Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Dec 9, 2016 at 5:11 AM Post #27,046 of 42,765
Apologies, I wasn't trying to imply it was. I just have a really hard time reconciling the opinion that the Mojo doesn't have enough power to drive headphones vs IEMs. Rob just posted in the Hugo thread on the matter and I whole heartily agree with him based on my listening experience. Of course preferences, usage scenarios, etc., not withstanding. YMMV.

:beerchug:

Edit: Which portable do you like to pair with the Mojo? Your Vorzuge pure ii+?
with Dynamic Driver iems mojo alone is perfect. With B&W P7 I pair it with the Duo or Arrow amp.

Dec 9, 2016 at 5:18 AM Post #27,047 of 42,765
Mojo really bring the best out of FAD FI-BA-SS! The mids are really awesome detailed, refined yet got a raw feel without coloration like Audio Technica ATH-EW9 (which is another epic earphones that female vocals audiophile love).

3lCSa5Q.jpg

Mojo does look good in its case.

@navydragon I am still thinking of getting a Sony DAP as file source. I want to be able to use the DAP without Mojo for out of the house. I think I don't want to go walking about with a Mojo outside. I mean at the least, I could lose it.

Dec 9, 2016 at 6:01 AM Post #27,048 of 42,765
I was wondering about the fr-response of the Moo recently. I looked in the third post and found graphs which showed it to have a flat response.

However I recall some graphs from ages ago that showed responses a little different. I remember them having a black background, but could not find these graphs in third post. Maybe I didn't look hard enough, but I don't know. I remember these graphs appearing in this thread way back in time. 

Anyway, now I have found these graphs on the Amazon.de website, and the first review of the Mojo. (I can't copy or save the pictures of the graphs to post here.) You'll have to check the link if you want to see, sorry. https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B0171LBE78/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These graphs show that the Mojo response is not flat and varies with different headphones.

I don't have an issue with the fr-response at all. However when you check the links of the graphs of the Mojo in the third post, they show flat-response. (Like this example - http://www.stereophile.com/content/chord-electronics-mojo-da-headphone-amplifier-measurements#Kv87gUazshRwodFk.97)

Does anyone therefor know which graphs are right. (If I recall correct, the black background graphs that I am quoting from Amazon.de review, were Rob Watts's. I might be wrong though.)

I need to point also that I realise that the graphs show the Mojo only to be out by small db. Nothing to worry about. Am just curious how we have different results.

Edited. Sorry I forgot the link for the Mojo on Amazon.de. Added it now.

Edit again: My Mojo just arrived from Amazon.de within one day and about fourteen hours, to the UK. Cheapest post system: fast or what!
basshead.gif

Dec 9, 2016 at 6:07 AM Post #27,049 of 42,765
I usen mine mostly with a Anker PowerPort 5 before problems started to appear and tried others as well https://www.anker.com/products/A2124222

1. Did you change the transducers (IEMs/CIEMs/headphones) you were using, just before you began experiencing charging problems? Did you change your listening habits to a louder SPL? If Mojo is being used with a demanding transducer load (lower impedance or less sensitive, or being driven to higher SPL, for example), there could be a possibility that it is discharging at a faster rate than it used to, even when plugged in. If it is reaching a heavily discharged state, then trying to charge it whilst it is still switched-on demands more current from the charger than trying to charge it whilst it is switched off or whilst it is switched-on but in a mostly-charged state.

1. Have you tried a different charging lead? As has been mentioned, some charging leads have a resistance value that can cause problems for chargers.

1. Have you tried using a basic, 'dumb' charger? I don't know the detailed specs of the Anker charger, but it might be throttling its output, and thus conflicting with the requirements of Mojos charging circuit. I am aware that the Anker charger can be successful with Mojo, but, for the sake of troubleshooting, please try a basic 1-2A 5V charger and see what happens.

Quote:

ROB - Now one of the safety circuits is a safety timer, and this is when the charger is in full charge mode. This timer is set to about 8 hours, and normally full charge mode takes 4 hours, when the unit is off. But when the unit is on and playing, there is a risk that the safety timer will be set, as it can take 12 hours to fully charge (from flashing red) and when playing music (for those 12 hours) at the same time. If the safety timer is set, then the battery LED will slowly flash white, and no further charging will take place. To reset the timer, just disconnect the charge USB, wait 10 seconds, and reconnect, and it will recommence charging.

This is likely the problem (safety timer) which is causing the Mojo randomly turning off.. unfortunately.. unplugging and plugging is only a temporary fix until it happen again. Is there a permanent solution?

Does Mojo stops flashing when fully charged? Charging new Mojo since 12 hours on 5V/2A and still blinking.

If it has been blinking since the beginning of charging, it means, Mojo does not get enough current, so it is not charging. If it is blinking only for a few hours, that means you need to reconnect your charger. If the second scenario is yours, you might find Rob Watt's explanation useful from a few pages back:

"Now one of the safety circuits is a safety timer, and this is when the charger is in full charge mode. This timer is set to about 8 hours, and normally full charge mode takes 4 hours, when the unit is off. But when the unit is on and playing, there is a risk that the safety timer will be set, as it can take 12 hours to fully charge (from flashing red) and when playing music (for those 12 hours) at the same time. If the safety timer is set, then the battery LED will slowly flash white, and no further charging will take place. To reset the timer, just disconnect the charge USB, wait 10 seconds, and reconnect, and it will recommence charging. So if you are charging and playing, then when you have finished listening, turn Mojo off, and it will be OK. When Mojo is blue, and you connect the charger, then it is trickle charge mode, and the safety charger is not operating. So if Mojo is green, the safety timer won't trip out, as it will play and leave full charge mode within 8 hours, so you will be OK. It should be OK at yellow too. I guess the easiest way of dealing with it is to turn Mojo off after listening, then you will be fine, unless you listen for longer than 8 hours starting from fully flat." Rob

Dec 9, 2016 at 6:26 AM Post #27,050 of 42,765

I used it in the following configuration non stop for a few months without changing anything before problems started to appear: signal from Windows PC & charging from Anker > Mojo always on at line level > output 1 to headphone amplifier and output 2 to active speakers

Didn't try a different charging cable since it worked perfectly for a few months, can't think of what would change after that

Have tried 2 different 2A 5V dumb chargers after the issues started to happen. Same thing...

Dec 9, 2016 at 6:36 AM Post #27,051 of 42,765
with Dynamic Driver iems mojo alone is perfect. With B&W P7 I pair it with the Duo or Arrow amp.

I ask because the Duo is less powerful than the Mojo and the Arrow rates it at 11V peak to peak, not RMS, and I suspect that it's in the same ballpark as the Mojo for RMS (I'm not sure exactly though as there's no spec listed for V RMS). I don't want to beat a dead horse here but it seems like you prefer the synergy with your headphones (absolutely nothing wrong with that) rather than the Mojo being incapable of driving them, especially for very easy to drive headphones like the P7

Dec 9, 2016 at 6:37 AM Post #27,052 of 42,765

ROB - Now one of the safety circuits is a safety timer, and this is when the charger is in full charge mode. This timer is set to about 8 hours, and normally full charge mode takes 4 hours, when the unit is off. But when the unit is on and playing, there is a risk that the safety timer will be set, as it can take 12 hours to fully charge (from flashing red) and when playing music (for those 12 hours) at the same time. If the safety timer is set, then the battery LED will slowly flash white, and no further charging will take place. To reset the timer, just disconnect the charge USB, wait 10 seconds, and reconnect, and it will recommence charging.

This is likely the problem (safety timer) which is causing the Mojo randomly turning off.. unfortunately.. unplugging and plugging is only a temporary fix until it happen again. Is there a permanent solution?

Are you saying you are unwilling to allow Mojo time to charge without simultaneously listening to music?

Dec 9, 2016 at 6:42 AM Post #27,053 of 42,765
I ask because the Duo is less powerful than the Mojo and the Arrow rates it at 11V peak to peak, not RMS, and I suspect that it's in the same ballpark as the Mojo for RMS (I'm not sure exactly though as there's no spec listed for V RMS). I don't want to beat a dead horse here but it seems like you prefer the synergy with your headphones (absolutely nothing wrong with that) rather than the Mojo being incapable of driving them.
well with those amp my hp pounds almost like shaking off my head. Without the added amp the mojo and hugo I have to raise the volume and still no powerful bass. Yes quality bass but bass that sounds far away. With the added amp im in the club. With no ano Im in line outside facing the bouncer.

Dec 9, 2016 at 6:46 AM Post #27,055 of 42,765
well with those amp my hp pounds almost like shaking off my head. Without the added amp the mojo and hugo I have to raise the volume and still no powerful bass. Yes quality bass but bass that sounds far away. With the added amp im in the club. With no ano Im in line outside facing the bouncer.

Sure, I have no doubt you like the sound of the amps, but it's more down to the amp's tuning and not the power ability of the Chord devices.

Dec 9, 2016 at 6:47 AM Post #27,056 of 42,765
Sure, I have no doubt you like the sound of the amps, but it's more down to the amp's tuning and not the power ability of the Chord devices.
ok, I dont want to carry the amps. My 2.5 iem pounds with the mojo (EQd). With B&W headphone lits of bass at home but another story outside.

Dec 9, 2016 at 6:50 AM Post #27,057 of 42,765

I ask because the Duo is less powerful than the Mojo and the Arrow rates it at 11V peak to peak, not RMS, and I suspect that it's in the same ballpark as the Mojo for RMS (I'm not sure exactly though as there's no spec listed for V RMS). I don't want to beat a dead horse here but it seems like you prefer the synergy with your headphones (absolutely nothing wrong with that) rather than the Mojo being incapable of driving them.

I respect your personal viewpoint that you prefer the synergy of your cans with an amp inserted between them and Mojo, but I'm genuinely concerned that you may be risking your hearing, playing bass so loud.

Take care, mate - you don't get a second chance, with hearing.

Dec 9, 2016 at 7:28 AM Post #27,058 of 42,765
Quote:

The unloaded FR is flat, and the same goes for higher-impedance loads. There will be a very slight (and meaningless) deviation above ~ 10 kHz with low impedance loads and a small to medium deviation with multi-driver in-ears as loads (the amount of the deviation and where it takes place will depend on the specific in-ear).

Dec 9, 2016 at 7:46 AM Post #27,059 of 42,765

Also, @ citraian,

Your earlier posts seem a little ambiguous.

You said you turned Mojo off, and you also said there did not appear to be any thermal concerns, but, regardless of that, have you tried FULLY charging Mojo without interfering with it whilst it is switched-off?

(@ Arpiben mentioned this, too)

Yeap, I let it charge for 2 days while being powered off

Did you make sure to actually disconnect the charger from Mojo, switch-off Mojo, and wait 10 seconds before reinserting the charger lead?

There's quite a bit of info near the bottom of post #3, including Rob's remarks about the timer, which were mentioned earlier, but I'll re-post here:

Quote:
  I use a dedicated charging chip for the Li battery, and this has a number of safety features, and works with a number of settings to ensure safety.

Now one of the safety circuits is a safety timer, and this is when the charger is in full charge mode. This timer is set to about 8 hours, and normally full charge mode takes 4 hours, when the unit is off. But when the unit is on and playing, there is a risk that the safety timer will be set, as it can take 12 hours to fully charge (from flashing red) and when playing music (for those 12 hours) at the same time. If the safety timer is set, then the battery LED will slowly flash white, and no further charging will take place. To reset the timer, just disconnect the charge USB, wait 10 seconds, and reconnect, and it will recommence charging. So if you are charging and playing, then when you have finished listening, turn Mojo off, and it will be OK. When Mojo is blue, and you connect the charger, then it is trickle charge mode, and the safety charger is not operating. So if Mojo is green, the safety timer won't trip out, as it will play and leave full charge mode within 8 hours, so you will be OK. It should be OK at yellow too. I guess the easiest way of dealing with it is to turn Mojo off after listening, then you will be fine, unless you listen for longer than 8 hours starting from fully flat.

Note that you can get the flashing battery LED if the USB charger voltage is low, from a charger that can't supply the current, or a USB cable that has high resistance. But you will see this pretty early on.

I hope this clarifies.

Rob

Please read very carefully - this is not flippant advice - every single detail may be important and may be the clue to get your Mojo charging successfully. Just one little overlooked thing, may be the difference between frustration or success
beerchug.gif

Dec 9, 2016 at 11:58 AM Post #27,060 of 42,765

I respect your personal viewpoint that you prefer the synergy of your cans with an amp inserted between them and Mojo, but I'm genuinely concerned that you may be risking your hearing, playing bass so loud.

Take care, mate - you don't get a second chance, with hearing.

Thats what my (at the moment) mild tinnitus is telling me from my younger days of loud car stereo and bass music and nightclubs of course.
However, in my 31 years in a factory, I never once went a day without my ear plugs. Never. As you say, there is no second chance with it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back