Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jan 28, 2017 at 9:06 AM Post #29,761 of 42,765
Here's that list, by the way (or an earlier version of it?)

http://www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-dac-amp-faq-in-3rd-post/19620#post_12706423

Jan 28, 2017 at 9:29 AM Post #29,762 of 42,765
Hello all

I have been reading a lot on the Mojo and would be really interested to get it

As of today, I am using a Sony ZX1 +DAC/amp sony pha2 and a pair of 535
This setup gave hours of pleasure and I am quite happy about them but consider to upgrade with either Shure 846 or Mojo. And I see some of you have used either 535 or 846 with the Mojo

Could yoi please share your experience? Which one would you consider first?

Thanks!

Initially I was planning to get some 846, partly because there were many Mojo owners posting about great synergy, plus you could also tune the sound by choosing the best filter for your tastes.

However the Beyer AK T8ie caught my eye, and I eventually bought a pair of mk2.
I love the T8s, especially how they handle the fine detail in the mid and treble ranges. They are very tight and precise in the bass range as well, but lack the bass boost that many people prefer.
So they also have great synergy with the mojo, but may not suit everyones preferred sound signature.

Many other owners post about their favourite iems - the mojo has great synergy with quite a few iems, but which is best for you will depend on your preferred sound signature. On the forum, we can suggest a several iems for you to demo, and then select the best for you - there is no iem that is the best for all owners.

Jan 28, 2017 at 9:45 AM Post #29,763 of 42,765
Initially I was planning to get some 846, partly because there were many Mojo owners posting about great synergy, plus you could also tune the sound by choosing the best filter for your tastes.

However the Beyer AK T8ie caught my eye, and I eventually bought a pair of mk2.
I love the T8s, especially how they handle the fine detail in the mid and treble ranges. They are very tight and precise in the bass range as well, but lack the bass boost that many people prefer.
So they also have great synergy with the mojo, but may not suit everyones preferred sound signature.

Many other owners post about their favourite iems - the mojo has great synergy with quite a few iems, but which is best for you will depend on your preferred sound signature. On the forum, we can suggest a several iems for you to demo, and then select the best for you - there is no iem that is the best for all owners.

Weird. I thought the Beyer AK T8ie mkii had very full bass levels. Definitely the most musical IEM I heard to date. Stage sound or musical sound, SE846 or Beyer. I can't decide which to buy. Stage sound brings back fond memories. Musical can't be beat. Decisions decisions.

Jan 28, 2017 at 10:00 AM Post #29,764 of 42,765
Weird. I thought the Beyer AK T8ie mkii had very full bass levels. Definitely the most musical IEM I heard to date. Stage sound or musical sound, SE846 or Beyer. I can't decide which to buy. Stage sound brings back fond memories. Musical can't be beat. Decisions decisions.

The T8ies are now my preferred earphones, but just as @Peter Hyatt pointed out in the T8ie thread, they do have less bass boost than other headphones with Tesla drivers. Consequently at first they can sound very precise, but slightly bass light - but after a few days one gets used to the sound signature.
The T8ies are very musical, and very resolving, so with some live recordings one does start to hear the noises of other musicians picking up their bow, or a faint noise from the audience picking a glass up. The result is that one does feel like you are at the performance, and you start to turn your head to see who made the noise - any earphone that can beat that level of immersion in the performance, must be really special. 
regular_smile .gif

I do assume that electrostatics could improve the resolution slightly, but the cost would probably be eye-watering.
frown.gif

Jan 28, 2017 at 11:19 AM Post #29,767 of 42,765
Question about the screws on the bottom of the Mojo. Are they meant to be shiney because they are on my new Mojo? However I think they were painted black on  my old Mojo, but I might be wrong.

Long story: just wondering if this Mojo is one that's been opened at some time for some reason.

Thanks.

Jan 28, 2017 at 11:22 AM Post #29,768 of 42,765
I do assume that electrostatics could improve the resolution slightly, but the cost would probably be eye-watering.
frown.gif

There's at least one portable electrostat that's cheaper than the IEMs mentioned. (But it's not closed-back.)

https://www.staxusa.com/system/stax-srs-002.html
https://www.amazon.co.jp/STAX-スタックス-SRS-002-カナル型イヤースピーカー-SRS-002-スタックス/dp/B009QVK35G

Question about the screws on the bottom of the Mojo. Are they meant to be shiney because they are on my new Mojo? However I think they were painted black on  my old Mojo, but I might be wrong.

Long story: just wondering if this Mojo is one that's been opened at some time for some reason.

Thanks.

My Mojo has basic silver/chrome/whatever screws.

Jan 28, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #29,769 of 42,765
Can anyone tell me why my Optical Output sounds better (more punchy&clear) when using WASAPI (Exclusive Mode) in Tidal?

This only happens with Optical. When using USB Mojo sounds the same whether i activate or deactivate it.

Windows settings are (both USB device and Optical Device) @ 44.1 16Bit and source is obviously 44.1 16Bit too.

Jan 28, 2017 at 12:37 PM Post #29,770 of 42,765
The 846 is extremely underwhelming.

I would try or look into,

Campfire Audio Andromeda or Vega
64 Audio U8, U10, or U12
Noble K10
Fitear 334

All can be had for a grand or so used. Will outperform 846 all day.

Jan 28, 2017 at 1:40 PM Post #29,773 of 42,765
The 846 is extremely underwhelming.

I would try or look into,

Campfire Audio Andromeda or Vega
64 Audio U8, U10, or U12
Noble K10
Fitear 334

All can be had for a grand or so used. Will outperform 846 all day.

All very subjective. The guys in Sydney, Minidisc...Amazing place...Laid out several IEMs to audition. I preferred both Beyer and Shure over the FOTM Andromeda.

Jan 28, 2017 at 1:47 PM Post #29,774 of 42,765
As a high end transportable audio system it makes no sense to buy a dap simply as a storage device with a UI to select files to feed MOJO or HUGO 2. For me, my iPhone has limited storage and I don't want it to be more than a phone. I bought a QP1R hoping it would be the final 1 box solution for travel as it was advertised to have a powerful current driven amplifier to drive any headphone. I was disappointed with its amplifier section as it just didn't have enough headroom and needed maximum output to drive the Hifiman HEK to its potential with many recordings. So I ended up with an excellent little very powerful add on amp from iFi (micro iCan SE). When driven by the line out from the QP1R, the HEK sounds great but there is some coloration to the sound and the amp runs off an wall adapter without built in battery so really not a true portable solution.

After reading posts by Rob and knowing that no amplifier is needed to add more contamination to the signal from the DAC with the MOJO or HUGO, I was thinking of selling the QP1R but even if you add the poly as a server to store a large music library, you still need your iPhone as a UI. If it is well integrated with the HUGO2 and the output is reportedly greater than the MOJO, this could be a great solution to drive the
HEK since the DAVE appears to have more than enough power to drive all headphones and the HUGO2 has more power than the MOJO. There isn't yet a poly for the HUGO2 but if and when it is available, if it can stream TIDAL and store music without a dap/amp needed with perhaps a better user interface using a smart phone (since we have to carry our phones anyway) seems like a great solution. Not sure about battery life and if both the HUGO2 and poly have seperate batteries etc.

I hope Rob comes up with something that will solve the need for those with hard to drive planar type headphones as all current DAP/amps seem not to power the HEK to their potential, are way overpriced for the SQ compared to Chord dacs and lack ability to stream from TIDAL directly. The need to add another amp to a dap/amp to drive planars makes no sense to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back