomes balanced it's quite an incredible experience for an IEM but! If you'll be using it indoors as well or indoors only I would not recommend it due to the overpowering 'always on' bass.

But exactly that is one of the things I love about them....

You can always EQ things if you feel the need - bit that bass is pure love to me ears.

Jan 29, 2017 at 7:22 AM Post #29,803 of 42,765
I sort of finally came to the decision that I would buy a Sony A15 Walkman. I'd use it as a Walkman when out of the house, then with Mojo about the home. I went digging around in post three to find out about cables. Under a heading Cables How to Connect to Mojo > Connecting Mojo to Sony Devices > I found the cable recommended. A Sony WMC-NWH10 USB Conversion Cable for Hi Res Audio Output.

However this is not a cheap cable for a simple OTG USB cable. Secondly getting them in the UK is not easy either. All the ebay ones are from Japan, which means costly if needed to be returned. (Honestly it never rains but it pours.) There is one on Amazon.com, but again costly to return tracked from the UK if needed.

I really started falling for the Sony Walkman as it has excellent battery life when used on its own. Now I might have to reconsider a phone. It's difficult knowing which phones will work with Mojo as we have no list. I hate the idea of having to trawl through so many phone models, and finding out all the stuff I want to know. Like does it do HD-audio, is the battery replaceable, etc......Plus I don't really like the idea of dragging a fancy phone around just to play audio. Plus having to find out if its audio is any good before I buy it, (meaning when used without Mojo.)

NB. Thanks to the folks who answered my question on the Mojo screws. It was re-assuring to hear they were meant to be shiny and not painted black. I worried I had one that had been previously opened.

Jan 29, 2017 at 7:24 AM Post #29,804 of 42,765
I sort of finally came to the decision that I would buy a Sony A15 Walkman. I'd use it as a Walkman when out of the house, then with Mojo about the home. I went digging around in post three to find out about cables. Under a heading Cables How to Connect to Mojo > Connecting Mojo to Sony Devices > I found the cable recommended. A Sony WMC-NWH10 USB Conversion Cable for Hi Res Audio Output.

However this is not a cheap cable for a simple OTG USB cable. Secondly getting them in the UK is not easy either. All the ebay ones are from Japan, which means costly if needed to be returned. (Honestly it never rains but it pours.) There is one on Amazon.com, but again costly to return tracked from the UK if needed.

I really started falling for the Sony Walkman as it has excellent battery life when used on its own. Now I might have to reconsider a phone. It's difficult knowing which phones will work with Mojo as we have no list. I hate the idea of having to trawl through so many phone models, and finding out all the stuff I want to know. Like does it do HD-audio, is the battery replaceable, etc......Plus I don't really like the idea of dragging a fancy phone around just to play audio. Plus having to find out if its audio is any good before I buy it, (meaning when used without Mojo.)

[COLOR=000080]NB. Thanks to the folks who answered my question on the Mojo screws. It was re-assuring to hear they were meant to be shiny and not painted black. I worried I had one that had been previously opened.[/COLOR]
Battery on the Sony runs out faster with the Mojo.

Jan 29, 2017 at 9:22 AM Post #29,805 of 42,765
Is there any guarantee that Mojo will always work on iOS via official CCK cable?
Or could one day an official ios update just stop it?

It's not likely Apple would break one of its own adapters. If they did, the Mojo wouldn't be the only DAC that wouldn't work, and there would be a resulting uproar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back